Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
The Transverse Metatarsal Arch

Observations concerning the transverse metatarsal arch
no anatomically or functionally relevant transverse arch was found
Patterns of weight distribution under the metatarsal heads
Only 22 (3%) of a total of 720 feet, had a dynamic metatarsal arch during the stance phase of walking, and all had known abnormality.
Evaluation of the transverse metatarsal arch of the foot with gait analysis
TMA of the foot does not exist

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
So recently we've seen new tendons discovered and now anatomical features redacted.

So recently we've seen new tendons discovered and now anatomical features redacted.

Those news stories were BS, as noted here:
New body part discovered? Yes, in 1879.

As it starts

It was startling news, but an easy story to write: Scientists have discovered a new body part! Amazing, isn't it, that something could have eluded us since the time of Hippocrates?

Well, it would be amazing, except for one little detail, a detail so trivial I'm embarrassed to bring it up: It isn't true.

But, hey, it's an unusually warm Thursday in New York, I'm feeling good about life, so let's give the journalists who bungled this story a break.

Why? Because in order to discover that the story wasn't true, they would have had to dig down all the way to the very first line of the study's abstract, which says, "In 1879, the French surgeon Segond described the existence of a 'pearly, resistant, fibrous band' at the anterolateral aspect of the human knee..."

Can't believe everything you read I guess. And I even furthered the rumor mill by converting the ligament to a tendon!

this is some guy's blog, not news. I expect there are other studies out there that contradict the three he cites. And his studies dealt only with standing and walking, not running.

Reactions: Sid
I expect there are other studies out there that contradict the three he cites.
Quite possibly! What studies were you able to find?
this is some guy's blog, not news
Very true! The author is an educated podiatrist who writes with more scientific rigor than the typical journalist. His blog and others, such as Ahcuah's, are far more informative than news articles.

this is some guy's blog, not news. I expect there are other studies out there that contradict the three he cites. And his studies dealt only with standing and walking, not running.

Did you actually read what was written there? The Journal Article itself starts out by saying, "In 1879, the French surgeon Segond described the existence of a ‘pearly, resistant, fibrous band’ at the anterolateral aspect of the human knee, attached to the eponymous Segond fracture." That is no blog; that's the scientific paper itself!

Anatomy of the anterolateral ligament of the knee.

Reactions: Sid
Only 22 (3%) of a total of 720 feet, had a dynamic metatarsal arch during the stance phase of walking, and all had known abnormality.
This makes me wonder if the metatarsal transverse arch is a structure associated with pathology, and if it is seen more in the habitually shod. If it is a pathological structure, then would stretching the forefoot improve functioning in those who have an MTA and associated foot problems?

So, it's been several months, and I've made significant improvements in my left forefoot varus and bunions. My left foot was the most affected, and it did have a transverse metatarsal arch. My right foot has been healthier, and has none.

I did not performed exercises to counteract the transverse metatarsal arch on my left foot, only to target the forefoot varus and bunions. The arch seems to have gone away incidentally.

I know, this is n=1. But, maybe my experience will help someone else out there! :D

Reactions: Kevin Millet
I appreciated the discussion about the relevance of the transverse arch. I am, seemingly, currently without one in either foot and the third metatarsal heads are painful bilaterally. Upon searching about whether a TA is necessary for optimal gate performance, I came across this 2018 study in the Journal of Physical Therapy Science:

"Relationship between transverse arch height and foot muscles evaluated by ultrasound imaging device" (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5909017/)

The conclusion I derived from this paper is that it IS important for gait, particularly for balance which I have been having difficulty with while practicing yoga, and an indication of flexor digitorum brevis and adbductor hallicus strength.

I don't believe my flat arches have ever affected my balance, but then we're all so very different.