Study shows shoes change spring-like foot mechanics when people run

Discussion in 'Studies & Articles about Studies' started by Ahcuah, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Ahcuah

Ahcuah Barefooters

Study shows shoes change spring-like foot mechanics when people run

A team of researchers with the University of Queensland's Centre for Sensorimotor Performance has found that running shoes alter the natural spring-like mechanics of the foot while a person is running. In their paper published in the Journal of the Royal Society Interface, the group describes experiments they conducted with volunteers running on treadmills, and the differences they observed in foot mechanics when comparing runners running barefoot, versus wearing running shoes.

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-spring-like-foot-mechanics-people.html

bfsailor, Jaqa, Tedlet and 1 other person like this.
  2. Jaqa

Jaqa Barefooters

This article go me slightly angry like others like it do. Why? Because they are taking normal shod runners and comparing them to to normal shod runners sans shoes. We all know here that you only start getting benefits like economy, efficiency and speed after a longish period of time running barefoot.

I understand that it is difficult to get a large enough group of barefooters for statistical purposes, but studies like these don't mean much until there are true comparisons. Basically most studies I have seen on BFR.

(Apologies for being a bit grumpy! Might be getting over-trained this week..)

3. Wanderer Jiyuren

Wanderer Jiyuren Barefooters
    1. California...

Maybe it's time for those of us who've been at it a while to start volunteering for studies then.

4. happysongbird

happysongbird Chapter Presidents
    1. Idaho

Makes me think of how absurd it would be to do a study to see if walking went better when people bend their knees...

5. skedaddle

skedaddle Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

When you add a shoe to a foot it no longer acts like a foot, go figure.