Supplements?

NotSoDoomedRunner

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2011
So, what type of supplements does everyone take? I drink Muscle Milk shakes with Amazing Greens Superfood when I do anaerobic work. But I really am not into the supplement thing until I read some positive reviews on Nitric Oxide supplements for tendon healing. So I got some called NO3 Chrome. It seems to do what it says, but oi the gas! I guess you get used to it. It is usually used by guys wanting a bigger "pump" in the gym, so the sales person assumed that is why I wanted it and told me all about the "massive pumps" I would get and how you would be able to see more veins. Very odd conversation. My 4 year old joined in and told the salesman how he would like to get a "pump" in his muscles as well. I told him that's what the 5 hour energy is for.

Okay that rant had nothing to do with this. Do you take supplements? What for? What kind of results do you get? How does it affect your running?

At the moment I'm into powdered pearls - in chinese traditional medicine it's used to strengthen the kidney energy. Apart from that it's also great to fortify the bones. :)

Well, I have a friend that is a nutritionist and he is firmly against supplements. He doesn't believe in them because they are not well regulated and because they are not natural. He tells me all the time to start trying to eat natural foods and veggies and get my nutrients from them instead of powders or pills. He also said to try to eat most of the veggies raw versus eating them cooked or steamed (he says they lose some of their nutrition when cooked and steamed). He has actually gotten me (just this week) to stop taking my protein shake I normally do and try strictly eating whole foods and zero of the highly processed foods. Funny but the gas stopped completely and I am starting to feel better and haven't had a headache in days (odd for me, usually I have one just about every day). I guess I do drink my three cups of coffee a day as well, so that bit is probably a bit processed.

I am with Nick's friend, but not for the same reasons. There are "natural" supplements and regulation is often more of a political competitive advantage than a safety measure. Real food is always your best bet. I love fruits, nuts and seeds. I have never been a big veggie eater but now I make green smoothies daily to help round out my diet.

I'm okay with high quality whey powder isolate. Protein is an essential macronutrient. There are some crap powders out there though, so one has to be careful. I prefer the 100% WPI from NutraBio. I don't use it very often anymore. However, I'm going to start using it post-workout along with a simple carb for refueling.