Transitioning out of orthotics advice needed for PF

Lizc0002

Barefooters
Jan 20, 2011
Hi Everyone, I am new here and new to BFR. I have battled PF for the past 6 years, but actually thought I had a jump on it and managed for run a 1/2 marathon this past Nov without it acting up which was a major victory for me. BUT I developed bi-lateral runner's knee and while trying to recover from that had this though, AH, I must need new orthotics, and made an appt with my podiatrist. Somewhere before the appt though I started to think "what Liz you are going to shell out another 350.00 for orthotics which never helped in the first place?" I had been reading up off and on about BFR and decided to give it a try. I was just/and am so sick and tired of being injured.

I am now convinced my problem is weak feet from orthotics not defective feet, but my PF is flaring up something major while I am trying to get out of my orthotics and i am at a loss as to what to do about it. I am only running 1-2 days per week and only am up to .90 miles. I stretch my calves, roll my calves (I also take yoga so I think my calves are pretty well stretched) ice and roll golf balls mainly under my feet during the day. I am walking barefoot as much as possible and trying to switch to minimalist shoes (only thing I own right now that doesn't hurt is my Birkenstocks, not ideal I know since they still have arch support and rigid soles, higher heel etc) but I am at a loss. Am I doing more damage to my feet by wearing the orthotics? I just don't know how to transition out of these gosh darn orthotics that have me crippled. I bought a night splint today for the foot that is the worse of the two and am going to start wearing that as well and I am taking Aleve. I just want to be able to do what I love, I am beginning to think that maybe BFR is not for me? (although I don't yet believe this to be true, I am just discouraged) and I know orthotics aren't the answer either, but what is? Getting fat and sitting on my couch eating bon bons is not an option, LOL

Liz

I'll read this, and I got

I'll read this, and I got your email, Liz. I will respond shortly. Welcome!

I read your post here, and I

I read your post here, and I will still respond to your email shortly. About your post here...

The orthotics may seem to help because it's possible that they are doing the work and bearing the load for your feet, work that your feet should have been doing all along, so that they could become strong and not have to rely on a crutch.

I have had PF 3 times now, the first 2 times were from wearing shoes. The first time, I was in the middle of transitioning and wearing shoes at the moment I took that horrible step, but I was able to work through it by continuing to run, with less shoe (more barefoot, some VFFs), wearing a night splint, stretching my calves, icing, and taking IB. It took two months to get over it completely.

The second time it happened, I was going to run in VFFs in a Half the next day, but it was raining, and I didn't want to get the VFFs wet, since I didn't think they would dry out in time for the race (not that I race; I am a turtle after all). I decided to go into the Georgia Dome to pick up my race packet in my old ASICS Kayanos. I put them on, took a step left, then a step right, and I experienced a most horrific, sharp pain in my right foot...in just two steps of wearing my ASICS I reignited the "dormant" PF. I ended up wearing a pair of Crocs into get my packet, limping the whole way. I was able to run the Half the next morning, but after that, I ditched the shoes entirely, followed the other same practices, and it only took one month to get over it.

The third time, which I am still dealing with, I developed PF after having cryosurgery for Morton's Neuroma. I spent about 3 months walking around on my heels, since I couldn't bear any weight on the balls of my feet/forefoot. Of course, this time though I have PF in both feet, which would only make sense since I walked on my heels with 2 feet. Lucky me. After I was able to start putting weight on the rest of my foot, I started back to my running by walking at first, then running slowly and only running for short distances, until I was able to build up to around 5 miles, not at all like my 10-milers I loved running.

I then started taking antibiotics for Rosecea. Within 2 weeks of doing so, my PF started getting worse, it hurt so bad to even stretch my calves or wear night splints. I was in the worst PF pain I had ever had. It felt like I had a sunburn on the inside of my skin, and not only on the soles of my feet, but I began having bad inflammation in my left wrist and my left arm that radiated all the way up into my arm pit toward my chest. I stopped running completely. (And yes, the member here all know how pitiful I was through that time...thanks guys!) I was seriously bedridden for weeks and could not even walk without EXTREME pain. My steps were very slow, and very short. I will never forget that pain. Then my girl JSchwab mentioned she couldn't get well while she was on antibiotics for some other health problem, and that got me to thinking. I couldn't sleep that whole night. I jumped out of bed at 4 a.m., did some research, and found that quinolone antibiotics cause tendon damage. The Plantar Fascia is considered a tendon. The article explained that runners and people who do extreme exercises should not take quinolone antibiotics and especially people who "already have developed a case of plantar fasciitis!" I stopped taking them immediately. Within 2 weeks, I could tell I was starting to get a lot better. I was still having pain, and I still have some now in my wrist, arm, AT, and PF, but NOTHING like it was. I found out that the anitbiotic I was taking wasn't acutally a quinolone, but I still firmly believe that I had a bad reaction to it that caused my almost gone PF to worsen.

I saw an orthopedic surgeon, and they did x-rays and MRIs on both of my feet. They couldn't find anything wrong, except on the MRI, there was "extreme swelling." The doctor prescribed (now this is IMPORTANT!!!!) a very strong anti-inflammatory, Voltaren pills and gel, gel because it takes a couple or few days for the pills to get in your system. The gel rocks, but the pills are a Godsend! Be sure to ask your doctor for a prescription of Voltaren pills and gel. Then just for added measure I got some Inflammarest, an all natural remedy for inflammation. You can check with your heath food/supplement store or order it from Amazon.com. It works extremely well, and the combination of Voltaren and Inflamarest cannot be beat...so far as I found. I have stopped taking the Inflamarest, but I got three months prescription for the Voltaren pills; I'm almost ready for my third month's prescription. My problem now is that if I stop taking the Voltaren for just one day, that sunburn feeling comes back in my feet. The PF pain is no where near what it was when I was bedridden with it, but those little pains in my heel and that sunburn pain on the inside of my feet along the fascia is a "kind" warning not to do too much. Listen to your body. Don't push yourself! Be patient. It may take some time, but you can and will improve. Just keep doing all the treatments you are doing right now, and be sure to keep your miles low... AND MOST OF ALL, DO NOT WEAR SHOES with an elevated heel or cushioning.

Lately, I have been doing P90X, and I think those exercises are really helping too. I will continue to work on getting my mileage up and as often as I can, and I will hope that soon, my PF will be a bad memory.

I am able to run up to 7-8 miles at a time now, still not back to my 30 - 40 mpw though, and if the weather would cooperate and my hubby's hours would get back to normal, I would be able to run more days per week than I do right now. I think I am on the mends, but having a case of PF in the works from the MN cryosurgery and adding in the antibiotics was like adding fuel to a fire. It really messed me up there for awhile.

That condition Longboard was probably talking about was Morton's Neuroma, not PF, but I'm not sure. Longboard? I'll email you separately on that.

Thank you for taking the time

Thank you for taking the time to respond with such a thorough account of your own issues with PF. For now I am going to try and tough it out without the orthotics. I have been on heavy duty anti-inflammatories for quite awhile now due to the runner's knee which is finally healed so I hesitate to go on them again unless I have no choice. Thanks again, and I send healing anti PF vibes your way!

Liz

TJ, I knew that you conquered

TJ, I knew that you conquered PF succesfully using a combination of techniques.

I assume your MN is less irritating when barefoot, but not cured.

My guess was that quitting the orthotics cold turkey and moving slowly from rest to walking to short bits of running and slowly ramping up the running would be Liz's best choice.

I believe that using the orthotics during healing while running and walking may feel comfortable, but the weakening of the PF will continue to progress.

Well don't forget about the

Well don't forget about the Inflamarest I talked about. That's an all natural product.

Barefoot TJ wrote:Well don't

Barefoot TJ said:
Well don't forget about the Inflamarest I talked about. That's an all natural product.

If it works, that's all that counts.

As far as natural, so are tobacco, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, weed, cafeine, table sugar, and lard.

I take laboratory manufactured statins and angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors daily to stay healthy, and avoid natural butter, steaks, and maple syrup like the plague.

Natural's halo and synthetic's bum rap distort reality all too often.

Your success with Inflamarest's use is the real proof, not it's origin.

The new Merrell shoes might

The new Merrell shoes might work for you as a new pair of minimalist shoes http://www.merrell.com/us/en/barefoot Barefoot jason seems to like em quite a lot. also, whenever you plan to do any running it might be a good idea to not take aleve that day, that way you are fully in-tuned with your feet and will know with certainty when to call it a day. Just give it time, you will be running with ease before you know it. other than that, ive read really great things about the paleo lifestyle relating to general health and healing, it could be worth a shot. good luck.

And you have something

And you have something against tobacco, alcohol, heroin, cocaine, weed, cafeine, table sugar, and lard, Board? Ha! I told her that in case she has an aversion to synthetics. :tongue:

BTW, I happen to like sugar,

BTW, I happen to like sugar, none of that other stuff. Sugar is my drug of choice, or perhaps I am its drug of choice. ;-)

I'll go with

I'll go with fermented barley, rye, or wheat flavored & preserved with female flower clusters as my natural energy source anyday.

Uh, I'm not sure I want to

Uh, I'm not sure I want to ask.

I'm pretty sure most peope

I'm pretty sure most peope just call it beer.

Never was really sure what hops were til I looked it up

Sure, I knew they grew on a vine but female flower clusters?

I think I like my brew even more now that I know that!

Didn't know cocaine and

Didn't know cocaine and heroin were an option, that would definitely not care that I am injured with this blasted PF again. The frustrating thing is this time I did not even do TMTS (as I am so prone to do), it was just shucking the dreaded orthotics which led me to this I think.

Another of my incessent questions: Do you think I can run once a week if I keep the distance low?(I'm only up to .90 miles per run) I had read a post previously TJ where you said it is possible to run just bend knees a lot. I am going crazy without running, have been injured since the end of November!

TJ, right now I can't spend another dime on PF otherwise I would get the anti-inflammatory you suggest. My DH is ready to kill me due to 2 night splints, a pair of Vibrams, soft star shoes and one of those devices to stetch my calves. I also am capitated to one podiatrists group and they were the ones who put me in these orthotics in the first place so I really don't want to go back and tell them I am ditching the orthotics and BFR, I am quite sure they will give me the ol' you are getting what is coming to you sister.

I knew you were talking about

I knew you were talking about beer when it comes to everyone else, but when it comes to you, I was afraid to ask. ;-)

so i've got to start out

so i've got to start out saying cocaine and heroine are NOT natural. they are derived from natural plants, with some very intensive work. i've chewed on coca leaves before and i doubt, as never having used cocaine, that it gives the same rush that the drug does. it is medicine to the indigenous people and even used in western medicine.

with that said i started running with some pf. i had it worse before but at the time it wasn't bothering me as bad. it got a lot better once i switched to vff and better going bf. some time ago my form got bad and it's bothering me again, though not nearly like it used to.

i think you should continue running. the problem didn't show up over night and it won't go away that fast either. it's going to take work and time. stop now and it will only get worse. don't rely on meds and splints to solve your problem. maybe for some relief but if it's everyday you won't be able to learn to listen to your body.

good luck and keep at it. i am with hope and the knowledge that i will be pain free by working on my form and continuing with running, lifting, and yoga.

ciao,

mike

Thanks Mike! For now I am

Thanks Mike! For now I am taking a short break from running (I don't plan to do it for long, plus no matter what my plan is, I never last long without breaking down and running) For me since I am also transitioning out of orthotics I think I need to be extra cautious. Right now my feet are adjusting to being barefoot and I think that is enough of a workout. Today is Day 4 orthotic free. Some pain, but nothing horrific. I continue to ice, roll balls, stretch my calves and foam roll as well as doing some strengthening exercises and while not running I am swimming, doing yoga and pilates so I don't completely loose my mind. Good luck to you with the PF, it is the worst injury in my opinion!

Liz

PS, out of curiosity what

PS, out of curiosity what specifically do you think it is with your form that is causing the PF to flare? I am always looking for hints about what I could be doing wrong.

Liz

You're smart to focus on just

You're smart to focus on just walking barefoot for now. It's is so important that you build up the strength in your feet, not just the muscles but the tendons, ligaments, and bones as well. Walking will do this. We advise people who are just starting out, to try walking for a few weeks barefoot before ever taking their first barefoot run. You should also do exercises specifically for strengthening the feet. I'll bet YouTube has several you could check out.

i'm going to need to visit my

i'm going to need to visit my chiro again here soon. i thought i hurt my ankle jumping in water running the warrior dash. thought about it today and it was hurting me before that. i fell on my hip years ago and another chiro had told me one of the legs was shortening to compensate for the other. of course i don't remember which one and this new chiro didn't mention anything.

i've had a sore right shoulder for years now, massages don't relieve the pain, neither does sex. my hip hurts constantly no matter what i do. all of it is showing in my form. i ran with some new lunas i made the other day and i heard my left foot slapping down. when i'm bf i feel myself hobbling but really can't tell which foot is to blame. once i notice it i bend my knees more and pick up my feet and my form smoothes out.

i keep on going until i no longer notice that my form is bad until my left calf is hurting and then i'm so far out i have no choice but to finish my run. so that's what i have to work through. pf in the left foot, sore left calf, sore hip and right leg, sore right shoulder. it's time i get some outside help.

mike

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test