Stubbed Toe

wswhiting

Barefooters
Nov 29, 2010
Most of my barefoot running up to this point since the mid 70s has been running on the beach or doing speed work on a golf course. I have noticed (especially on the beach) that I tend to drag my left big toe. This is not a big deal when running on the beach as it felt mostly like a sprain and then went quickly away. However, on cement of asphalt it has resulted in stubbing the underside of the big toe right in front of the nail and taking a good chunk of skin off. It healed only to repeat the same injury one week later.

I have read Sandler's book and Barefoot Ken Bob's book on form. On my last few runs I have really tried to concentrate on landing on my forefoot and have avoided any stubbing, but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and can tell me what I might be doing. I am up to 2-4 miles on asphalt/cement, carrying my shoes, and finishing either an 8 mile or 6 mile run in Merrell Trail Glove shoes.

Thanks for any help!

I've stubbed my toe twice in

I've stubbed my toe twice in over 2-1/2 years. Hopefully, it's just a stretch of bad luck for you and not a permanent problem. Don't jinx yourself by thinking it's going to happen again and again. Let's hope it was just a momentary lapse of judgement in proprioception .

Could be a body alignment

Could be a body alignment compensation. I have a minor leg length issue and I often stumble when I forget. Most times I can breeze along unaware, but I do stub toes – even when walking. So far I have avoided doing it when running, but I am always mentally repeating the mantra of LIFT! to avoid pushing off so I think I am getting good clearance.

John

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test