Thanks for a wonderful barefoot running season!

1147504412.jpg
Thanks for a wonderful barefoot running season!
By Fatty

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone in this online community for their contributions to the forum. I started reading about the VFFs and the "natural" running style back in January of this year (2012) where I was starting to plan ahead for some physical activities. I got in on a Tough Mudder set for Sept 8th and a local marathon for Sept 23. I had always done the Nike brand when I was in high school and the Marine Corps and liked the idea and added challenge of running more natural. It took me 2.5 months to change over to the VFF Bikila model at which point I was weighing in at 238 lbs.

From January to June I was already sold on the natural/forefoot style vs heel toe in the traditional running shoes. I tried running in my former pair of shoes and the feeling wasn't any where near as comfortable and enjoyable. I had read a few books to further work on my technique and my distance had started becoming greater and greater. Every time I started aching besides my calves I'd go back to the drawing board to make sure I was maintaining the right path.

When my 5k started getting closer in June I had been toying with the idea of doing it barefoot. The first time I tried it I completed 2 miles with no serious wear/tear or blistering. Then I moved up to the 4 mile mark a week before my 5k to make sure my pads could handle a little more than the 5k distance. I was sold on running barefoot after completing my first race of the season. My weight was down to 228 and my time was right between 27 and 28 mins. I stopped using the VFFs altogether by the 3rd week of June even though I still carried them with me on my longer runs just in case of a mishap.

Throughout the month of July I upped my daily mileage to 5 with a 10 and 12 miler when I had the time. I found myself struggling with blisters on the pads and toes. It was really hit and miss. Some days I'd never have anything more than the typical red landing zones on the pads. Other days I'd get 3 blisters after the first 2 miles. That's where this site came into play. Every time I was having an issue, I assumed it was my technique. I believe that's why I like running barefoot the most. The need to keep your technique in check prevents the longer runs from getting boring. I did my first 10k race ever in this month as well, just over 1 hour, and that furthered my self confidence to the point where I was toying with the idea of making my first marathon I'd ever run in my life, a barefoot achievement.

By August I was now doing daily 6.5's with a 13.5 and 14 miler for my long runs. My pads would get rubbed raw by the 4th day but it was a motivating discomfort. "Run til I bleed" became my motto. By this point I refused to carry the VFFs. I found myself enjoying the thrill of running to work, or the daily runs even if it meant it was going to ache a little bit. Running had never felt this great.

The first week of Sept. I tapered for the Tough Mudder (12 mile distance off-road with obstacles). I picked up the Trek Sport model VFFs for this event. I didn't want to tear my feet up on unforeseen sharp objects 2 weeks before the marathon. The next day I did an 8 miler after work to work my pads in. Then I caught a nasty lung cold 2 days later which leveled me.

The 2 solid weeks I had for final prepping turned to crap. Even by the day of the marathon I still had junk in my lungs. I didn't run at all during this period because I was so worried about making it worse. Instead I focused on my diet.

By race day I was down to 218 lbs. and still feeling pretty confident in my abilities. It started at 7, temp was between 35 and 40, 9 mph winds, and I had my VFFs in my hand. I started off extra slow, I was shooting for a 5 hr finish time, I completed it in 5:45. My feet were numb from the start and didn't start to feel them again until 9a.m. Every 10 minutes I would stop and wipe my finger across my pads to make sure I wasn't carrying any hitch hikers or developing any blisters. I just kept focusing on trying to maintain my technique even though I couldn't feel what I was landing on or how hard I was striking. I just went with my gut.

Now as I said, the furthest I had run at that point was a 14 miler. And it was a great feeling 14 miler. But what happened to me by mile 14 on this run was downright random. My legs started locking up on me. I never experienced this kind of behavior even on my 25 mile gear hikes in the service. I had grabbed Gatorade and water at every check point. Apples and oranges and Gu when I had the opportunity. So I couldn't figure out for the life of me why I was experiencing this now. But I pressed on, walking through water points to rub it out and stretch, do some squats. It seemed to work alright. By mile 16 and 17 it was affecting my posture so bad that I was getting completely out of tune and I could feel it starting to affect my striking and my pads. I started feeling like I was reaching the threshold of the point of no return. Either I attempt to suck it up and keep going with my current situation and possibly not finish or throw the VFFs on.

I decided to go with the VFFs. What chance do I have at finishing a marathon if my feet go to hell. So mile 18 is my current record barefoot distance. Which, even now, seems so impossible to me. I was able to carry on through to the finish. The situation with my legs was so frustrating because even as I crossed the finish line, I wasn't breathing hard, hardly sweating (I was wearing an Under Armor base layer top +sleeveless and a pair of running shorts). I felt more worn out doing my first half marathon distance than I did finishing this marathon. But my legs obviously are feeling the most of the event.

And as far as tallies go for the season, I had to dig glass out of my pads twice. 1 metal sliver. Drained 9 blisters (mostly between July and August), 1 stubbed toe, 0 ankle rolls, and the most impressive fact that even my father can't believe... 0 injuries. He's ran 3 marathons previously and all season long he couldn't believe how I was racking up the miles at my weight/size without injuries. Don't get me wrong, he's been very motivated, encouraging, and supportive throughout the season. I actually have him going on the barefoot running as well. The amount of training I put in was all revolved around working 12hr southern swing shifts, a son born in January, and a few house projects. I feel I did everything I could to prepare and train and it felt great. I would've like to have been able to squeeze an 18 or 20 miler in some where but things were always on go. I have no regrets, everything happens for a reason, and as long as you're willing to adapt and overcome whatever gets thrown at you, you will persevere.

I wanted to post this as a testament to what I found over the last 8 months as I tested the waters of the "natural" running style. I also wanted to log this for anyone else out there that might stumble across this site and be as curious as I was, so they can have one more story to help them decide.

In the beginning I meant to start off with a different running style and ended up with a different life style.

I really mean it when I say thanks for everything!

P.S. Any questions or constructive criticism are encouraged

Great story, and 18 miles barefoot in that short time frame is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats, you are a inspiration of what you can do if you set your mind and feet to it.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Running is always in "season"...hehe. Great story and a great journey. Good luck on your next goal.

Its definitely only going to get better. I can't wait until my son gets old enough to run with dad and grandpa.

Thanks for the supportive responses.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts