Thinking about giving up on BFR. Maybe I should take up ping pong?

Why do I get the feeling that most injury posts in this forum will be from me? Not that I have a history of injury or anything ( - said all sarcastically - )...

I've been working out some knee issues lately and it seems that once I was able to run without THAT pain, I got this:

Swollen-Heel.jpg

Sheesh. Can't a girl get a break? I'm thinking this is something along the lines of Achilles Tendinitis? It seems to be pretty mild. I can walk with only a slight limp and it doesn't hurt much. It started out as a slight tightening in my heel, but now its swollen. At this point I just need to vent. Crap.

When it rains it pours Zap. 

When it rains it pours Zap. One injury aggravates another. I remember when I got ITBS, I also gave myself an awesome calf strain because of the way my tight IT band pulled my leg around.

But achilles tendonitis is somewhat common for new barefooters, especially those who get tight calves afterwards. Not that this should make you feel better or anything. But I am saying that I don't think that all these injuries should lead you to give up something you like doing. Although ping poing is a really cool sport.

I don't think barefooting specifically is the culprit. I suspect these are both overuse injuries (I feel like I've nagged you about this on dailymile before?)

THEREFORE...I do think that with all these injuries maybe a period of rest is in order. I'm talking a week minimum.

Like the many injured before us that are all over this site, you will heal. I remember last summer when I got hurt, and I felt like the only person on the injury board as well.

I think you should probably

I think you should probably take off from running for two weeks minimum. Let your body fully recover before getting back into it. Two weeks isn't all that much, so if you think you need more, then take it. Besides, if you give up running and pick up ping pong, you'll probably just get ping pong injuries.

That's some serious swelling there, Zap. You should take some serious anti-inflammatories. After I had those problems with my tendons in my wrists, arms, and feet, my doctor prescribed some really powerful anti-inflammatories called Voltaren. It also comes in a topical gel that you can rub onto the skin for instant relief, since the pills take a couple of days to take effect. I also took an all-natural anti-inflammatory at the same time called Inflamarest, you can get from your local Herb Shop. This combination really helped me get through the worst of it. Please consider seeing your doctor for a prescription and get to your local Herb Shop.

Have you been injury prone

Have you been injury prone throughout your life ? I'd probably suggest just taking a break from BF running for a while. Let time remove the injury clutter from your mind. You maybe manifesting these issues from some subtle mental memories. Maybe consider BF running seminar down the road. BF running should not be a problem, but you may have some issues with form. Sometimes taking a break, and focusing on other activities is helpful. I also remember you mentioning something about need to build leg strenght. I would highly reccommend this. If your muscular chain above your foundation(feet) is not solid. That will have a negative impact on your feet, and other areas of your body. Maybe you should join a gym, and focus on weight training instead for a while. Have a personal trainer set you up with basics. Make sure your muscular strenght is balanced, and equal to each side of your body. Come back to BF running at a later time. I would suggest this as a great option ! Not sure how far sacramento is from you. I can suggest a awesome gym that is independent, and not main stream, very fun. They have weekend workshops to maybe give you some introductions...... It's an awesome group of people. Another little community like ours. Chip the owner has a world wide viewer ship. The members at the gym are very friendly. They are also barefoot friendly in the gym. Just something to consider....

http://physicalsubculture.com/

Such as...?

Such as...?

Do tell.

Do tell.

Don't give up.  I had a knot

Don't give up. I had a knot monster too... and even the sore heal (my right). Your (minor?) injuries seem to be piling up a bit. This happened to me too. Stick with it. The transision from 30+ years of shoe wearing to barefoot running will take years. I am at the one year mark and am still noticing changes.

Now, I can consistantly run without pain & discomfort barefoot, but I do NOT consider myself fully transisioned.

Take the 2 weeks off and see if that knot monster and the others heal up. Breaks are hard for us running addicts, I know. I truely believe that some injuries can heal as you continue to run... BUT... ONLY after you let it heal enough of the way back to normal that it will continue to heal after you start running again.

I have a minor injury(?) right now. A painless swollen toe on my left foot that, as I continue to run, repeatedly gets swollen. It doesn't hurt, but the swelling makes walking after my run feel strange. I am going to give it two or three days and see. Your body will figure it all out with time. Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Don't give up, this forum exists to encourage you to run on. Have a beer too.

There... you feel better now, right? :D

I didn't realize that pot was

I didn't realize that pot was an anti-inflammatory.

Ya, and with a vaporizor she

Ya, and with a vaporizor she can save her lungs too! TJ, Think Prop 19 :)

Zap- seriously use that KT tape while you're healing. I had something similar early in my transition and think the tightness of the VFFs on the heels had something to do with it, also just the fact that the calves were so dang tight (still are sometimes after a long slog.) My ankles looked like oranges some days and I was terrified of snapping my achilles. Are you running any hills? If so, might want to consider flat land walking/running for awhile. Also, if you have a chiropractor they can do ultrasound to help with healing. It was amazing on mine.

Compression sleeves help the calves, but I will swear by the tape to help the achilles/peroneal tendons. All related. I don't run now without it, but then I still wear high heels on occasion and beat my ankles up on nasty winter trail runs.

But did it pass?

But did it pass?

Right, brownies- I always

Right, brownies- I always forget them because I don't eat sugar. Pesto is good. Not that I would know...I heard they make great pizzas in Colorado. You would think it would be legal here right along with the gambling and ranches.

Zap, I just remembered that because I can't sit still very long, I would rig an ice pack on my heel with an Ace bandage so that I could get regular intervals of quality icing without having to be inert.

Abide wrote:They have vending

Abide said:
They have vending machines that dispense in California now. And they are not cigarettes :)
Are you sh*tting me, Abide? Seriously? I haven't seen those, but unless they come in a baked form I'm not touching them. I hate smoking it. I would love to find out where they are though just so I can take a peek. Hahahaha!

Humboldt-explorer wrote:Have

Humboldt-explorer said:
Have you been injury prone throughout your life ?... Maybe you should join a gym, and focus on weight training instead for a while. Have a personal trainer set you up with basics.... I can suggest a awesome gym that is independent, and not main stream, very fun. They have weekend workshops to maybe give you some introductions...... It's an awesome group of people. Another little community like ours. Chip the owner has a world wide viewer ship. The members at the gym are very friendly. They are also barefoot friendly in the gym. Just something to consider.... http://physicalsubculture.com
Thanks so much Humboldt!! I totally know about this gym. I think your advice is really solid and along the lines of what I was thinking. I wouldn't say I'm injury-prone so much as just have had issues with being able to run most of my adult life. I attribute it to my earliest running experiences starting track at age 11 and running for the girls HS X-country team before I was even in high school. I was a great runner back then. Now. Not so much.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test