Thank you Michael Sandler

Cali Girl

Barefooters
May 12, 2010
I hope it is okay to cross post stuff here as well as *whispers* the other place? lol

I am on week 9 of the cto5k program and was able to run the whole 30 min, which after I mapped it came out to 2.8 miles, not 3, but I am still jazzed about it. lol)

I got my Barefoot Running book by Sandler and started reading it at the end of last week. I pretty much haven't been focusing on anything except running in a way that feels good for me for the last two weeks or so. It has made a difference over trying to analyze my stride, cadence etc.

One thing I had never really thought of though was arm placement other than not to swing arms across my body. Well in his book Sandler talks about opening up the chest and arm placement.

I tried his suggestions this morning and was stunned at how much it helped me. Not only did the opening up of the chest help with my breathing but keeping my arms higher than what I usually do really helped me keep my feet up when I started getting tired.

Anyway, just had to share. lol

Very interesting Cali girl.

Very interesting Cali girl. I got my book too and am itching to get into but the schedule just has not allowed it yet. i agree with his run comfortable mantra. i know we try to get the "best" or "perfect" running form bare or shod but the truth is there is not one. there are great examples being put out there from some veteran barefooters but the truth is that what works for them may not work for you. i always coach my runners to to just run, let your form be yours, and we can tweak what needs to be worked with but the fundamentals of your form really should stay in tact.

i see too many barefoot newbs focusing too much on the form aspect because it is completely new to them and the theory that they are just a blank slate is there. good for you staying true to your natural mechanics and keeping it real.

i'm now going to have to make time for this book today as i have to see what he's saying. i've debated this arm thing a lot with people in trying to figure out the best arm placement for barefoot running so i'm intrigued that high arms is working for you.

thanks again

I tend to like the woo woo

I tend to like the woo woo so, so far I'm really enjoying the book. Early on I really worried about my form. My whole outting would be spend concentrating on this or that. I've come to the conclusion that just running, smiling and listening to my body is best.

As for the arm thing. I'm pretty curious to head out on Wed and see if I have the same experience. Up until today if I start shuffling, scuffing my soles, stubbing toes, stumbling etc when I start getting tired I would tell myself things like lift feet, pick your feet up etc only to find that in doing so I would concentrate on that area of my body to the point where I would just end up tight and uncomfortable. To think that I can accomplish all of that by spring loading my chicken wings, as Sandler calls it, is such a cimple thing that even I can get. lol

I hope you enjoy your read. I'm excited to see what else is in the book. Haven't had the chance to finish reading it yet. lol

If barefoot running is being

If barefoot running is being promoted positively and with the purpose of growing and sharing the benefits and joy of running barefoot, then we are all for that here. Share and share alike.

Like I've said before, I have my own quirky form. It may even look like I am suffering at times, and only because of the neuromas would that actually be the case. My proof of good form is in the fact that I have never suffered a barefoot running-related injury. Nuff said. ;-)

Once I stopped trying so

Once I stopped trying so hard it got easier!

I love Michaels book so far! Very thorough and helpful. They are such a nice couple!

Jessica sent me my copy to review for my blog and she was so supportive of women barefoot runners! I was impressed!