The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook (book review)

C. Beth Run.

Barefooters
Jul 6, 2010
I just got this book, and I LOVE it:

Trigger points are (and this is very much an unscientific layman's explanation!) these little tight spots in your muscles that tend to cause referred pain. Sometimes it hurts where the trigger point is, but often it hurts somewhere else. Muscles and tendons and bones are all connected so sometimes the area that is hurting isn't actually the area that needs to be worked on. Trigger points can be gotten rid of over time with targeted massage, and this book helps you FIND the trigger points and shows HOW to do self-massage on them.

I've written a lot here about how much I love my foam roller. But this book is helping me make better use of the roller, and showing me other ways to find and work on trigger points.

Example 1: my IT band seems to be my biggest recurring problem area. I get various trigger points in my upper legs and/or hips, and that makes my IT band tighten and gives me that distinct pain on the outside of my knee.

I was working on some areas I'd found (upper thighs/hips) with my roller but was having trouble really getting past the issue this time. This book suggests using a ball (I use a tennis or golf ball) to massage the side of the hips/glutes against a wall. I followed their advice to put the ball in a sock so I could hold the end of the sock, and so if I dropped the ball it didn't roll away. Using this technique, I immediately was able to target those sore spots SO much better than with my foam roller. My IT band seems to be doing really well now. (I also used some KT Tape on it for my last long run, which may have also helped.)

Example 2: After a 5-mile run last week the back of my left knee was sore. I really didn't know how to get rid of it. This book helped me find some deep trigger points behind my knee and at the very top of the back of my calf, points that weren't being targeted with my foam roller. I was able to work specifically on those points, and my knee pain didn't last long. I was able to do my 9 miler on Saturday without having any major issues in that area.

I still love my foam roller and am using it to work on various trigger points and just general sore spots. But this book is helping me be more targeted in working out my pain. Because I'm training for a race, I'm pushing my body more than it's comfortable with right now. I've cut down my mileage a bit, but I still get sore as my body adjusts to these longer runs. I'm a DIY type when it comes to running pains, so I love that this book helps me keep going instead of my aches and pains getting the better of me!

Anyone else have experience with trigger point therapy? I know that twinkletoes mentioned it and is a big fan too.

Thanks CBeth for the

Thanks CBeth for the reference (I love books as much as running) and great idea about the sock! I always lose the baseball to gravity and the golf ball especially is a slippery little guy.

Working trigger points in my heel now with that golf ball at my desk...have a peroneal injury but the referral pain is on the other side of my foot on bottom. Weird but cool. Does it mention referral pain and how to chase those points?

twinkletoes wrote:Does it

twinkletoes said:
Does it mention referral pain and how to chase those points?

Yes, it definitely talks a lot about referred pain. To help you find the points, it gives a bunch of possible ones for each place you're having pain. So you can look up, say, "side of neck pain" and it gives usually about 5-7 trigger points to try for that pain.

I use the golf ball (or other balls) on the bottom of my foot a lot too!

twinkletoes wrote:I can't

twinkletoes said:
I can't wait to get that book!

It's great--I think it'll go so well with what you're already doing. (From what you'd written in the other thread, I wondered if you already had the book!)

I will need that book later,

I will need that book later, that's for sure.

TJ, wondering if working some

TJ, wondering if working some of the trigger points in your lower legs will help you now? Because it's been so painful for you, I bet your legs and hips are tight from walking with difficulty and tensing with pain. Just guessing because I know if one area is affected in my body, another reacts.

CBeth My PT friend who specializes in myofacial release is the one who taught me about these points and how getting them to release increases blood flow to the affected area. When it happens it's a bizarre rush of either hot or cold in the muscle and I'm hooked on it. I've always been fascinated by reflexology too.

I agree, TJ, this would be

I agree, TJ, this would be great for you. I found myself thinking about you when I was reading the book! And I concur with Twinkletoes, it would be worth it to get it now. You can work on the non-foot areas that might be affecting your feet.

I was thinking the same thing

I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread, but I think I will wait until I am sure the antibiotics are out of my system, only because it seems that the treatments I have done to help the PF have only made it worse. I wonder if this book is at the book stores. I will have to check. I could send my hubby to get it. ;-) He's good at picking things up for me when I am unable. Hee.