The heat!

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I don't know how many people around the world have been paying attention to the hot weather we have been having recently but here in Adelaide we went through a heatwave of +45C temperatures for 4 days in a row culminating with a 47C day on the Friday along with high winds.
    It really was horrible, like standing in front of a blast furnace. That was added to by the poor air quality caused by the numerous fires that are burning out of control. 72 properties burnt to the ground in the hills around Adelaide. This same scenario has been happening all around the country, Sydney, Canberra, hidden by smoke as the bone dry country catches fire (but don't talk about climate change, its not the right time the politicians whine).
    A cool change came in on Saturday morning and I was able to get out for a run from my start point of Seacliff along the beach to Glenelg then back along the road (12km). I did the same run today in somewhat smokier conditions early in the morning before the temperature makes the road too hot to run on.
    I'm hoping to get some quality running done over the Christmas break to get my endurance up.

Regards

Neil

Tedlet and Larry like this.
  2. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

4 days straight is tough. We got about a day and a half in the mid 40s down on the coast in Victoria, and there was no way I was going to try to run in that. In November I had a holiday on the Gold Coast when the bushfires were going through near Noosa and tried running on the beach with the smoke - I felt like an asthmatic. It is amazing how much harder it is to run when the air is even a little bit smoky.

So many awful stories coming out of the fires burning all around the country at the moment. My heart goes out to all the people living through it, and my anger goes out to our coal-hugging politicians.

3. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Larry,
    I would think that if you can see the smoke that must mean the ppm amount of particles must be quite high in the air and breathing it, especially if you are slightly asthmatic, would cause wheezing and shortness of breath.
    I get highly irritated by the pollies argument about "We only emit 1.5%". How about becoming leaders for once rather than being dragged along kicking and screaming. On a per capita basis we are one of the worlds highest emitters, we shouldn't be telling people in poor countries to cut back if we are not seen to be playing the game fairly. There is one planet and we all live on it, countries are artificial human constructions, we should pull our weight. The air has cleared in Adelaide now so I think they must have got control of the fires in the hills but I fear they will be back by the weekend once the temperatures get back to over 40C.
    Early morning running is the way to go at the moment.

Regards
    Neil

4. Tedlet

Tedlet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Those are crazy temperatures you guys are having at the moment. The fires feature on the news over here every now and then -sounds pretty bad. I find it quite difficult to imagine actually seeing the land you live on disappear in flames in front of you.
    Hope they manage to get the situation under control soon...
    I visited Glenelg a few years back (I remember it has its own tram doesn't it?) -nice place to run...

5. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Tedlet,
    You are correct, you can catch a tram from Adelaide to Glenelg, our only remaining tram. Unlike Melbourne which has a complete tram system that they didn't rip up in the middle of last century.

Cheers
    Neil

Tedlet likes this.
  6. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Nomad

This past summer here in Georgia, we had an extreme heat wave summer. It's supposed to be worse this next summer. I worry about the fires. My heart breaks for places like California, Amazon, and Australia, etc. :(

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  7. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

We had another hot one today, 42C, too hot to exercise, I don't enjoy treadmills so I felt a bit trapped inside.
    I'm just hoping that we are not in a positive feedback loop with the climate where the heat causes the increase in fires which release more carbon which then causes more heat etc.
    I like your "Posterity footprint" signature, very true sentiment.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.