Reviewed By: fredvp71

picture-453.jpg

Date Reviewed: 04/02/2011
Review Type: Race
Barefoot Friendliness: 2 Above Average

Tremont St.
Massillon , OH
See map: Google Maps

Race Time was 9:00 AM, 4/2/11. The morning weather was cold, wet, and sleeting. It had snowed the night before, and there was still a good amount of white stuff on the ground. The thermometer read 36 degrees when I left my house around 8:15 a.m. One big annoyance in barefoot running is waiting for the race to start - I could feel my feet slowly numbing, while we stood around waiting. Parking was too far away to sit in a car, plus I don't have a car, so that was out. Soon enough the whistle sounded, and off we went!

Road Summary: Mile 1 - Uphill on fairly rough road. Mile 2 - Even steeper uphill on fairly rough road. Mile 3 - Flat to downhill with very rough road, followed by heavenly smooth bricks.
And that's it! I finished in 24:50, which put me 23rd out of 55 men. I had to go to work, so I took off early, and of course, I had somehow wound up 1st in my age group (?) (35-39), and never got my medal.

So, I'm super - excited to have a 5K in the bag already this year. No post-race injuries, no blisters, no frostbite. My feet are a little "zingy", as my form is probably not up to snuff quite yet. Also, I'm still wearing shoes quite a bit (a problem soon remedied when/if Spring arrives). This was actually my longest run yet this year, so there's nowhere to go but up.

If they post any race photos, I'll load them later. This was my slowest 5K ever, but honestly, I had a great time due to the positives it represents. I didn't build up to a 5K last year until July or something. Now I feel like I'll be hitting 10K's in May or June, and even a 1/2 marathon in the fall. The speed will take care of itself when it's ready. Thanks for reading!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts