Training Plans

Cali Girl

Barefooters
May 12, 2010
They're everywhere on the net but I have no idea which ones are good. I finished the cto5k last week but my first 5k is not until mid August. Being new to running I would really like to continue to follow a plan of sorts to keep me motivated until I feel more confident just going out and running by myself.

I have been looking at 8k, 10k and the One Hour Runner plans but my eyes are crossing over all of the info available. So I thought I would come here and ask real life runners who have busy lives like myself. What is a good plan to continue in my learning adventure?

This is a job for Super

This is a job for Super Jason! You could ask him if he has anything in the works...if not, you could always plant the bug in his ear.

whistle.gif

well my friend that depends

well my friend that depends on a lot of variables. i can write you a personal plan if you'd like that would cater to your schedule and goals as a runner or just for the 5k you have coming up. if you want you can send me a message on here with some details like your schedule )days a week you want to/can run, mileage you are comfortable with now, cross training you do or want to work into the schedule, and short/long terms goals. i usually charge for this kind of stuff but i dont mind helping people out from time to time
smile.png
just let me know. there are some good publicly available plans but again you have to find one that fits your needs.

Good idea TJ-- Maybe Jason

Good idea TJ-- Maybe Jason will see this and the bug will be planted. I know he is extremely busy so don't want to bug, but maybe this could be a winter venture for him. *hint, hint* hahaha!

Jimmy-- That is the problem. There is too much out there and being new I have no clue what is considered a healthy plan and such. I will drop you a line. Thanks for the offer.

Wendy, Thank you. I think I read over his plan. Will look again cause I've seen so much I just don't remember. lol

I second Hal Higdon's

I second Hal Higdon's training plans. They are easy to follow, so your eyes don't get crossed. Plus, it's understood that they are "guidelines", and you don't need to follow them religiously.

Honestly, now would be a good time to just stick where you're at mileage wise, and start exploring other places to run. You'll know when you're ready to up the mileage.

good advice running through

good advice running through this thread...i like that. i have worked with hal in the past...long time ago and i approve of his methods (as if i'm a great authority). i also like jeff galloway's plans too as i've spoken with him about training philosophy in the past and he is centered around injury avoidance training which i am all about!

i too would be curious to see what jason would come up with as i've read his book and like the way he thinks
smile.png

the difficulty in making a generic training plan for barefoot runners is the vastly different starting spots each one could potentially be starting at. it's because of that that i didnt feel comfortable just throwing out a plan initially when i saw this post. there are a lot of different things that can effect progression for a barefoot/minimalist runner that a shod runner does not have to worry about and can push through without risking injury. we barefooters make it difficult!

Yes, variables are the

Yes, variables are the starting point.

What about the paperback version, Jason?

Thank you everyone for the

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Much appreciated!

While we've got this thread

While we've got this thread going, I have a training plan question: are there trail-specific plans out there? I'm currently used to running the (easy) trails and slightly hilly streets in my town, but Davie D and I are planning to run a 10 miler in October, on considerably more difficult terrain. I can get to that park a few times over the summer, but I'm wondering what else I should be doing to prepare?

Give me the weekend and I'll

Give me the weekend and I'll have a 5k, 10k, half mary, mary, 50 miler, and 100 mile training plan. I was planning on adding it to the 2nd edition of my book. Keep that under wraps, though.
wink_smile.gif

My plans aren't going to be Earth-shattering... rather a simple approach to preparing to run each distance. Remember, I'm a recreation runner... not one of those jack-rabbit elites.
regular_smile.gif

We should add your training

We should add your training plans to the Barefoot Running 101 tab, Jason, for everyone here at the BRS. If we can afford it later, we can make one of those plug in the variables programs, so they can customize the plans. Thoughts?

I like Silly's response in

I like Silly's response in post #5, that's what I'd go with...esp since you are in no rush to up mileage. Shoot for maybe a 10% increase in mileage each week.

My training is all built

My training is all built around specific goals. I put a very big goal out there, maybe 6 or 9 months away, then place smaller ones in front of it, as stepping stones to build up to reaching that goal. It all sounds kind of corny, but without those challanges to push me, I tend to just kind of stagnate and don't improve. The goals don't have to be earth shatterring either. Make sure they are reachable. Once you decide on a specific distance, time, or race goal, then it makes building a plan to reach it alot easier.

TJ- no problem! Dirtdemon-

TJ- no problem!

Dirtdemon- that's a good strategy. I don't usually use a specific training plan until I get within two months of a goal race, but I will use an informal "stepping stone" plan.

This year, I ran a few sub-10K races from fall to spring to keep motivated to maintain some degree of speed. I ran a 12 hour to keep some degree of endurance. All the races were prep for my goal race at the end of July.

Same here...I ran a few 5k's

Same here...I ran a few 5k's this spring to keep the speed, and now I'm on to longer runs as I've got a marathon coming up next month. They are all steps towards a 100k in August and a 50 miler in September. It all works together to keep me from getting lazy. Those 5k's really got me hungry to compete and push myself.

If you could do that, Tyler.

If you could do that, Tyler. That would be ground-breaking, and totally off the charts! Do you kids still say that?

EDIT: Sorry, Tyler. That should have been Tyler, you guys.