TMTS - Plantar Faciitis

jouno53

Barefooters
Oct 13, 2011
Hello,

My name is Ryan and I would greatly appreciate your advice regarding my current predicament.

To give you some background – I have never been a runner, however, I have been doing Crossfit starting strength for about 4 months now, and after hearing about barefoot running, wanted to compliment my lifting with some natural running.

About 4 weeks ago I purchased a pair of Vibram Bikila LS shoes and some Merrel Barefoot Trail Gloves to wear on a daily basis. Being impatient and irresponsible, I jumped into running 30 minutes a day with my Vibrams, alternating days for about a week. My feet and calves were killing me, but I felt like I was going somewhere, and I loved it! However, 3 weeks ago (Sunday, September 25 to be exact), my right ankle started to get incredibly sore and inflamed. For about a week, I had a bad limp as I walked around on my sprained right ankle, and the bottom of my right foot also began to hurt. It has been 3 weeks now, like I said, and my ankle and Achilles tendon are in substantially better shape. However, I believe I have developed plantar faciitis on my right foot, as my arch towards the front of my foot, and occasionally near the heel will start to hurt. It has been about a week since I have definitely pinpointed my right foot pain as plantar faciitis, however, it is not incredibly terrible or incapacitating.

For the past week, every morning before I get up I stretch my right foot and massage it to prevent maximum damage from occurring when I get out of bed. Throughout the day, my right foot will have a dull pain, and I constantly stretch it.

I have had to forego any sort of squats or power lifts that use my feet, because I fear that I will continue to hurt my right foot. I have also ceased running for the time being.

What I am wondering is:

1. Since I became injured, I have still worn my Merrel barefoot shoes and Vibrams on a daily basis. I no longer wear sneakers when walking – I wear my minimalist shoes for walking. Am I doing myself more harm than good by doing this?

2. It has been 2 weeks since I have noticed my plantar pain. I will NOT get shots or take any symptom relieving medication. What can I do to benefit my healing?

3. Assuming it is okay for me to continue to wear minimalist shoes during the healing process, and knowing that I will not be running while I heal, should I expect to eventually fully heal? I plan to join Air Force ROTC next fall, and pray that my plantar faciitis will heal before then, as it is a disqualifying injury.

I greatly appreciate the time you have taken in helping me in this matter. I fully recognize that it was my impatience in building up the strength to begin barefoot running. All I desire is to heal properly and make the best decisions to enable me to have another chance to do this properly again.

Sincerely,

Ryan

I'm not sure about PF, but I

I'm not sure about PF, but I have learned not to stretch at all. For me, I had a calf injury and I would think I was better after a week and then would stretch and go for a run and bam, I was injured again. This went on for two months with me even stopping running for 2 1/2 weeks at one point and still the injury persisted. It wasn't until I stopped stretching that I healed and was able to start running again. For me stretching was only aggravating the problem and making it worse.

Not sure if it's the same with PF, but it would make sense that you could possibly be delaying the healing process. Now I believe massage is considered good, but I'm not sure if you are to wait till injury has no pain first or not. I think there is differing opinions on that. I know there is differing opinions on stretching, but for me I finally healed and feel much much much better now. Good luck and hopefully someone else should be able to give you more and better advice.

Ryan, please feel free to

Ryan, please feel free to copy this over to the Ask the Docs forum, so you can also get feedback from barefoot-friendly doctors there who are also runners.

PF sucks, but there is hope

PF sucks, but there is hope and it will likely take some time.

http://tao-fit.com/self-treatment-for-plantar-fasciitis

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/plantar-fasciitis/

Don't stretch, get a foam roller and a golf ball, Jesse (Tao Fit) and the Sock Doc. will explain what to do.

As to your minimalist shoes, when I came down with PF, I didn't go back to shoes. Think about spreading your toes and walking mindfully with your feet when you walk anywhere.

This is more about the trigger points in your hips, thighs and calves than your feet. It also has much to do with becoming balanced, in many ways, not just physical.

Everyone - thank you for the

Everyone - thank you for the advice. I will follow the advice posted on the websites provided by SaraLord. Thankfully, my pain has improved and I will work to strengthen my feet/leg muscles so that I can someday soon start barefoot running. I'll stick around these forums, so nice meeting you all!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts