the pyramid is gone, welcome the plate:

khyricat

Barefooters
Jan 14, 2011
(TJ- wasn't sure where to put this)

Yesterday the USDA, HHS and the First Lady announced the end of the Food Pyramid and introduced it's replacement- MyPlate (www.choosemyplate.gov). I participated in watching the media blitz and in an online discussion forum among RD's that lasted most of the day, and last night some friends and I realized that we weren't getting the publics interpretations, reactions, etc... just the professionals. So- I will post the image here and ask- What do YOU think? I posted this on a few other forums already (non running/non barefoot), but I'd like to get your opinions as well.

As a dietitian I use a different plate and have drawn it for years for clients and so do most other dietitians. This is a bit different:

And for those interested- I blogged yesterday on the history leading up to both these symbols:
http://bit.ly/kYBvyG

I just started paleo and

I just started paleo and warrior diet, had great results so far. So the pyramid and this is pretty irrevelent to me :p

i never ate off a pyramid.

i never ate off a pyramid. mostly off a plate. sometimes a napkin, my hand, tortilla, stick, whatever. just never off a pyramid.

I actually like the plate

I actually like the plate image better than the pyramid. Although my plate is half meat and half veggies, with no dairy. And since I only eat one meal a day, they need to get a bigger plate!

saypay45 wrote:I actually

saypay45 said:
I actually like the plate image better than the pyramid. Although my plate is half meat and half veggies, with no dairy. And since I only eat one meal a day, they need to get a bigger plate!

I know how you feel...

The pyramid's a scam!  Don't

The pyramid's a scam! Don't do it!

Oh wait, wrong kind of pyramind. Sorry.

I like the plate layout much

I like the plate layout much better than the pyramid. Makes more sense visually.

It looks less clear to me

It looks less clear to me than the new pyramid which was debuted not too long ago. Honestly, I liked the pyramid better and part of why was the guy climbing the side to show being active and how that relates to food. The plate seems too simplistic for me. And the fractions on the plate aren't as clear because they don't meet at the center of the circle (that's a teacher complaint). It kind of feels like a) they are trying too hard or b) someone is trying to keep their job relevant by making changes to something no one aside from heath teachers use.

There's always going to be people who complain about things like this, but the government's health department needs to try to make people aware of what to eat and how much to eat. Sugars and fats are completely gone, I see. Obviously, since we're panicked about how fat America is and its better to pretend those things don't exist at all.

There needs to be more focus on a calories in/calories out view of health. That's how you get people heathly in the long term. Changing diet is never enough.

The focus on calories and

The focus on calories and percentage is a good point.

Ha!

Ha!

I have to say that I like the

I have to say that I like the new plate much better than the pyramid, but it's still lacking big time. I really like the spin Chef Ann Cooper puts on the pyramid. http://www.chefann.com/html/tools-links/meal-wheel/ChefAnn_MealWheel.pdf It's very visual, which I think is good for kids... and some adults for that matter. By far the best one in my opinion.

I got on a pretty hard core kick of eating healthy after reading a couple of Michael Pollans books, which I highly recommend. One is the Omnivores Dilemma, and the other is In Defense of Food. This guy really knows what he is talking about, and he will make you think twice about what your putting into your mouth. I watched many presentations of him on TED.com (I love, love, love this website!), and on YouTube. He is a very intelligent guy! I actually contemplated starting my own farm after reading The Omnivores Dilemma, and I know nothing about farming!! :D

Shacky wrote:It is better

Shacky said:
It is better than what was out there before but I prefer the plate on this site: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-rTj3ZgtUIWE/TegFX8RRQAI/AAAAAAAAANE/z8nBOl3Gnu8/s1600/notthathardpeople.jpg
Yup. That would be my plate too, but in place of water would be wine or beer - hee hee.

But in all seriousness I agree with DB that the calories are important. I think the average american will look at the plate and see donuts (grains) mcdonalds (protein) veggies (potato chips) fruit (packaged fruit snacks). We are just a totally effed up nation in terms of nutrition. I'm just sayin'...

I know the plate is supposed

I know the plate is supposed to be more in line with newer schools of thought while being artistic, but I definitely think they have officially jumped the shark on this one. Seriously, do we march in the streets demanding the government to come out with a new-fangled way to tell us how to eat/live our lives? Once they realized they weren't going to win the populace over with the pyramid they should have just quit the business. Now not only will people be saying "I told you so", but now they get to tell them how they screwed this one up, too. It's a no win proposition. How long before "food plate 2.0" comes out?

John T.

I heard about the plate on

I heard about the plate on the radio, but that was my first look at it. First word that comes to mind is "lame". The proportions aren't clear like on the pyramid - not that I ever really cared about the pyramid. I go with "eat a balanced diet" and not too much junk. (ok, I eat too much junk, but that's not the point).

The thing that really pissed me off about the plate was that they spent 2 YEARS developing it!!!!! How big was the staff on that project and how much MORE wasted tax payer dollars went into that "lame" picture of a plate. I think a 5th grade student could have drawn a better pie chart than that picture. The government said the pyramid was too confusing. Ummm, well if people can't figure out what "meats and beans" from the pyramid how the heck are they gonna know what a "protein" is on the plate.

Personally, I think that most people don't care what is on the "pyramid" or the "plate" as evidenced by the growing obesity epidemic in this country.

Ok, sorry. Stepping off my soap-box now.

Food Plate 2.0!Ha! if

Food Plate 2.0!

Ha!

if people can't figure out what "meats and beans" from the pyramid how the heck are they gonna know what a "protein" is on the plate.

Good point, Terry.

Terry steps off soap box; TJ steps up onto soap box.

Now here's something to tick you off. My soon to be nine year old son attends public school. It's rated one of the very best schools in Georgia and one of the main reasons why we moved to this area. They have a breakfast and lunch program, of course, as all public schools do. At the end of each month, they send home the planned meals calendar for the next month. They load up all the extra spaces that have not been filled on the page (and both sides too) with info and images about healthy eating, healthy portions, healthy foods, etc., and they always include the Pyramid. YET, their so-called healthy meals consist of chili dogs and french fries, hamburgers, burritos, crap, crap, crap! I have always packed my kid's lunches, and I will always continue to do so.

They even sell the children ice cream at one of their daily breaks in each classroom each and every day to raise money for the school! At first, we thought this was just a once per week thing taking place, and so we gave our son $1 each Friday, so he wouldn't feel left out, and what kid doesn't like ice cream? Then when we found out that ice cream is actually delivered to each class every day, we immediately stopped taking part in that little program!

I guess they ease their minds by holding their once per year Booster Thon where they have the kids "raise" money and run laps around a track one afternoon.

No wonder our nation's kids are so fat. Of course it's primarily the parent's responsibility, but our schools are doing more harm than good!

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test