Training on an Empty Stomach

From what I've read and heard one might want to be careful and experiment when eating avocados while running. .

Nick - I wonder if maybe it has to do with the ripeness of the avocado(?). I eat them all the time, but the only ones we buy are the black "Hass" variant. I LOVE them, but only when they're really ripe (with salt/lemon/tobasco - wow, I could live on those things).

Anyway, I've eaten before and during runs, no tummy troubles.

I just read about it or saw it somewhere... I wish I could remember where. They did say it was very good for the fats while running ultras... I want to say it was from someone who ran Western States and hadn't experimented with them prior to the race and it nearly caused him to dnf. I can't remember the exact details though as it was a while ago that I saw it.

I'm not going to dispute that they are good for you while running, I just remember seeing somewhere that they can cause stomach problems if you eat too many during a race.

I just read about it or saw it somewhere... I wish I could remember where. They did say it was very good for the fats while running ultras... I want to say it was from someone who ran Western States and hadn't experimented with them prior to the race and it nearly caused him to dnf. I can't remember the exact details though as it was a while ago that I saw it.
Yep i remember reading that race report too.... probably somewhere on irunfar.com... it mentioned not having used them in training at all!

@chelsea, My approach (not necessarily what would work best for you) would be to not eat anything at all during training runs... and do perhapse every other long run in a partially 'starved' state. Then during the actual race id be using gels, rather than whole foods.... although if i was to go with whole foods it would be something that gets absorbed quickly (high GI)

Thanks guys for the feedback!

@Willie: I'll be running Frankfurt for the third time. (It's easy, it's home.) I need something to make it interesting, though, so hopefully I can pull together a Wilma Flinstone costume before then. :) Pumuckel is planning to be there as well. What are you doing on October 28th? ;) All that food stuff sounds awesome! Especially the avacado/sweet potato mash. Maybe I'll try it wrapped in homemade bite-sized tortillas... :) I'm more partial to peanut butter than Nutella myself, and with all this beautiful weather we've been enjoying these las few days I've been fantasizing about some frozen peanut butter chocolate balls that someone here mentioned about a year ago... Gotta find that post!!! :p

@Kiwi: I do most of my runs in the morning already and never eat much more than a banana or granola bar, if anything at all, so who knows. If I only eat breakfast on Friday and then head out for a 20-25k on Sarurday morning, I'm thinking that'd do the trick. I guess we'll see... Btw, what are YOU doing on October 28th? :)

Ran my 14 miler yesterday sans food. Actually, I didn't feel like eating it, so I chose not to.

I survived. Interestingly, it was not noticeable during the run, but my time was about 4 min more than expected, pace-wise. I only checked my HR and distance during the run. I only checked my pace post-run.

FWIW...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7