The Best Minimal Sandals Advice

barefoot kean

Barefooters
Jun 3, 2010
Anchorage
Hello everyone. I lost my invisible shoes brand sandals awhile back and am now in the market for a new pair of sandals. I really enjoyed them and am considering buying them again, however id like input on any other possibly better brand out there. Any advice on a brand to get next, or keep on with invisible shoes?

Thanks, Barefoot Kean

For an incomprehensible reason, Steven Sashen chose to change the name of his invisible shoes into xero shoes. ;) No difference, just another name.
In terms of cost it's difficult to find less expensive.
Personally I'm happier with my self made huaraches out of vibram supernewflex 4 mm rubber. These are even more flexible and lighter than the vibram rubber used for the 4 mm invisible/xero shoes.
But if you have very long feet this would probably not be a good choice for you, as they would flap a bit more than the xeros. Less traction as well.

Reactions: Darkand
I made my own, my newest pair out of Luna's neoprene sole which I really like. If you don't want to make your own you could look at their pre-made venados or other sandals. They are a bit pricey but I like their quality, top notch. I also have some Unshoes Pah Tempes which are great as they do not have a strap that goes between the toes, the problem for me with these is that they are cut too wide and when I run through deeper puddles or flooded areas (here in the Pacific Northwest it rains a lot) they really create a lot of drag, so I need to cut them down a bit so they don't do this so bad. I do hear good things about their other sandals that they offer as well, but I haven't tried them myself yet.

For an incomprehensible reason, Steven Sashen chose to change the name of his invisible shoes into xero shoes. ;) No difference, just another name.
In terms of cost it's difficult to find less expensive.
Personally I'm happier with my self made huaraches out of vibram supernewflex 4 mm rubber. These are even more flexible and lighter than the vibram rubber used for the 4 mm invisible/xero shoes.
But if you have very long feet this would probably not be a good choice for you, as they would flap a bit more than the xeros. Less traction as well.
Wow, these sound awesome! Can you post a pic. You've got me thinkin about this now! I've been googling Vibram Supernewflex. I found a supplier in Germany. :)

Well, runbrancas are quite nice. They have got simpliest custom sizing system and better adjusting than other sandals.. I would really hope that huarache style sandals would be upgraded from paleo era to this century sometime soon... Modern sport sandals have had that easy adjusting system for quite long (=three separately adjustable straps). Lunas, xeros, unshoes, bedrock sandals all have just one point for adjusting three separate parts(behind the heel, front of ankle, between toes straps). Runbrancas have two.

Wow, these sound awesome! Can you post a pic. You've got me thinkin about this now! I've been googling Vibram Supernewflex. I found a supplier in Germany. :)
Not sure about the picture - I always seem to have problems to make a picture visible in a Forum. :(
To compare: 4 mm customized (european size 39 but trimmed to fit my personal feet) Xero shoes weigh about 200 grams the pair
4 mm customized Supernewflex sandals weigh about 100 grams the pair.
As I mentioned, the supernewflex material is lighter and more flexible.
But, there is always a but!
They are great for dry roads, but it seems for nothing else: the other day I had them on in my garden and an unseen but upstanding and well rooted cut twig poked right through them. Kinda painful experience. I suppose with skin to ground this wouldn't have happened!
So the Xeros are definitely sturdier for uncertain underground.
As for wet conditions both become slippery: the xeros between skin and rubber and the supernewflex between rubber and ground.
As for the supplier in Germany, I suppose that would be this one, where I got mine:
http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/....html?XTCsid=ae1b564672d0f076c61c3e3849923dba
Today they offer more choice, but their sturdier vibram rubbers are also much heavier and apparently even heavier than the rubber used for xero shoes.
Hope that helps!

Reactions: Darkand
No complaints with my Unshoes. I have three models for different conditions. I've put a lot of time on them and they are very durable.

Can't claim they are the best, I haven't tried other sandal brands, but I sure like them and have no need to try other brands.

Reactions: NickW
No complaints with my Unshoes. I have three models for different conditions. I've put a lot of time on them and they are very durable.

Can't claim they are the best, I haven't tried other sandal brands, but I sure like them and have no need to try other brands.
Do you have the feathers Rick? Curious what you think of them if you do.

Do you have the feathers Rick? Curious what you think of them if you do.

Yes. They were my first pair. I had them trimmed really close and I soon out grew them. I got a second pair. Love them for ease of on and off. I don't run with them much because the conditions where I would use them I might as well barefoot. For more technical trails, I use the Wokova model. I do have a problem with the heel strap falling down. I simply added a shoelace around the ankle to hold them up.

I do have a problem with the heel strap falling down. I simply added a shoelace around the ankle to hold them up.
This was the problem I was worried about with them. I get really annoyed when I can't keep the heel strap up. I guess that's why I usually prefer to tie my huaraches in the traditional style. The problem is this is not fast and if you tie them too tight it can be a problem and you still have to stop to loosen them up a bit.

i prefer my luna O's over anything. i buy the kit as i shape them to my feet and save some money.

ended up getting a run in with the Luna Venados...and an unexpected speed workout saving a doggie.
They preformed great, no rubbing with the ATS laces...super comfortable.
I was very happy however I was surprised at how thick they are...
I will say that I'd rather they be a bit thicker and not flop than really thin and floppy...
So far I haven't had any "flop" issues :)