To eat or not to eat?

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, May 2, 2015.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi there,
    Just thought I'd find out how other people prefer to run when it comes to food.
    The reason I am curious is that I have been doing the 5:2 eating regime for a month or so now. That is where for 2 days a week you restrict your food intake to 600 calories and the rest of the week you eat whatever you like.
    I can vary what days I choose in case I have to go out for birthdays or other occasions but mostly I have been doing Tuesday and Saturday.
    Tuesday can be hard as it is a work day so I am up for more hours during the day while on Saturday I can sleep longer in the morning.
    I have been going for a run on the Saturday morning and in the past I would always find it very difficult running if I had not eaten for a long period. I would normally eat breakfast then wait around 1.5 hours before going for a run.
    I worried about collapsing if I had not eaten for 15 hours but now I have shaken that worry off. It all depends on how you run. If you run too hard then yes, you will feel weak and probably blow up. If instead to start off running slower than you would normally then let your body tell you how fast you can run, that seems to work. Burning fat rather than carbs is harder but it is a good thing to train your body to do. No carbo loading or anything like that.
    Today I ran 16km on an empty stomach. I felt hungry at first but that soon goes away once you start running. I did feel a bit light headed towards the end but was fine after I got back home and had a small bowl of oats.
    So, has anyone else out there tried running on very low calories?

Neil

2. murls

murls Barefooters
    1. Australia

Not yet but I will give it a go in the name of science and report back shortly. :)

3. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Thanks Murls.
    I have found it gets better with training. The body knows how to keep going without food for for a day or so.
    I did my Saturday morning run into a 40km/h north wind. I ran 13km today and felt fine. Even when I got back I didn't feel ravenously hungry, just had a small bowl of oats (50g) an that was it for most of the day. I'm on the 600 calories or less for 2 days a week.

Neil