The Zen of barefoot running

I'd like to introduce one of our newest members who is on a journey to run barefoot around the world... Everyone, please welcome Julia Chi Taylor!

Julia Chi_UK Downs.jpg

The Zen of barefoot running
By Julia Chi

I am a barefoot running nomad, journeying around the globe, the planet my home… I love to run.

I have been running all of my life, following the running road wherever it has led me… From the early days as a young teenager when I raced around a grass track in my bare feet, to running at top level, my first international race a 5k X country competition in Spain, to posting a marathon best time of 2.36.31 in the 1986 London marathon.

I have traveled the world all of my life, loving running wherever I am, in races, or just exploring the towns and countryside and beaches I pass through as I journey.

Both my running and working in the lives of others as their mentor, coach, and guide seemed to choose me. I understood early on that everything comes from within. That our outer experiences are simply an expression of our inner world and energetic make up. And so I see that the inner journey is the only one to trust in.

In recent years, this journey lead me to shed all my possessions and take off around the globe with my husband Anadi, the planet our home, writing and running wherever I am. And now I have shed my shoes again…

I write as I journey and share with you the expression of my inner world from the perspective of my next running step. Practicing Zen running, which is the art of being truly in the step and trusting that the next one will take care of itself. Experiencing the here and now within the stretch for excellence; and learning again and again that all of my running art comes with ease and the absence of tension and trusting the moment.

Knowing that there is nothing else, but the moment we are in, the step we are in, and that this life is often understood backwards.

There is nowhere to go to and nowhere to have come from. And so with this Zen puzzle, I run still onwards, and inwards, trusting that everything comes from the silence within.

Run with me as I keep investigating the inner path….

Julia Chi_1.jpg
Julia Chi_Beach Running.jpg

Julia Chi_Famara Beach.png

Thank you so much TJ for your very warm welcome and for introducing me; it is a pleasure to be here ! :)

Welcome Julia. It's good to have you here.
-Very much looking forward to following your progress.:barefoot:
Thank you so much :) It's great to be here... !

Welcome Julia. Great to see you here.

2:36 marathon? Gulp! That's faster than my half marathon time!
We all travel our own world at our own pace.
Have FUN!

Welcome Julia. Great to see you here.

2:36 marathon? Gulp! That's faster than my half marathon time!
Hi there :) That run was 31 years ago now :) And as Ken Bob says, we all travel at our own pace; and as long as we stay in the step we are in, the next takes care of itself... As a younger runner I took awhile to learn this! But, I was always aware that my running speed was just 'in' me; sure I trained and loved my running... But back then I trained with 3 young guys, we were all about 25 years old and we all worked hard and trained the same; but they were rarely able to beat me, and they were guys... It was just what was in my body and my make up... In the same way I love to sing... But can't hold a tune unless I sing with someone else!!! :) but it doesn't stop me enjoying singing, I just won't ever be on the same stage I have been on with my running :) I have written a 'first instalment' in my return to barefoot running in the blog section :) thank you for writing to me and welcoming me so warmly :)

We all travel our own world at our own pace.
Have FUN!
We do all travel our own world as our own pace, this is so true, and having fun is the most important thing! It was what my Mum always said to me when I was getting too worried about doing well - when I was a teenager... "Darling have fun...' !

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts