Study of Foot Muscles

Quite a long time actually. Science advances when interested individuals ask questions and look for answers. The data they gather is analyzed and replicated for confirmation. It is an iterative process absolutely dependent on those who are interested in these questions with the funding to carry out research.

Rather than a comprehensive survey, it's really conducted one step at a time. Think of it as mapping out new territory by foot, without modern satellite imaging.

The problem with barefoot running is that the established "experts" don't have any incentive to conduct research, because that might change the status quo. Sure, people wear shoes because of fashion, but who profits from their crippled feet?

Either that or they are dullards who don't ask any interesting questions. I'm not sure which is worse.

Reactions: Bare Lee
This is the first study to show that muscles in the feet help support the arch of the foot! WTF!

Excellent article. I need to share this on the home page soon.

This highlights the importance of what we do here. We aren't professional athletes, we're normal, everyday people who follow our passion. In fact, everything we do is contrary to the "experts". Our success serves as a foundation for those scientists who possess the intellectual curiosity and honesty to further human knowledge. In fact, our running serves as a data set to support research, which will one day educate the "experts". Keep it up the good work, BRS buddies!

Well said, Sid! Very good point. We are "keeping them on their toes," if you will. Hee.

I've been thinking about this. Apparently, these "professionals" and others didn't realize that the foot's muscles played such an important role in, well, the foot, and its arch, even though the foot has three arch muscles (and for propulsion and locomotion, etc.) because they don't use their foot muscles. But if you ask a barefoot runner, even a brand new barefoot runner, if they can feel the muscles in their feet "working," they will say, "YES!"

I guess we can use the same old arm cast analogy. If we had always worn a cast on our arms and knew of nothing else, would we question the muscles in our arms to be effective (or the possibility to be effective), or would we think that our shoulder muscles were doing all the work? Ha!

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Thanks for finding this and sharing here, Randy! It's a great article for barefoot running and foot health. I have it on the home page now.

I guess we can use the same old arm cast analogy.
http://m.rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/11/93/20131188
According to the abstract, the abductor hallucis is one of arch supporting muscles. This muscle allows one to spread the great toe, as shown in the man's foot below. Note that his big toes actually curve away from the foot. This normal variant of the unshod was described half a century ago. http://jbjs.org/article.aspx?articleid=12972
unshod-feet.jpg
Most of the habitually shod cannot spread their big toes to the extent that the man above can. All mass-produced closed-toe shoes prevent the abductor hallucis from spreading fully, and thus serve to limit one of the muscles that support the arch.
Edit: This is one reason why I'm making my own shoes.

This highlights the importance of what we do here. We aren't professional athletes, we're normal, everyday people who follow our passion. In fact, everything we do is contrary to the "experts". Our success serves as a foundation for those scientists who possess the intellectual curiosity and honesty to further human knowledge. In fact, our running serves as a data set to support research, which will one day educate the "experts". Keep it up the good work, BRS buddies!
Yah, I know from first-hand experience that the arch muscles do a lot of work, cuz whenever I run long I need a good arch massage, either with my fingers or with a wooden foot roller, to keep the muscles there from getting tight and pulling on my mets or heels, which can be painful.

Reactions: Sid