Stressed or not

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Isn't it funny how your perception of yourself is actually different to the reality of yourself.
    I never thought of myself as stressed and that I could work any stresses out by running them away. That may not always be the case though.
    There is an analogy, not sure if it Australian or not that goes " its like a duck floating serenely on the water but the legs are paddling like fury underneath" I think maybe that describes me.
    I'm getting towards the end of a house build and that has coincided with work project pressures and together this must have lowered my immune system.
    At work a week or so ago I noticed what I thought was a chemical taste to the filtered water I drink during the day. Later in the day I developed a headache behind the right ear that was pretty painful which I put down to the concentration on the computer work I was doing.
    I got home had a couple of pain killers then went to bed.
    I still had the headache the next day when I went into work again. I lasted around 1.5 hours before I called it quits for the day not feeling good. Booked in to see the doctor later that afternoon.
    He diagnosed a virus that had caused some swelling or irritation in the nerves that control the facial expressions on the right hand side. It felt like I had some numbing injections at the dentist.
    He said it can strike if you are stressed, I said that I didn't think I was, my blood pressure told a different story, it was in the high band.
    Luckily I have plenty of sick time to use at work to allow myself to recover. I now have to work on learning to relax. The symptoms can last for several weeks so I have a few weeks to meditate on.
    I had a barefoot run this morning with fellow barefooter David, we did 8km of a sunny but chilly Sunday morning. The air temperature was around 10C with a strong breeze giving a headwind on the way home. As at the moment I have lost the ability to blink in the right eye, and draft or breeze causes much irritation, eye watering and pain.
    Hopefully I will be in fighting form in a couple of weeks just in time to get over the worst of the winter weather.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. skedaddle

skedaddle
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

I had the same sort of palsy in my left eyelid, it just wouldn't open, which was most disconcerting. I could also smell things that weren't there. Everything just got gradually better over a few weeks or so.
    As far as the stress goes, you're certainly not alone. I think most folk suffer from 'duck leg syndrome' in this crazy, mixed up world, but that doesn't make you quackers. It's just you're minds way of saying you need some rest and pampering, a perfectly natural response.:)

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  3. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

I'm just getting over a 2-month bout of shingles (constant headaches, sciatica, burning rash, etc.) If you've had chicken pox as a child (no vaccine long ago) then 40 or more years later, you can have an outbreak of shingles. Shingles' main trigger is stress. Looking back, I can see I was in stress. Sometimes while you're in the throes of it, you can't always tell.

Sounds like you've been going through a lot lately, Neil. Hoping you can settle down soon.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi TJ my first thought was it may be shingles as I had chicken pox when I was younger. I say first though but that's not true, first thought was stroke, but that was discounted fairly quickly as I did all the standard checks and passed them.
    Hi Skedaddle, I really wonder what benefits we have not that we seem to be a 24/7 society. Things were much more relaxed 20 years ago and society was much more equal. Now that all forms of businesses are in private hands it seems like we are running faster and faster on the hamster wheel just to keep up. Something is going to break soon.
    Neil

5. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Bloody Hell Neil!! Hope you get some decent rest enforced or otherwise!
    xxx

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Barefoot TJ likes this.
  6. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Yes, I know. I think I have too much on the go sometimes. Others have said I don't know what the word relax means. It must be something I inherited from my mum who was always rushing around. I need to work out how to chill the mind.

Neil

7. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I'll be hitting week 2 by Wednesday so I'll monitor for improvements. The nerve pain in the face has subsided. AT night I couldn't place the right side of my face on the pillow as it was too sore, that is fine now. Just waiting for the motor responses to start working again.

Neil

Jaqa likes this.
  8. Tedlet

Tedlet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

That sounds scary Neil!
    I hope you recover well -and if some gentle BF runs help along the way to enable you to switch off & relax then so much the better..

I do sometimes think that for a species that is supposedly the most 'intelligent' on the planet we are also the most screwed up!
    Take it easy...:)

9. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Thanks Tedlet,
    I make my big move into a new house on Wednesday, the first big move in 25 years so I guess that was what caused the stress buildup.
    The seas should start to calm in the months ahead.

Neil

10. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Neil_D - that sound's like Bell's Palsy - http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/bells-palsy-topic-overview

I've had it a few times due to a couple inner-ear infections. Thankfully, it's something that's readily treatable if it's doesn't go away on it's own.

And I can relate to the Stress - been trying to get the half-dozen plus remodeling projects finished so we can relocate for my work (doing the majority of the work ourselves so we don't end up owing money on the house...), while trying to work 50-60+hr weeks for the past year...

Running has been a great help for me to manage that stress.