Summer time runs in Dordogne

Summer time runs in Dordogne
By RV.

Once again I was lucky enough to spend a part of my summer time along "la vézère" in dordogne, Perigord region located in France. This specific area, is as huge and incredible concentration of prehistoric, troglodyte and medieval major sites. From Lascaux painted caves, to Neanderthal and homosapiens sites. So quite exciting to get my feet in the path of those historical major places.

The playground is composed of different surface types. Main road, well maintained, perfect for barefooting, but too narrow for vehicles and runners in both time (so perfect to get hit by a car) not my first choice. Secondary roads very very hard for the feet. Trail forest path (rarely used made partly of silex rocks), crossed by animal forest path. The two last one are just perfect to discover the area. But not without a minimal protection on your feet.

My first 7km run tried to find a way in a lost and wild forest (not maintened at all by man), following the traces of animals paths, passing above fallen trees, into rocks or mud ground. As usual for a unknown ground experience, I grabbed my ultra light V5F with no socks to get the minimal required protection. Good idea, after less than a km my feet were facing dry chestnut spine zone. Even with protections I had to stop to get rid of intrusive debris stuck into my feet.

The second 10km exploration run was devoted to find my way back from a small village to our place. My observations of last year were confirmed, secondary roads of this area has very hard and abrasive surfaces. With pain I maintained 3 to 4 km barefoot, but had to get protections after that for the next road part. The last bit was partly big rock path and forest past. Quite similar from the day before. All was going ok until the last km. A pain on my ankle forced me to stop the exploration. Not surprisingly, the pain was linked with a small fall in the stairs due to my last night milk service (2 years kid does require some sleep sacrifice :).

The following day started very early before 6am with a sunrise slow 6,4 km run, focusing on animals observations. 3 does and 2 foxes passed me by. Once again I was tempted to go barefoot most of the way. But the observation target didn't left place to look on the ground and to look on the countryside in both time. A few observations and pictures along the way, and voilà, the 90 minutes past very quickly for only 6,4 km.

Due to family organizations and visits (more than 100 historical sites mapped around us in a 10k circle), I was a few hours later on duty to push my daughter back to our place located on the top of the hill. And another 4 km ascension was waiting for me. We crossed the way of a 94 years hold local woman (not running) who needed to discuss. A little gentle stop to chat on the area, and on her nearly century life. Very particular way to recover. Whenever this opportunity comes to me, it makes my day.

Today was a short of recuperation day with a 5k run under 31 °Celsius finalized by a jump in the swimming pool. From now we still have a full week left to spend on the area. For those following days I don't know yet which kind of run will make my day.

But for sure, it will be barefoot or with minimal protections.
Wish you all an exceptional summer time!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 357
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 354
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 344
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 325
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 327
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 330
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    386.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
And it's even better in real compared to pictures!