Tightened up

Okay, this is going to be a complete noob question, but since I haven't had this happen before I'll ask it at the risk of embarrassment.

I decided to go for my usual Friday morning exercise with my friend, but he ran late and I went on ahead figuring I'd get a quick one mile in while waiting. I thought I was warmed up enough, but a third of the way through the mile loop my left calf started to tighten up to where I could feel it while I ran. I tried to walk it loose, but as soon as I started back jogging it tightened up again almost immediately. I halted and decided to convince my friend we should just do frisbee golf.

What the heck happened? Did I not warm up enough? Could I have just kept going through? or is it more complicated?

John T.

Are you lacking electrolytes

Are you lacking electrolytes or salt in your diet? Were you hydrated enough?

That's the thing about that

That's the thing about that stuff.. you just never know, right? Guess I will make sure to focus on that today and maybe do something tomorrow. The 107 degrees we've had the last two days may well have sapped me more than normal. Ah, Summer!

John T.

Sounds like forcing the form

Sounds like forcing the form rather than relaxing. I use to do that on the treadmill. It was worse when I was reaching out in front of me rather than sitting down in my stance. Also make sure your heal it touching down and your ankles are "floppy" and relaxed. Let us know what you figure out.

-Jonny

Thanks TJ and Jonny!That

Thanks TJ and Jonny!

That relaxing part was what made me figure I could walk it loose and maybe start in again not tensing up. Thought I was maybe causing it, but I did have a headache yesterday, but it was a crazy tension filled day, so it was a mixed bag of potential causes. Had it been a normal day, I would have immediately suspected less than adequate hydration or electrolytes being low; but truck safe broke down, boss yelled at me for something dumb, and then traffic jam all within an hour will cause headaches too. Least I have a couple of things to keep an eye on.

John T.

On the plus side, and this

On the plus side, and this really took the edge off the disappointment. Yesterday I was noticing that even in my Vibrams walking on larger stones felt just like walking across level ground, and those grates with the round pegs-like protrusions didn't feel like anything whereas I remember they were very uncomfortable first time I walked across them. Today when I ran on that gravelly path that blistered my right heel, and kicked my butt last Monday, it felt like normal asphalt does, i.e. like any other running surface. :-D

John T.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raramuri7