Training, sorta, for my First Half Marathon!!!

jldeleon

Barefooters
Apr 9, 2011
Oregon
Except, I don't train. Ever. Actually, that's a bit of a lie.

I have been training for Race the Reaper (a six-mile, bad-butt obstacle course) for the last three months. It has taken me three months, at three - four times a week, 3 sets of 12 reps, each time, of pull downs, dips, chin-up, pull-ups, pull-backs, pull-overs, and push-outs, JUST to get to 30 pounds on the assisted chin-up/dip/pull-up machine. Yup, I'm going to die.

But, back to the half marathon...it's in December. It's on pavement. I'm a trail runner. I run an average of 15 miles a week, and had worked my way up to being able to do it in one 10 mile and one 5 mile, for four consecutive weeks. Then it got to hot to run at all.

So, now, I have to purposefully start doing some pavement runs. And, I kinda already have. And, it just so happens that my new, regular running "trail" is more hard and flat, than it is anything else. And my body has alerted me to my excrutiatingly weak gluteus medius muscles - which only really bother me when I run on flat surfaces, though I'm not really sure why that is. I have already added on exercises for them to my strength training regimen. I also recently (two weeks ago) started doing weighted squats. I'm up to 20 lbs and could easily do more, but am holding off for another week. That will really help, as well.

My only goal is to finish (no time goals, not even cut-off) without injury.

I signed up for it on a whim - WTH is wrong with me? (I will have my husband get out the excel spreadsheet, for that list...).

First off, congrats on deciding to do a half. It's one of my favorite race distances.

Second, don't over think things. If you are already up to ten miles, it's in the bag. Now don't go sitting on the couch and eating junk food, but just keep doing what you are doing. If your goal is to finish injury free, then don't use the term "training" that will cause you problems. Just run.

Third. Yes, pavement is different, but I think it is easier to go from trail to pavement, at least in my case. Most road runners going to trail will have frustrations with varied terrain and trying to maintain their road pace. The biggest challenge for you is to hold back your pace on pavement. It is easy to go out too fast and then the joint pains set in. Yes, you will have to add more pavement into your running schedule. Another problem with road is boredom, but in the race I'm sure you will keep yourself very entertained.

Reactions: jldeleon
Congrats is always exciting to embark on something new and don't sweat it Jen, you'll do fine.

Best wishes Jen. That's my goal too. Perhaps in the spring. Marathon in the fall? Boston in 2015? :(
hahaha! don't be sad Wayne-you can do it!!!!

I suck at training advice :wacky: I've for the most part just come up with my routine on my own, and tweaked a few things when they have come up in discussion on the forum. So I'll just say 'good luck'. But I agree with Rick, sounds like your in good shape to be ready. Sounds like you havent run the 10 milers though in a while, so I'd cautiously work back up to it, and focus on more asphalt miles in the process and you'll be fine. ;)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts