The Running Form Thread

Melanie Hastings: So what is the difference between Pose running and Chi running? Is it the latter's greater emphasis on engaging the core?

Melanie Hastings: Oh, and I almost forgot, does Damian have any more videos he can post, especially ones demonstrating what is meant by engaging the core? That would help visual it.

Melanie Hastings: So what is the difference between Pose running and Chi running? Is it the latter's greater emphasis on engaging the core?

Melanie Hastings: Oh, and I almost forgot, does Damian have any more videos he can post, especially ones demonstrating what is meant by engaging the core? That would help visual it.

I don't know what this means, who's Melanie Hastings...

Got it, I don't like listening or watching things, but may make an exception.
Me neither. I like texts I can skim for what I want. The exception being instruction videos for new exercises or techniques.

The video isn't really worth watching for new info--he's just giving a basic outline, and it sounds exactly like Pose to me, except for the core part. The guy seems really nice though. I was expecting a pretentious guru-type.

I like that biomechanics site by the way.

There are quite a few differences in CR and Pose. In CR, we teach quite a bit about moving from the core and spinal/hip rotation where I don't believe Pose does as much. With CR, it isn't just about technique. We share a lot about the joyful, meditative and peaceful benefits of running. We teach that running can be a moving meditation. It doesn't have to be a workout, an exercise or way to lose weight. Like in Tai Chi, we can cooperate with forces such as gravity and the impact of the ground which results in a more efficient, lower impactful way of running.

I have been super busy. I'm working on the videos including a core engagement one and one of me running. Thanks for the patience.

Me neither. I like texts I can skim for what I want.
The video isn't really worth watching for new info--he's just giving a basic outline, and it sounds exactly like Pose to me, except for the core part. The guy seems really nice though. I was expecting a pretentious guru-type.
I like that biomechanics site by the way.

Cool glad you are liking it. There is so much nonsense out there it's hard to find good stuff.

There are quite a few differences in CR and Pose. In CR, we teach quite a bit about moving from the core and spinal/hip rotation where I don't believe Pose does as much. With CR, it isn't just about technique. We share a lot about the joyful, meditative and peaceful benefits of running. We teach that running can be a moving meditation. It doesn't have to be a workout, an exercise or way to lose weight. Like in Tai Chi, we can cooperate with forces such as gravity and the impact of the ground which results in a more efficient, lower impactful way of running.

I have been super busy. I'm working on the videos including a core engagement one and one of me running. Thanks for the patience.
Thanks Damian. No rush. Looking forward to the vids. I studied karate in Japan for three years, so I'm interested in seeing how chi ('ki' in Japanese) has been applied to running. And I do like to take a zen-like approach to things, although I'm not very good at it. Some of the theory of your model, of course, we'll have to continue to disagree on, but who cares, right?

The original purpose of this thread wasn't to discuss methods that work; it was to discuss what's actually happening with gait. This is an important distinction, and I like Lee's "folk" versus "science" explanations.

I respect that Chi more or less leaves science out of the equation, and that's apparent in Damian's explanations. Pose, on the other hand, regularly attempts to use scientific principles to explain the techniques... poorly. It seriously discredits the technique.

Yes, gait: After a bad run I always wonder: what is the reason that my gait has changed (at least it feels terribly different), what is the reason that I can't just push an imaginary button "ideal gait" and enjoy a good run every time I want to run?
I suppose this opens the question: is there a link between "ideal gait" and "happy running"? If so, is there necessarily also a link between "not so ideal gait" and "bad run"? Or are there also runners out there who experience bad runs with ideal gait?

Yes, gait: After a bad run I always wonder: what is the reason that my gait has changed (at least it feels terribly different), what is the reason that I can't just push an imaginary button "ideal gait" and enjoy a good run every time I want to run?
I suppose this opens the question: is there a link between "ideal gait" and "happy running"? If so, is there necessarily also a link between "not so ideal gait" and "bad run"? Or are there also runners out there who experience bad runs with ideal gait?
Interesting question. But I guess I'd have to say I've never had a bad run. Sure, I have runs where I don't have as much as energy, but I also have strength-training sessions like that, and it generally has to do with whether or not I slept enough or well the night before. Nonetheless, I always feel better after running or lifting, no matter what state I started in. Could you explain a bit more what you mean by a bad run?

As for gait, on my last run, on Wednesday, I made sure my left foot landed as silently as my right, just in case its occasional tendency to get away from a pure forefoot landing and drift towards a 'midfoot' or flat foot landing had something to do with my recent knee-tweak. I have to say, I really didn't like thinking about form the whole way. It took away from the meditative quality of the run.

Interesting question. But I guess I'd have to say I've never had a bad run. Sure, I have runs where I don't have as much as energy, but I also have strength-training sessions like that, and it generally has to do with whether or not I slept enough or well the night before. Nonetheless, I always feel better after running or lifting, no matter what state I started in. Could you explain a bit more what you mean by a bad run?

Well, bad runs happen when nothing of your usual gait pattern will klick into place and every movement is incredibly hard, slow and tiring; with every step you think: "I should have stayed home" and you have even the impression that you are heavier than usual (even though it doesn't show on the balance).
Not surprisingly, these are also the runs when sudden pains ore accidents might occur.
Afterwards of course I also feel better ("finally it's over") but this can't be compared to the pure joy and happiness of running on a good run, when there is this sweet sensation of flying along with feet barely touching the ground.

Reactions: dutchie53

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test