top of the foot pain

garyliving

Barefooters
Dec 5, 2010
hey..nice to be here.
I have done just a bit of barefoot running (too cold and wet here for now in Italy) BUT i have been wearing minimal shoes (Terra plana Vivobarefoot) and practicing Chirunning now for about a month to 6 weeks. All is going quite well except for this top of the foot pain: once I get going there is no pain while running. but after, when things are cooled down, i have a bit of discomfort on the top of the feet, on the outside half of the foot. A few points on the feet are even tender to touch. There is no swelling, no pain in the ankles or arch or heels. My shoe laces are very loose..almost like running in sandals. so..is this just some adjustment my feet are making? I have been doing some feet and calves strengthening exercises. Any help or suggestions appreciated! Looking forward to spring!

More than likely, it's

More than likely, it's adjusting pains. Your feet are going through some serious changes. You need to back off a bit more and take more rest days.

Anyone have Ken Bob's TOFP link handy? If so, please post it here for Gary. Thanks!

Welcome, Gary!

Yep. TOFP is completley

Yep. TOFP is completley normal. I found myself limping around with it after doing too much too soon (a 5 miler when I really should have been sticking to 3 milers)... It is proof that your tendons are getting stronger, your feet changing shape, it's a really fun process to watch! Back off it gets too painful and make sure to ice those suckers!

Take your time and enjoy the process. Like any muscle, feet can get overworked, especially when they've spent so much time in regular shoes, also known as "foot casts". Hahahaha!

Perfect!  Thanks,

Perfect! Thanks, Gary!

Stomper, can we please add this to the Library? It's such an important resource referred to (sorry to say) way too often. ;-)