Top of foot tendon issue?

Discussion in 'Ask the Docs' started by ElyDave, Apr 2, 2012.

1. ElyDave

ElyDave Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

I've posted this elsewhere as well, but wouldn't mind a medical insight too.

About 3-4 weeks ago I did a tempo run, HR controlled to 160, 10km total distance inc warmup/cool down, so no further than usual. I think it was the next day I noticed increased pain in my left big toe at the joint with the foot. I say increased, beacause I have had similar pain before, in isolated episodes but this is by far the worst.

There is no pain on just sitting doing nothing, or on curling the toes downward, but there is on flexing the toes. The pain is then in line with the tendon running from big to to ankle area with a feeling I can only describe as "creaking". There is no swelling, and otherwise no localised tenderness, so I think stress fracture unlikely.

Yesterday on my 30km run in NB minimus trail 00, it was fine until about 18-20km, then started hurting, and today its as described, but with less pain.

It does seem to be getting less painful over time. Question is, is there specific cause likely, other than an acute sprain/strain, is it likely to be anything more than a tendon strain/sprain and is there anything I can do to speed up recovery. I've not taken any anti-inflammatorys preferring to let the bodies own mechanisms have their chance.

2. Paleo

Paleo Barefooters
    1. International
    2. Germany &...

I had a tendon issue this winter, specifically in the 3-4 Metatarsal area, top of the foot.

I am not sure about exactly where your problem is, but I learned that there are two sets of tendons that control (pull up on) the toes. Take a good look at some of the pictures with a google search for "foot anatomy".

I got my inflamed tendon under control with massage. I massaged the underside of my foot and moved around and up toward the calves. No special technique, just a mixture of pressure and rubbing around, mostly on the bottom of the foot and on the calves. Search specifically for "massage paroneus."

I also noticed at some point on a run that I was inducing tension into my smaller toes by holding them up artificially high in the landing part of the stride. Once I agreed with myself "to forget" about holding them up, I started noticing relief.

Best of luck to you.

Paleo

3. ElyDave

ElyDave Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

4. Dr. Nirenberg

Dr. Nirenberg Barefooters
    1. Illinois
    2. Indiana

It sounds like tendonitis. Try warm soaks in Epsom salts, and warm compresses. Though, I have seen stress fractures that can mimic what you describe but it is less likely.

5. ElyDave

ElyDave Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Thanks Doc,

I wasn't too worried about stress fracture with the symptoms, but your post is reassuring anyway. Since I originally posted I've been massaging both the affected area and the muscles in the frint of the shin that the tendons originate from and that seems to have helped, as have calf drops.

I may have some espom salts in my garden shed, so I might give that a try today as well.