Transitioning question-which do you think is better?

ajb422

Barefooters
Sep 28, 2010
When it comes to transitioning do you think its better to do lots of shorter runs or do longer runs that require a little rest time in between? For instance do 2-3 mile runs 4-5 days a week or 7 miles maybe once or twice a week.

I would say a lot of shorter

I would say a lot of shorter runs are better than a longer one. A couple of reasons why, your foot conditioing will happen faster and I think it is better for your general conditioning to run more frequently.

Ideally though I would mix it up and do a combination of the two.

My personal opinion on

My personal opinion on transitioning is, if you have the time, run every other day and run as far as you can handle and still be completely recovered in time for your next run. In other words, a compromise between your suggestions. Also, if you haven't recovered from your last run, take another rest day. The way I see it, time spent injured and miserable is time you could have spent training and happy if you'd only listened in time.

The time it takes to fully

The time it takes to fully transition is different for everyone due to different factors, i.e., have they remained barefoot for the majority of their life, what type of shoes (if any) do they wear when they are wearing shoes, etc. The process could take up to and even more than a year. Some people can transition in just a few months. It's difficult to give everyone the same recommendation; therefore, we err on the side of caution, as in listening to your body, and only increasing distance and speed gradually, and taking time to recoup in between runs.

With that said, typically, for someone who is completely new to this, I would recommend the shorter runs every other day. For someone in the middle to coming out of transition, I would recommend increasing the mileage a little at a time.

AJB, I have to agree with TJ

AJB, I have to agree with TJ on this one. I found that bicycling in between runs helped me burn more calories (I ride about 3x the distance I run) and keeps me active on the non-running days. My calves thanked me for it! I alternated every other day then did longer runs on the weekends. I'm still toughening up my feet but after about 6 or 7 months of it I am able to do roughly three miles every day now without issues (part of that is on grass though).

Like everyone is saying, you have to figure out what works best for you personally.

Thanks for all the

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I realize there is some trial and error that goes into all this but I like to hear what others are doing and get some suggestions from all of your experiences. I run nearly every morning but the amount I do each day varies SOO much that I have alot of options for working in the barefoot miles without really changing anything with my scheduled runs. Plus I found I don't hate running in the evenings if I'm barefoot so I can randomly add in a couple miles at night too. So while I know this is very individualized I do really appreciate all your suggestions.

Yeah, shorter runs are best.

Yeah, shorter runs are best. I've been trying to get into longer runs, and really I just ended up running less and not making much progress. Getting a short run in every other day is pretty much the way to go, though obviously some people take it a bit differently . Also, don't worry too much about distance, just listen to your body, it'll tell you when its time to head home. This keeps you from worrying about mileage too much and then hurting yourself by thinking "Oh its just another mile." instead of "Hm, I guess my feet are done for the day."

AJB - I'm just transitioning

AJB - I'm just transitioning as well (started about 4 weeks ago) and am doing the shorter runs 3 times a week. I tried to do my regular runs (5-7 miles with shoes) and then throw in a couple barefoot runs (shorter distances) 2 or 3 times a week. This totally didn't work for me because the transition was harder on my calves than I expected. Running the longer runs in shoes aggravated my already sore calves. It was only recently that I decided to give up on the shoes completely (and my longer runs) and stick with barefoot only and small mileage. I've had two very successful runs since making this decision and have been free of all the newbie pains and issues so far. This worked for me, but you'll need to let your own body tell you what the best plan is.

Always nice to have everyone

Always nice to have everyone in consensus. Shorter bf runs it is.

Danjo- I do like not having to worry about distance at all and even better not worrying about speed. Its kinda nice not to have my ipod calling off distances to me constantly.

Zap- Yeah giving up my long (shod) runs isn't really something I'm mentally capable of. Thats my weekly mini-escape from life. Its the only time I make it far enough away from civilization that I feel like I'm free of the city. Luckily I haven't had any problems with running with shoes other than constantly having to remind myself that I really can't do it barefoot yet and need to keep the shoes on.

ajb422 wrote:Zap- Yeah giving

ajb422 said:
Zap- Yeah giving up my long (shod) runs isn't really something I'm mentally capable of. Thats my weekly mini-escape from life. Its the only time I make it far enough away from civilization that I feel like I'm free of the city.
Oh I totally hear you on that!! In fact, it was a very hard pill for me to swallow. There were lots of tears involved because my longer runs are what keep me sane. I need a run that is long enough to get myself into that meditative rhythm. Its really cathartic for me. I couldn't stand losing that. I totally didn't expect this barefoot thing to be so life changing and emotional. And I'm not a super emotional person either. Unfortunately my transition is pretty extreme because I had only been running with a pose form for about a year and half and I have ran in ultra motion control shoes all my life (except when I ran x-country in HS). The shoes were acting like casts on my feet and I had a hell of a time going back and forth from shoe to barefoot.

Its still a scary leap for me to give up shoes all together for running. My next race is on Halloween and it involves military obstacles so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Not sure I want to trash my VFFs right out of the gate with all the mud involved but I might need my motion control "blocks" for scaling walls or balancing on beams.

I am in the shorter runs

I am in the shorter runs camp as well.

I tried to do longer runs and I had to take more time to recover when my heart and mind really could have used runs more often even if not at as long of distances as I would have liked.

Last spring I thought that a year of transitioning was a huge amount of time but in hindsight it went by so quickly and I am going to do my first official marathon next weekend barefoot. I am glad I took it slow getting here since I have not had to take any time off for any kind of injury.

Angie Bee wrote:Last spring I

Angie Bee said:
Last spring I thought that a year of transitioning was a huge amount of time but in hindsight it went by so quickly and I am going to do my first official marathon next weekend barefoot. I am glad I took it slow getting here since I have not had to take any time off for any kind of injury.

Wow Angie! That is awesome! Good luck with your marathon! That's totally inspiring.

I feel much better about my

I feel much better about my hybrid-running after hearing your perspectives and different stories of transitioning. There are so many experienced suggestions and all are good, but I'm just not comfortable with "BF only and all footwear is wrong". Midweek- I try for several short BF runs and I'm always sans shoes while I work, etc.. I use the VFFs to get me to the park and back because of new chip and seal that literally tore up my feet.

Zap and ajb422, I soo relate to not giving up my long shod runs during BF build-up. I do a 10 or 11 miler every weekend on a rocky trail and it's like a reset button for the next 7 days of my life. Also, my running partner is one of my closest friends and it's just our thing. For the long runs, I ditched the orthotics & cushy shoes for a light, flexible pair of flats I found for $20 and I pay very close attention to my form/cadence. Not sure if I'll ever be able to run this particular trail completely bare anyway, but of course, I said that about going barefoot at all awhile ago. Never thought I'd ditch the high-heels too. They're so pretty! (& in the yard-sale box now)

Go Angie Bee!

Congrats on the marathon

Congrats on the marathon Angie! Thats super amazying.

I do hope to not be a hybrid runner for too much longer. Hopefully in a half year or so I'll be completely switched over or at least in minimal shoes for some of the trail stuff. This is mostly due to despising shoes not out of any real belief that all shoes are evil. I haven't done enough research to declare that, I'll leave that to everyone else here. I spend my life reading journal articles I don't feel like doing it for my hobby :smile:. I didn't have to ditch high heels because I could never wear the things to begin with, I'm a klutz and would fall and break an ankle.

ajb422 wrote:I didn't have to

ajb422 said:
I didn't have to ditch high heels because I could never wear the things to begin with, I'm a klutz and would fall and break an ankle.
Hahahha! That's totally me too! Never could wear heels because of my pronation and neuroma. I'm a sloppy mess in anything over an inch. Wish I could wear them sometimes because I'm short (5' 3") and would love to look taller (not to mention there are some super cute heels I would love to buy.)

There is a general rule with

There is a general rule with running (probably with any sport), and it certainly applies to bfr:

1. Increase the frequency

2. Increase the distance

3. Increase the speed

Follow this order.

At the beginning, you will automatically increase distance, when you increase frequency. This is okay, within limits. Once you have reached a higher level of ability (i.e. are starting to work on speed), never increase more than one at a time. (i.e. if you increase the frequency again, you have to drop the average distance, so that your weekly distance increases only minimally, if it all).

Whenever I have violated these principles, I have injured myself.

Best of luck,

Jamie

Also, you could always try

Also, you could always try swimming or biking or something if you don't want to give up the feeling you get from long runs. I find that swimming for an hour gives me pretty much the same feeling as a ten miler, though I haven't quite gotten the mental feeling of having slept afterwards, just because I haven't been swimming long enough that I can just go on auto-pilot. I'm sure I'll get there eventually though.

Zap- Luckily I'm 5'6" so I

Zap- Luckily I'm 5'6" so I don't really feel any need to be taller. It might not be "tall" but its tall enough for me. Especially since if I'm going somewhere fancy enough to risk heels I'm probably with my husband and he isn't that much taller than me. I can pretend I'm doing it to not be taller than him instead of my clumbsiness.

Danjo- Yeah if only I had discovered bf running three months sooner thats exactly what I would of done. I used to spend all that time in the gym, because I thought I hated running. Then I decided I liked being outside soooo much better that I couldn't go back to spending that much time in the gym and didn't feel like buying a bike. I still go to the gym a few days a week to do light crosstraining and weights, but I like the bulk of my time to be outside. Plus its a student gym so it doesn't open until 6 and if I'm going to spend a few hours working out and still make it to school at a decent hour it requires me to start at 5.

Its all good though. I think I'm actually going to hit 50% of my mileage bf or with zems this week. I'm hoping for alittle over 25 miles bf/zem, but we'll see how the next few days go. The rain sort of killed my hopes of not using the zems at all :-(. Honestly if I just dropped a couple of the shorter runs I'd probably be able to do my long runs as a bf/zem split but I don't want to push it. Since everyone was quite sure that shorter more frequent runs were better I figure I should listen. I'm trying real hard to be patient with the transitioning, but I'm not really a patient person.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts