To Some a Local 5K = Marathon so it Only Follows that Boston is the Next Presumption

Discussion in 'The Barefoot Pub' started by Longboard, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Longboard

Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

A young female runner stopped me today 8 miles from home.
    "Are you a dentist?"
    In my best Bud Light Dr. Galazkiewicz
    voice I proudly replied: "Yes I am!"

She then said "I know all about you....I was in AWE when I heard about you running the Boston Marathon barefoot! So COOL to meet you in person!"
    Never mind that the race she was recalling was just a local 5K fun run.....people tend to exaggerate sometimes.

For those unfamiliar with the twenty year old award winning ad I was referring to :

2. Tristan

Tristan Barefooters
    1. Ohio

Reminds me I was discussing running on another forum as a hobby, and some presumably young adult was talking about a 5k marathon (or might have been 10k, I forget exactly). When I called him out on it saying that a 5k is not a 'marathon' he admitted he didn't realize that a marathon meant a specific distance and just thought it meant a foot race.

Some people exaggerate. Some people just don't know or understand. Then there are those that do both together!

happysongbird likes this.
  3. Longboard

Longboard Chapter Presidents
    1. Michigan

Once a Mom was telling me about her son registering for a 5K. I asked if he had been running much and she said " Yes, you know, like around the neighborhood and stuff but this will be his first Marathon!"

happysongbird likes this.
  4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

A freakin' rock star in our midst!

Longboard likes this.