The Barefoot Running Movement: We Need to Change with our Audience

Last Place Jason wrote:Not

Last Place Jason said:
Not much of a story- just got rid of debt and excessive bills. You know... start drinking the mid-grade beer instead of the fancy stuff.
wink_smile.gif

Actually, Jason, your story is very inpirational for a lot of people and what I was hinting at before is that it would make a good book in itself. These days, more and more average people living mainstream lives are looking for viable alternatives and escape routes. We're questioning the traditional messages and mentalities that are causing us to drop like flies, victims of burnout and unfulfilled ambitions. And a lot of us want o-u-t. The biggest question, however, is always, 'How? I know what I want, but I don't know how to go about getting there'.

You've already inspired and spawned a schoal of barefoot blogging guppies. You just have to think bigger. I mean, you don't have to, but it's definitely an option for you. Or, well, maybe after a couple years once you've really established yourself. Which I'm confident you'll do. No doubts inmy mind.

Of course, barefooting is a great springboard for breaking out of the hamster wheels, but you've gone further than just that. You've kind of gone from the micro to the macro levels.

PS - nod to Nick: Dittoes on the kudos for your story, man! I didn't know any of that stuff. You gotta be sure and run past whatever clinic did that hatchet job on your back, at least three times a week, if not once a day! Maybe get your story into the local newspaper, too. (now look who's evangelising here, lol).

Jason,i take it you've never

Jason,

i take it you've never heard of Michael Jackson's quote "life is too short to drink cheap beer".

that's the beer critic and not the singer for the unitiated. he also said "there is no bad beer only better".

Willie- I'm considering it,

Willie- I'm considering it, but the story's still being written. We're still exploring where to draw our own personal line between minimalism and consumerism. We don't live like monks, but we also don't buy things that don't have a definite purpose. As far as the lifestyle, we're still exploring that, too. Lots of experimenting to do.

Mike- I didn't say cheap beer, just cheaper beer. :)

Nick- that is a great story, man!

Jason, you really should be

Jason, you really should be writing a book about all of your and your family's adventures and experiences. I think that would be a good read and lots of people would buy your book. I think you all have some good stuff to share. You can talk about where you were, how you got to where you are now, and where you plan on going. With your personality and sense of humor, I think it would be a hoot!

Mig, I had no idea Michael Jackson was so into beer.

Willie, I don't know that

Willie, I don't know that they did a hatchet job on my back, I think maybe it's just not enough is known yet about the human body and condition and they did the best they can. The back is one of the hardest and mysterious things for doctors to figure out. My drs that I had are some of the best in the nation, and I know they did what they could. A year after my second back surgery, they didn't know what else to do and didn't want to keep opening me up to try to "fix" something when they weren't sure what that something was. I commend them on this and am very thankful they didn't keep trying different things and their honesty in being able to say they didn't know what was going on.

I don't know that my story is anything all that great and it may be quite the anomally, which is why I also tell people this works for me but may not for them.

Jason, I would totally read a book about your story.

Mike, I don't drink cheap beer, sorry I've never offered you one when you've been over. Keeping those for myself I guess.
wink.png

Barefoot TJ wrote:Mig, I had

Barefoot TJ said:
Mig, I had no idea Michael Jackson was so into beer.

That Michael Jackson actually called my town of Kulmbach a Shangri-La for beer lovers the world over ;)

Nick - ok, I misunderstood your experience. But still.... you said you were worse off than before the surgery. So, well, I dunno. Can't really get too excited about the doc's in your case, their qualifications and attitudes notwithstanding. They don't know anything outside their narrow realm of the scalpel and you found real relief in a totally different area.

i don't know about he whole

i don't know about he whole "movement" thing. that sounds a bit heavy, and to me it implies things like ideology and fanatacism. like...is there a correct polictal philosophy or lifestyle to accompany BR ?

that aside, barefooting has really been life changing for me, and being able to tap into this collective mind has had a huge effect. my story is pretty typical, as i've come to learn. ran shod on and off for a number of years. running used to be something i did (and mostly hated) to try to keep in shape when i oculdnt do the sports i really love (surfing, skiing[downhill and cross-country] mostly). and new york city is not exactly the best place for those sports on a steady basis.

i first tried barefooting after the goading of a friend (and fellow surfer) who figud it out a couple of years ago and has run a couple of marathons (in VFF's), when were training for a 5K roadrace with some other guys (actually all surfers too).

there was a lot of pain, and stops and starts, but once i started figuring out and experienceing the real pleasure of barefooting, i've been hooked, and now i'm doing 20 to 30 mies a week. (though these days when its below about 45 most of the time i'm in VFF's) the mst important aspect is nw its fun, and something i actually look forward to.

this forum and all these people who keep talking about BFR have provided an invaluable resource to keep me moving through the learning curve. this includes providing a repository of knowledge, a forum to process ideas, and a source of support to get through dificulties (it was invaluble when dealing with injuries to hear about a million other people who dealt with the same thing and how they mae it to he other side)

i'm pushing fifty, and i seem to be getting less and less enthusiastic each winter about pulling on the old wetsuit in the middle of february (when there happen to be waves) or driving 3 hours north (when there might be snow) but im pretty jazzed about turning off this computer and hitting the streets in a few minutes. if this "movement" hadn't existed i might not have stumbled upon BFR in the first place, and i most likely wouldnt have kept going.

Here's a few examples from my

Here's a few examples from my barefooting career thus far:

Hottest 1/2 marathon: Mostly good comments and supportive observers. Even ran the final mile or so with a kid who had taken off his shoes as they were wet and he was getting blisters. We worked on his form and he had a riot finishing barefoot.

Marine Corps Marathon: A lot of good comments and conversations. Probably no converts, but the look on most of the spectators faces was well worth the effort.

Average training runs: This is where I get the most snarky comments about ruining my feet and the like. At this point I just smile and laugh and, generally, look like a fool (so I guess I know what it's like to be Talon or Chaser).

Not that I ever cared about other's opinions, but now I really couldn't care less. If they don't like it, piss on 'em... If they are asking intelligent questions, I'll engage and educate.

So, let me ask a question - Why should we care if more people run barefoot or not? A majority of the masses won't deviate from their "education" that you need this shoe or that shoe. So, my thought is to just be yourself and conduct yourself with respect and civility and be a good example of the barefoot runner.

JMHO.

(Edit: I have been fighting a plantars wart for 8 years and finally decided to go to a foot doc yesterday to get the damn thing sorted out once and for all. The doc's office I went to was the same one that made my orthotics two years ago. I saw a different doc and he commented on the strong look of my feet as he's shaving off the wart. I told him my story about being a runner for over 35 years, always running in pain, forking out the $ for the orthotics and them not working worth a sh!t, researching running barefoot, taking the plunge and having a life-altering beneficial result, yada, yada, yada... I actually thought he was going to actually stab me with the scalpel (not the best of timing on my part, so I'll take the hit on that one). I got a lecture on how I was destroying my feet and legs (from a 12 year old doctor, no less) and I would be back for custom shoe inserts for the rest of my life. I told him his office's orthotics didn't work worth a sh!t for me and that the barefoot running had changed my life for the better. He smirked. I smirked back. I sure hope I don't have to go back for another wart treatment...)

pilotrunner wrote: (Edit: I

pilotrunner said:
(Edit: I have been fighting a plantars wart for 8 years and finally decided to go to a foot doc yesterday to get the damn thing sorted out once and for all. The doc's office I went to was the same one that made my orthotics two years ago. I saw a different doc and he commented on the strong look of my feet as he's shaving off the wart. I told him my story about being a runner for over 35 years, always running in pain, forking out the $ for the orthotics and them not working worth a shit, researching running barefoot, taking the plunge and having a life-altering beneficial result, yada, yada, yada... I actually thought he was going to actually stab me with the scalpel (not the best of timing on my part, so I'll take the hit on that one). I got a lecture on how I was destroying my feet and legs (from a 12 year old doctor, no less) and I would be back for custom shoe inserts for the rest of my life. I told him his office's orthotics didn't work worth a shit for me and that the barefoot running had changed my life for the better. He smirked. I smirked back. I sure hope I don't have to go back for another wart treatment...)

Pilot, you know have me scared for my podiatrist appointment on Monday. Last time I went there was a year and a half ago and he had me get custom orthotics that never worked. I don't want to argue or fight with a dr and that is exactly what I am afraid will happen. I would go to the barefoot friendly dr but he doesn't accept insurance and also requires full payment up front. Unfortunately I am just a poor college student and can't afford a dr without my insurance.

Jim- "movement" is the

Jim- "movement" is the terminology I use among our crowd... it's not meant to imply that's it's a giant social revolution or anything. When discussing this outside our circle, I never frame this as anything more than a different, possibly better, way to run.

Pilot- It's okay if you're not into spreading the idea. It's cool to just go out and run. This discussion is intended for those that are interested in spreading the idea. As far as why? I think the eperiences of those of us that have made the transition answer that.
wink_smile.gif

NickW wrote:  I don't want to

NickW said:
I don't want to argue or fight with a dr and that is exactly what I am afraid will happen.

Scary how easily intimidated we are, isn't it? The doctor is working for you. Don't forget that and don't let him/her forget it, either. Take inspiration from Pilot's story!

BFwillie_g wrote:NickW

BFwillie_g said:
NickW said:
I don't want to argue or fight with a dr and that is exactly what I am afraid will happen.

Scary how easily intimidated we are, isn't it? The doctor is working for you. Don't forget that and don't let him/her forget it, either. Take inspiration from Pilot's story!

I couldn't agree more. :)

I have a question about the C

I have a question about the C group, the people who buy minimalist shoes without doing their research. Are there any statistics if these are mostly people who buy these shoes as a fashion statement and only walk in them occasionally or if they are people who are already runners or people who are hoping to become runners?

My guess is that the first category won't get hurt because their use of minimalist shoes will be occasional and will mostly be walking. The second category are people who are more likely to read regularly on the web about all things running and have probably at least done some reading on the Runner's world site. If experienced runners don't do some research than this is a choice they make, they should know better. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of people read here but never become members.

The third category of people are the ones that I would consider most worthy of support because they are very likely to be misled by well-intentioned but not well-educated "professionals" who tell them to go to a "good running specialty store" and get fitted with the "right" kind of shoes. People who have decided that they want to be healthier and think that running may be a good thing to do. They often spend time on weight management websites or in health clubs and are usually told to start slowly, with the C25K program, Jeff Galloway method or other training programs that are suitable for people who have very little cardio-vascular fitness. Starting slowly in minimalist shoes does not make it that likely to get hurt and if someone does get hurt it's likely to be minor.

So I wonder if I'm missing something.

By the way, I'm sure there are lots of people who would benefit a lot from a running coach in general. As a still fairly novice runner I always have a lot of questions and if I had the money I would definitely get a coach. Unfortunately I can't find anyone in my area who is both knowledgeable about running in general but also a barefoot/minimalist runner. This is where the real benefit of this forum comes in for me. I can get feedback from people who are much more advanced then I am. But my questions are rarely in the area of form or anything that is specific to barefoot/minimalist running. Most of that I learned in the first 3 months of starting running, most of it during going through the C25K program.

palouserider wrote: By the

palouserider said:
By the way, I'm sure there are lots of people who would benefit a lot from a running coach in general. As a still fairly novice runner I always have a lot of questions and if I had the money I would definitely get a coach. Unfortunately I can't find anyone in my area who is both knowledgeable about running in general but also a barefoot/minimalist runner. This is where the real benefit of this forum comes in for me. I can get feedback from people who are much more advanced then I am. But my questions are rarely in the area of form or anything that is specific to barefoot/minimalist running. Most of that I learned in the first 3 months of starting running, most of it during going through the C25K program.

Yeah, but you hit it on the head. Where else can you find several thousand barefoot runners from whom you could seek counsel? There are some folks here with some serious creds and thousands of pure barefoot miles.

Best running coach(s) you could find IMHO.

Happy running!

Pilotrunner

Thank you, PR.  You all are

Thank you, PR. You all are good peeps.

I'm not against Barefoot Running Coaches. (See Barefoot Running Instructors Map.) What's disturbing is the fee some charge to teach others to teach; none are listed on this map, that I know of. Some people are truly uncomfortable doing it on their own. They need to run with someone, in public, to help ease them into it. They need that one-on-one feedback and critique. If that's what makes those people comfortable breaking into barefoot running, over their never trying, I'm all for that.

It would also be interesting to know what percentage of people read here but never become members.

I grabbed this just the other day when I was working on something else. This is a snap shot of the past 10.25 months--Black Thursday accounting for the missing weeks, as some of you will remember ;-) cough cough. Currently, we have 4,019 verified members. You can see the number of Unique Visitors to the site each month, averaging 26,070. These are people who have never been to our site prior to their first visit. Now look at the Hits column. We've been averaging approx. 2 million hits on our site each month (1,952,991) over the past 10.25 months.

Sadly, we do not, since we

Sadly, we do not, since we left that other hosting company that caused our site to crash during a supposed simple migration to a VPS. (We were growing so fast, the vanilla server couldn't handle the load anymore.) I can tell you that we were founded on November 1, 2009. We began inviting beta testers (between March and April), and by September 6, 2010, when we opened the doors to the public, we had 680 beta testers.

Okay, I found our Google

Okay, I found our Google Analytics, which doesn't provide as much info, but might be useful:

BRSSiteStats030110-012011_2.png

BRSSiteStats030110-012011_1.png

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo9090