The Barefoot Running Movement: We Need to Change with our Audience

It will be interesting to see

It will be interesting to see how many people over the coming years will join and report that they had looked at this site previously but decided not to become members at the time.

I realize how slow change will happen for most people when I look at how our eating habits as a family have changed over the las ten years. At the time going to fast food restaurants was pretty normal and we didn't worry about it if it was "only once a week". Then we decided about 5 years ago to plant a veggie garden and eat only whole grains. Now we don't eat at fast restaurants at all any more, rarely eat at any restaurant, eat mostly organic, non-GMO, almost no processed food, starting to go gluten-free and I'm seriously looking at both Paleo and raw vegan, LOL.

The reason I'm saying all this is: We don't live in a vacuum, as the answer to the children's footwear thread show, we are influenced by friends and family, the internet, TV etc. and even once we have decided to try something very new it can take months or years to replace old habits with new ones. I did not realize this for most of my life, but shoes are so much more than a foot covering. There is a reason the average woman who can afford it has 30 pairs or more. ;)

It will be interesting to see

It will be interesting to see how many people over the coming years will join and report that they had looked at this site previously but decided not to become members at the time.

We hear this all the time.

Not even pizza...once in a great while?!

Barefoot TJ wrote: Not even

Barefoot TJ said:
Not even pizza...once in a great while?!

Oh, I have no intention of giving up pizza but we load it with veggie toppings and onions instead of pepperoni and sausage. :) As I said, this is a process. We are going to try to make our own crust with buckwheat flour and also make our own tortillas and pancakes that way. I should have clarified that I'm hoping to combine the best of raw vegan, paleo and low-carb diet, essentially foods that are as natural as possible. As far as processed foods I meant I try to buy as unprocessed as possible but will do some processing (chopping, grinding, drying and heating) as necessary. I've discovered that a lot less is necessary than I used to think. We are now using raw nuts, eat mostly raw grains, mostly raw fruits and veggies, sprouted beans and grains, raw milk cheese, raw milk when available, virgin olive oil and coconutoil etc.

I figure if I eat healthy food 90% of the time and occasionally eat what most people consider "normal" food I'll be fine. I guess it's like wearing heels for an hour a day or for a special occasion. Probably not enough to do damage. :)

NickW - It always helps me to

NickW - It always helps me to remember one thing when dealing with doctors, of any sort - they're providing YOU a service. That makes you the consumer. Remember...the customer is ALWAYS right. :)

Do they have specialized knowledge the rest of us don't, sure thing. However, that doesn't mean they're right 100% of the time. Educate yourself and have faith in your ability to make decisions regarding your body. Bottom line - you're the only one that has to live in it and that makes you 100% qualified to make any and all decisions regarding what is and is not done with/to/around it. Hope all went well with the appointment.

SoleSolace wrote:NickW - It

SoleSolace said:
NickW - It always helps me to remember one thing when dealing with doctors, of any sort - they're providing YOU a service. That makes you the consumer. Remember...the customer is ALWAYS right. :)

Do they have specialized knowledge the rest of us don't, sure thing. However, that doesn't mean they're right 100% of the time. Educate yourself and have faith in your ability to make decisions regarding your body. Bottom line - you're the only one that has to live in it and that makes you 100% qualified to make any and all decisions regarding what is and is not done with/to/around it. Hope all went well with the appointment.

Thanks Sole! He actually wasn't bad yesterday. He didn't flinch or anything when I said barefoot running. He didn't say anything bad, but he also didn't say anything good. I think he was just keeping his mouth shut and trying to examine the patient and not lose a patient. Turns out I have Achilles Tendonitis and a mild Plantar Fasciitis along with collapsed arches (I already knew about the collapsed arches) and I apparently have really tight calves. Basically he told me I need to rest, which I've already done for the last week, and see physical therapy and sleeping with the night splint thing. Problem with that I can't get in to see them (physical therapy) till Feb 1! Oh well at least I know whats wrong now so I can find how to treat on my own in the mean time while waiting to see them.

I have a saying I use about

I have a saying I use about anything I choose to do with my life. " It's not for everybody". I absolutely agree with you that insisting that this is the one and only way to run will turn people off. When people ask about it I let them know that for me personally it's been a life changer, but that it is something that requires a certain amount of dedication and understanding. This opens us up for a conversation about what is required and needed from a person interested and helps spread the word in a more knowledgeable way. I still have one guy who pokes his head out of his office every time I jog by and gives me the your crazy gesture, but I know that he knows I have a good sense of humor about it and at least he understands where I am coming from. Thanks for the article it was an interesting read.

www.myfeetmademedoit.com

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090