The bumpy road to 'The Race of the Century' - The Battle to Break the Four-Minute Mile

The shoes these track runners used back in the day could be considered minshoes, minus the spikes of course!

The Race of the Century.jpg

The bumpy road to 'The Race of the Century'
The Battle to Break the Four-Minute Mile

By NY Daily News

Roger Bannister.png

Roger Bannister's Track Shoes.png

It was a race against time and themselves.

Seventy years ago, three men competed to break a world record – the four-minute mile.

Before high-tech shoes and sports medicine devoted to running, they kept challenging themselves to simply run faster.

"The Race of the Century: The Battle to Break the Four-Minute Mile," by Neal Bascomb (Scholastic)

Neal Bascomb’s “The Race of the Century: The Battle to Break the Four-Minute Mile,” tells the story of these men chasing a long-elusive goal.

Great Britain’s competitor was Roger Bannister, born into a middle-class suburban family. He liked archaeology, building models and was often bullied. The only notice the quiet, awkward child attracted was mild ridicule.

Then, one day on the beach, he discovered running.

“I was startled,” he said later, remembering how the sand slipped away beneath his feet. “I glanced around uneasily to see if anyone was watching. A few more steps… the earth seems almost to move with me. I was running now, and a fresh rhythm entered my body.”

To continue reading, please visit: https://www.nydailynews.com/enterta...0220331-uybh4yu73bfyfogxmaens62uee-story.html

The bumpy road to 'The Race of the Century' - New York Daily News
NY Daily News
Earlier, running barefoot, Landy had gashed his foot on a photographer's flashbulb. Bannister had a chest cold. Of course, neither man even ...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts