The Disclaimer

Dirtbag

Barefooters
Oct 17, 2010
I just took a trip to Texas and the only footwear I brought was my two pairs of VFFs. This, it seems, is a conversation starter. In the airport, on the plane, in the hotel, during the conference I was there for, people were asking me about my shoes. And I'm more than willing to spread the gospel. I'm normally a gregarious person even with strangers (unless I'm trying to read on the plane. Then leave me alone lady-who-doesn't-understand-the-subtle-clue-of-me-glancing-at-you-nodding-and-looking-back-at-my-book). I talked to at least a dozen people who started a conversation along the lines of, "How are those?" or "What are those?" with a few, "OMG! I LOOOOVE my Vibrams!" thrown in. (By the way, is it Vibrams with an "eye" or with an "ee"? I heard it both ways and always say it with an "eye")

But nearly every time someone asks about the shoes and I tell them about running minimalist-style and barefooting, which always makes it in to the conversation too, I find myself dropping the disclaimer. "Avoid TMTS. Go slow. Take your time. Do some reading about it." I feel like on the off chance one of these people goes out and gets some VFFs or tries barefoot they need to be properly informed. And since I'm the one preaching the way, I should be honest about the, I'm hesitant to use this word, risks.

Anyone else experience a similar thing? Is it our job to tell people to get informed?

Vitale Bramani says

Vitale Bramani says "Vee-Brum", and he would be the horse's mouth.

Besides, LPJason says Vee-Brum, that's good enough for me!

I always expect to be questioned about barefoot vs shod, but even though I have never even held a pair of five fingers

in my hands, I keep up with the current thinking of just where they fit in since everyone either want's to turn me on to them or ask me why I don't just wear them.

Yes, we all should be prepared with talking points.

I have heard it's Vee-brum

I have heard it's Vee-brum too, which is what I say.

And yes, I always give the disclaimer to anyone who seems interested in barefoot/minimalist running!!

Dirtbag wrote:But nearly

Dirtbag said:
But nearly every time someone asks about the shoes and I tell them about running minimalist-style and barefooting, which always makes it in to the conversation too, I find myself dropping the disclaimer. "Avoid TMTS. Go slow. Take your time. Do some reading about it." I feel like on the off chance one of these people goes out and gets some VFFs or tries barefoot they need to be properly informed. And since I'm the one preaching the way, I should be honest about the, I'm hesitant to use this word, risks.

Anyone else experience a similar thing? Is it our job to tell people to get informed?

Doug,

Going from a sedentary life style to any sort of physical pursuit requires a disclaimer such as you give for BFR. Many stress fractures (amongst other things) are caused by TMTS in shod runners, cyclists get knee, neck and back problems and swimmers can even get shoulder problems. I read a lot of podiatrists forums - it's good to keep an eye on all sides of an argument - and so many of the negative issues that they focus on are caused by TMTS, which are attributed to BFR, not the root cause!!

Keep educating - an informed runners is an ally - a disgrunted, injured runner is a possible adversary.

1.  Yes, I have heard Vee

1. Yes, I have heard Vee Brum.

2. Yes! Spreading the word about running with less or even much less on yor feet is good and a I do a lot of it, heavily salted with disclaimers Very Good!

I feel it's important to

I feel it's important to educate the public on the benefits and risks of barefoot and minimalist running at every opportunity. The more people that take heed, the less injuries we will see blamed on BFR and the better for running overall it will be.

I emphasize it's OK to start

I emphasize it's OK to start small but I don't try to be too precious about it. If the people you meet are anything like the people I meet, most have never voluntarily run a step in their lives and don't need anything to muck up the waters for them. Mostly, I emphasize a) it's fun and b) anyone can do it. If someone is actually a runner and really seriously wants to try minimalist, I will provide more information.

Good advice, J.  Don't muddy

Good advice, J. Don't muddy the waters for the newcomers. Keep it clear and simple.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts