Suburban trail running

Gkikas

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2011
I live in suburbia, a huge expanse of cookie cutter subdivisions and endless sidewalks. There aren't any "trails" that I'm aware of around here, and if there were I'd likely have to get in my car and drive somewhere to run. Sadly, I wouldn't have time for that, as I'm kinda booked raising twin 2 year olds, plus a new 4 month old.

I thought I could make (read: blaze) my own trails -- running in the swales and through as many grassy areas as I can (there are plenty), hopscotching between green areas over asphalt. Trouble with that is that it's not really running "trails," but more of a mixed-media running experience (which is probably great, at times.)

Do any of you do this, or have any tips for finding/making trails for running? Does running off-road (besides beach) "count" as trail running?

Cheers!

This sounds fantastic,

This sounds fantastic, gkikas. You are a true adventurer... It sounds like you are open to all the opportunities and textures that are available to your feet, even if no government has come around to slap the word "trail" or "park" on them.

I think you will learn a lot if you "blaze" trails this way, because when you change surfaces, you will probably feel like some changes in technique are helpful too. For myself, that's a major thing I appreciate about trails, the constant changes in surface. I really have to be involved in the running; and I think it works more and different muscles too. But there's no reason you couldn't get those benefits anywhere, like you are suggesting.

Work in a little parkour and you'll be a star.

I am of the expert,

I am of the expert, considered, smarty pants opinion that trail running is as much a mentality as it is running in dirt. To me trail running means loving the terrain at your front door, cutting corners, aiming for the gravel, getting the feet dirty, running an extra mile because there is a vacant lot, sneaking up on people and animals, running in the rain, walking when you get tired, stopping to look at a mass of ants, running in zigzags, splashing in the gutter, and making old ladies faint.

Gkikas, I'm in the same boat

Gkikas, I'm in the same boat as you. There are plenty of sidewalks in my neighborhood, but I have to drive to get to anything resembling a trail - and I have time to do that about once a month (in which case I end up not doing it!). I often do the sidewalk/road thing, but I love running down the power lines in my neighborhood. I'm sure it's safer than living under them ;-) but it's the only thing resembling a "trail" that I can get to by running there. It ranges from grass (golf course, shh, please don't tell anyone) to dirt to hard-packed clay to gravel - and it's only about 2 miles long before coming to a fence I don't bother to jump (could, but don't; time to turn around at that point).

Like Abide and Nyal said, play on the grass, the dirt, the sidewalk, wherever you feel comfortable and just have fun. If you throw some parkour in there, make sure you don't over-do it like I did (4 months out of commission with a torn tendon).

Since you've got 2-year-olds, take them sometimes and chase them around (or have them chase you). It's not a heaping workout but it is fun and if you're all barefoot it counts!

And as for blazing your own trails - go for it!

Gkikas, sounds like you have

Gkikas, sounds like you have this mental image of what a "trail" looks like, and your surroundings don't mirror that. Reminds me of my first trail run. Yeah, I entered a trail run without ever having actually run on a trail. Go figure... Anyway, we live on 40 acres that is hilly and wooded and I told my wife that I was going to do this trail run so I could see what a running trail "looked" like.

After finishing the race and returning home, my wife asked, "what did the trails look like"? I replied, I have determined that I don't need to put any trails in here (at home), because I already have them. Got a space between two trees...you have a trail...have an open field...you have a trail.

So, like Nyal says, just go run. And if you leave the pavement...you have a trail! ;-)

Nyal wrote: To me trail

Nyal said:
To me trail running means loving the terrain at your front door, cutting corners, aiming for the gravel, getting the feet dirty, running an extra mile because there is a vacant lot, sneaking up on people and animals, running in the rain, walking when you get tired, stopping to look at a mass of ants, running in zigzags, splashing in the gutter, and making old ladies faint.

I like every single word you wrote. Thanks for the inspiration.

I love you guys....  what a

I love you guys.... what a great forum.

So that very day I ran my longest-yet barefoot run, a humble 2 miles over sidewalk AND GRASS... woot! My God it felt amazing... like a moment of shameless indulgence every time I'd lope into some neighbor's yard. It was liberating, thrilling, even giddy to be flying over the cool, soft grass.

I'm doing my best lately to not veer off the road because I'm rubbernecking into the woods while driving, looking for dirt roads, the presence of fences, power line access areas, anything that's got, as Miker says, two trees to run between. I spotted what looked like a break in the trees near our house today that I can't wait to go check out.

My inner Pan has been freed, and I'm a goner... this is too cool.

Fortunately I am surrounded

Fortunately I am surrounded by nature, it's hard to find a road to run on, but trails are everywhere. I mainly run on the gravel path in my avatar going into the woods by the creek. Roads in my neck of the woods are narrow and very dangerous, not to mention curvy! Since I have MT in my right foot, pavement is not my friend, so I stick to trail running. Keep in mind it's all barefoot. I never wear shoes, even when I am not running I still never wear shoes, the enjoyment level is too great to cover up my bare feet ;)