Thin-soled wide toe-box moccasins for when you are not barefoot

David Morrell

Barefooters
Nov 5, 2017
Hello,

In case anyone is interested, I make lace up moccasins that have a very thin sole and a very wide toe-box for wearing in situations where you would prefer to have something on your feet and don't want to scrunch your toes nor walk un-ergonomically.

Locally in the Bay Area, California, I measure people's feet and make a pair that fits them exactly. However, I also have one pair listed on eBay right now for your viewing pleasure:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142574847096?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Cosmetically, they are ok. Comfort-wise they are excellent. I place the priority absolutely on comfort and sacrifice cosmetics a little. The way that these hug your foot while allowing full motion, make these quite pleasant to wear.

While I used to make these with a thicker 8 oz leather sole, I found that the thicker sole being stiffer and thicker compromised ergonomics, so I started making pairs with a thinner sole, so you will definitely feel the ground when walking. These soles can easily be replaced because the uppers are attached to the sole along a single stitch line.

Feel free to take a look and contact me if you have any questions.

David

Attachments

• Front view no flash.jpg
    Front view no flash.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 13
Those look nice. Is the stitching exposed on the bottom? I make my own mocs and the stitching is always a wear point. If it is exposed, you can get a soling material that's only 1mm thick and glue it on with Barge cement. I think it's called Vibram Pro Tania Tequil. It greatly extends the life and also prevents soaking water up from below on wet ground.

Hello Gordon,

Thank you for the information regarding the Vibram soling material.

Yes, the stitching is exposed on the bottom. However, I use size 554 polyester thread and it typically does wear through until about 12 to 15 months of heavy use (none of my customers have had the thread wear yet, however they are casual wearers). What I noticed in some of the true moccasins of other makers, I have seen out there is that the heel wears first because the heel is not positioned off of the back stitching enough. For the thin soled ones the stitching outlasts the sole and I find it easier to just replace the sole. I also make moccasins using an 8 oz leather sole, and for those I embed the stitching. However the thicker sole restricts the natural motion of the foot too much for me, though they are nonetheless much better than shoes. This pair is definitely a dry weather pair and even if the Vibram sole were added the water would soak in from the sides.

While the following thoughts my seem extreme, I also do realize the need to be practical. However, for now, one of the issues I have with the Vibram soles is that they are not eco-friendly. On the horizon there is progress being made to develop biodegradable rubber products that use chemicals derived from sugar plants instead of sulfur for the vulcanization process. Except for the threads which are polyester, these shoes are biodegradable. Nonetheless, the use of polyester in the shoes is a compromise that I would prefer to find an alternative for as when one considers that there are 7.6 billion people on the planet, the choices that everyone makes has to be scalable for the other 7.6 billion people to do the same thing. On the other hand a 1.0 mm thick sole addition is probably of the order of a fiftieth the detrimental materials in a regular sneaker (I am tempted to put them on a winter pair).

I think for now the best choice is to replace the thin soles as they wear out as it is simple to do. I have made waterproof shoes before with thicker leather soles for use when it freezing outside (see attached photo).

Please keep in touch and send more suggestions as you encounter them.

Best wishes,

Front View.jpg

Hello,

For the pair that I have listed for sale, I used a 6 oz elk leather sole. This sole can easily be replaced with something heavier. However, I find much better ergonomics using a thinner sole:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142630817399?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Front view flash on.jpg

For the pair that was made to be waterproof for winter and snow (not for sale) I ended up using one layer of 8 oz cow hide two layers of 1 - 2 oz leather, plus a layer of 8 oz elk (see photo a couple of posts ago - the thick pair with camel hair on the inside). It is very rigid relative to my thinner dry weather moccasins but better than anything commercially out there and at least it lets my toes expand. That winter pair I made years ago when I was a novice. They were truly waterproof and very warm. I saturated the outside leather layer (both sides) in a combination of bees wax and oil.

I am currently experimenting to determine just how little leather I can use while ensuring it is waterproof (i.e. can walk in an 18" deep stream and not get your feet wet like the previous pair I made).

If you live near the Bay Area California and are interested in having me make a pair for you feel free to stop by and I can measure your feet, etc.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test