Transition from BF to Minimal?

Danjo

Barefooters
Sep 6, 2010
Hey, guys, I'm back, haha. Been gone since.... november or something like that? I didn't run much over the winter at all, and I'm just trying to get back into shape for the summer now.

I've been running barefoot for almost a year now, and I'm not having any real problems with it, aside from getting myself to actually go out and run. What I am having trouble with anything on my feet. I'm getting the XC itch, and I'm thinking about going out for the team for one last year. (I'm going to be a Senior is highschool.) The only problem is that our state athletics counsel has made a rule that footwear must be worn that fully covers the foot, and has a distinct heel. (Which rules out huaraches and socks.) So in order to race I'd have to have some type of "normal" minimal shoe. Thats not so bad, except that I can't run in them for crap. I have a pair of huaraches, and I've kinda gone in a run for them a couple times, but it always feels unbearably akward. Kinda like when I was starting out barefoot, but worse.

Anyway, my point in writing is to ask if any of you have done the barefoot to minimalist transition (not the other way around) and if you have any suggestions besides just running awkwardly until I figure it out.

That's BS that they would

That's BS that they would make you run in a shoe with an elevated heel, especially since we are trying to get shoe companies to go the opposite way, and especially since a lot of the big shoes companies are recognizing the error of their ways and creating shoes without heels! You should bring this point up to them, Danjo. Then try to find the most minimalist footwear you can run in. Good luck, and welcome back. BTW, the other day, I was thinking, "Where's Danjo?" ;-)

Well actually it doesn't have

Well actually it doesn't have to be a raised heel, at least I don't think so. As far as I know "Distinct heel" roughly translates to "not a sock". It just has to be shoe shaped, and stay that way when your foot isn't in it. So I might just get some Zems or maybe a pair of Feelmax. I dunno, that can wait until the actual season, because I figure that running in my huaraches will translate pretty well to other shoes. Thanks TJ, I just hadn't been running much, so I didn't have much of a reason to get on. Though I did try to log on about a month ago, but the server wouldn't let me or something. Works now though, obviously.

Just make the move.  There

Just make the move. There are no secrets or tricks to it. You know how to run so now all you gotta do is change it up a bit. I would start doing at least 50% of your runs in some sort of shoe right now so that you are fully adjusted and able to spend the majority of your summer focusing on training rather than adapting. If you spend all summer running bare and then try to just toss shoes on for xc season then you might hurt your chances of running well. If you start getting used to it now then in a few weeks you'll be able to do things like get your speed work and hill intervals in so you go into the season ready to rock and roll.

The Altra Adam - if it ever

The Altra Adam - if it ever hits the market - has my attention as a good option to try. It seems to have the durability and fit factors of the VFFs without the toe pockets, which sometimes give me trouble when running. Just another option to look into. Welcome back to the site.

Hi Danjo, glad to see you're

Hi Danjo, glad to see you're back!

I had the same problem with transition. I'm confortable barefoot but shoes feel ackward. I think huaraches feel ackward in their own particular way. If your goal is to transition to a normal looking shoe I would recommand running in watershoes, at least until you find something minimal that's approved by your coach.

What worked best for me was to go on a long run barefoot, shoes in hands, and after a few miles when my barefoot form is good I put the shoes on. If felt horrible at first: heavy, stiff, sweaty but at least, with the fresh memory of a few barefoot miles I could keep my form (mostly) and cadence. It's harder to run well in shoes. It's easy to get sloppy and it could lead to injury so be careful.

Make sure the shoes are large enough. For me it's a size above what's comfortable on cold feet.

Once you transition to 99% shod keep a barefoot run here and there on rough surface to remind yourself of proper form...and to let your toes enjoy the freedom.

Welcome back. wondering what

Welcome back. wondering what happened to you.

you can do one of two things, maybe three. challenge them before the season starts. you can gather a lot of evidence from your friends here and even get help to write a speech. that's the hard way to go but if you really want to run in huaraches or even bf it will be worth the challenge and look good on your resume.

two would be to add a heel to your huaraches. you could probably sew on there a piece of leather just on the heel that will stand on its own. you just may have a fight each time you run in them. or if you have any mexican markets near you go see if they have any fully covered huaraches. they look more like loafers with stiff tire soles but are very comfortable. i know my next trip to Mexico i will be buying myself a few pairs.

three is just get some shoes. with a good enough form shoes won't hurt you too much. there are a lot of options out there and more on the way. anyway you go good luck.

Mike

The Merrell Trail Gloves are

The Merrell Trail Gloves are a good option for you. If you have to run on grass or mud a lot, I'd also go with Inov X-Talon 190's. Those have a very modest heel lift but I don't notice it. Even if you can get away with it, I wouldn't use VFFs. Catching weeds between your toes is really annoying. Whatever you go with, don't judge it too much by the dry toe box width, because it will stretch and loosen with wear and persperation/rain/mud/dew/etc.

Hi Aaron, there's a

Hi Aaron, there's a Nebraska-Omaha Chapter now, so you may want to join that one and, of course, you can stay in the one you're already in.

Danjo, you said maybe some ZEMs. Jimmy can confirm, but they are supposed to be releasing their running version soon, so you may want to wait for those, depending on how long it takes to get them.

Another minimal shoe options

Another minimal shoe options is the Mizuno Wave Universe 3 racing flat (~4mm drop, 3.6oz with a very generous toe box). I have a pair and love them for when I have to run in shoes.

Also check out the Somnio NADA. Advertised as zero drop, ~4oz, and nice wide toe box. If I didn't have the Mizunos, I'd definitely go with the NADAs.

Nice to see you back online

Nice to see you back online here, Mr. Dj. Whatever style youn go with, just get your miles in and pay huge attention to your legs and feet. As Sloutre says, give your tootsies a chance to stretch out on their own on a regular basis.

You'll probably be able to run practices BF and only show up with shoes for the competitions - my guess. You'll be free to run in or out of shoes for any extracurricular milage, too.

Luck!

Hey Danjo,Happy return- been

Hey Danjo,

Happy return- been off the grid too lately and trying to get back into balance. I've been running purely barefoot since January, but a week and a half ago I took a spot on a relay team and just knew my bare feet weren't ready to handle 3 legs of 5-6 miles each over unknown terrain and in darkness. I wore my Speedo water shoes and only suffered 2 toe blisters after 11 miles. The adjustment to wearing them was awkward at first but then I didn't much notice because my form was still pretty good and I just focused on the run. Good luck whatever you put on!

twinkletoes wrote:Hey

twinkletoes said:
Hey Danjo,Happy return- been off the grid too lately and trying to get back into balance. I've been running purely barefoot since January, but a week and a half ago I took a spot on a relay team and just knew my bare feet weren't ready to handle 3 legs of 5-6 miles each over unknown terrain and in darkness. I wore my Speedo water shoes and only suffered 2 toe blisters after 11 miles. The adjustment to wearing them was awkward at first but then I didn't much notice because my form was still pretty good and I just focused on the run. Good luck whatever you put on!
I've used a pair of Speedo's that have lasted a few Winters with little to no signs of wear. I think they cost me $20, which is pretty expensive for aquasocks, but a lot cheaper than most "minimalist shoes.

I would suggest running as shoes as little as possible -- just enough so that you can race in them when the time comes, but no more than that.

Welcome back, Twink.  ;-)  We

Welcome back, Twink. ;-) We missed you!

man that sucks!  I'm afraid

man that sucks! I'm afraid of stuff like this in the future becaue my daughter likes to run barefoot and I'm afraid they won't let her (she's only 4 so I have some time before she gets to that point!). Now if it was me, I'd say "oh yeah I'm running in shoes, no worries" and then either show up bare or wear something I could just kick off after the race started... and then probably take the DQ they would give me at every event... :p ...especially if you're fast (I'm not) and can place well barefoot it might open some eyes.

but then again I'm kind of a pot-stirrer like that. ;)

the suggestion of the trail gloves might not be too bad, as they look like any other shoe out there, which might distract from the fact they have no "distinct heel". Since its XC they might be a suitable tool anyway, as I found them to be pretty reliable in slippery/rough conditions (winter in Michigan). Just be sure you like the fit if you go that way as I know a lot of peopel who either love them or hate them.

Thanks TJ! I'm definitely

Thanks TJ! I'm definitely missing my fellow BFers- especially as it seems I'm the only one running around here in a skirt and no shoes. Or a skirt and water shoes- that's another special look.

sorry to jack your thread

sorry to jack your thread Danjo.

Twink. i may head out to Reno in September to visit my brother. he just got a house there and i'll be on a short break from school. i'll try to remember to PM you if i go.

Mike

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts