To Marathon or not to Marathon?

Speaking of vets, maybe we talk Barefooting Bob to come down for that one as well. I think I remember from somewhere that he has ran that one before in the past.
Very cool. Where is he situated?
The course starts in downtown Mpls, then goes by four or five lovely lakes just south of that, cuts east over to the Mississippi river near Minnehaha Falls, and then goes up Summit Avenue in St. Paul, which is a very wide boulevard lined with semi-mansions, and finishes at St. Paul's Cathedral, which has a great view over downtown St. Paul and the river flood plain below. As the native, I would buy the first round at a brew pub of your choosing.

I'll try to replicate Jen's buoyancy as best I can. Finding a reasonable facsimile of Mike will be difficult though.
BL, you have no idea about Jen... She talks non-stop rapid-fire like...She also is constantly hugging everyone...:confused: I'm soooooooo not a hugger either... Only my wife and kids. Mike would be very easy to find and replace. He really is not how he comes off sometimes on here. He is very easy going and fun to be around. Scary to ride with in the car.... but fun to be around. Daniel is very quiet but I like hanging out with him. Joshh I've only met once but he seems very easy going too. Me, well, I'm the fattie of the group.... :D

BL, you have no idea about Jen... She talks non-stop rapid-fire like...She also is constantly hugging everyone...:confused: I'm soooooooo not a hugger either... Only my wife and kids. Mike would be very easy to find and replace. He really is not how he comes off sometimes on here. He is very easy going and fun to be around. Scary to ride with in the car.... but fun to be around. Daniel is very quiet but I like hanging out with him. Joshh I've only met once but he seems very easy going too. Me, well, I'm the fattie of the group.... :D
Yah, Jen I think I have a good feel for, so to speak; I have a female friend like that who's very huggy. Suggesting Mike's uniqueness wasn't meant at all negatively. Just seems like he has a idiosyncratic, very matter-of-fact, perspective on things--my kind of people. I could take your role as the resident fattie I guess, at 215 and 6'1" or so, but I'm hoping to have said good-bye to another 15-20 lbs. by the time our unholy, international, glacial-plain alliance has formed next year. Mostly we're just jealous that you Oregon folks have such a good group.

Reactions: jldeleon
Yah, Jen I think I have a good feel for, so to speak; I have a female friend like that who's very huggy. Suggesting Mike's uniqueness wasn't meant at all negatively. Just seems like he has a idiosyncratic, very matter-of-fact, perspective on things--my kind of people. I could take your role as the resident fattie I guess, at 215 and 6'1" or so, but I'm hoping to have said good-bye to another 15-20 lbs. by the time our unholy, international, glacial-plain alliance has formed next year. Mostly we're just jealous that you Oregon folks have such a good group.
Wow, you're 6-7 inches taller than me and barely weigh more than me. I am down to 197 so...:D Glad everyone thinks we have such a great chapter here in OR. Oh, did I mention I went for my first huarache run in several weeks today?!!!! Woohoo! So far no ill effects. Fingers and toes are crossed, just cause I can do both. ;)

Nice Nick, glad the hear that the runs feel better shod or min. On a side note, I think sanctions need to be taken against the Oregon chapter for a couple of reasons. One your state has started to recruit out of state runners to live there and join in the insanity out there, and second, you people out there have way to much out that way. :D
Hahaha! Ya, I am a Montanan living here in Oregon, and now we have StJohn, a Michigander. We also have Jansen and Lomad who live in Washington but they travel to hang with us. Your second point, I'm not sure what you mean we have too much of. Rain? Craziness? Mild weather? Hippies? Beauty? Me and my chubbiness?

Wow, you're 6-7 inches taller than me and barely weigh more than me. I am down to 197 so...:D Glad everyone thinks we have such a great chapter here in OR. Oh, did I mention I went for my first huarache run in several weeks today?!!!! Woohoo! So far no ill effects. Fingers and toes are crossed, just cause I can do both. ;)
Well, it looks like you have a thicker build too, but yah, down from 240-245 a year ago this coming Monday, my birthday (Hiroshima Day--nice to be associated with a massive war crime). I was hoping to complete my (lose) 'fifty-at-fifty' program but didn't quite make it--dealing with the nagging injuries held me up. This coming year I'll try to get down to 190-95, but I'll take 200. I think that's about what I was before I began putting on weight in 2006 or 2007. Right now I'm losing about a pound a month, so I should get there by next year sometime. I like feeling less massive, more agile these days.

Great to hear the running is going well. I can't believe my foot hasn't acted up again now that I'm increasing the mileage again, so keep your fingers and toes crossed for me too. It's been frustrating keeping things to under an hour. I'll feel pretty good if I can consistently run 90-120 minutes on at least one run per week. Plus I like the feeling that one gets of having a little adventure on the longer runs. OK, time for some heat and hills now . . . then a nice Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA when I get back.

I forgot to mention Mike is a Californian if I remember correctly, and Joshh is from some island in the middle of the ocean (he's a pearl diver and expert I think), and Daniel is um.... Czech maybe? Can't remember.

Reactions: jldeleon
god help us all if you find someone like me.

dama, you got it. i'm a big wuss who doesn't want to get hurt and laughed at by getting past by a "jolly" woman. fit woman, they can pass me anytime. ;)

nick has seen me drunk so i guess he has seen about every side of me. the driving, he's just a wuss.

Hey BG, having gotten caught up in the marathon bug of this post myself, if you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing what your approach will be over the next eight weeks.

Yes Please :D
Updates are always welcome to educate us noobs