Straightened my bunions

Discussion in 'Health, Nutrition, Injuries & Medical Conditions' started by Sid, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I posted the following in another thread, and TJ asked me to post it here as well.
    http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/index.php?posts/147995

2. peter.robinson

peter.robinson
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Hi Sid, thanks for writing that up. My younger daughter has bunions developing and I will get her to try some splints. What type of splints did you use?
    There seems to be a large variety ranging from soft straps, through to articulated devices.

3. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000KI24TW

I'd have to say that this 3 year endeavor involved a lot of trial and error. For me, it seems that ultimately strengthening the muscles was key. However, I couldn't engage abductor hallucis until the toe was mostly straight from splinting, spacing, stretching, and massaging.

Also, in the beginning, I couldn't tolerate having the splints on all night.

peter.robinson likes this.
  4. peter.robinson

peter.robinson
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

Thanks Sid, that's much the same as one I was looking at here. I'll get her started with exercises and order something to help.

Bare Lee and Sid like this.
  5. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I should clarify, that in general, my exercises were mostly isometric, trying to keep the big toe abducted for as long as possible throughout the day. Sort of like trying to maintain good posture at all times.

peter.robinson likes this.
  6. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

I found that the blue strap tended to bite into my skin, so I folded a paper towel over it several times, which helped immensely.
    I have them adjusted for a gentle stretch, so I can sleep through the night. Having them too tight would to cut off my circulation.

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  7. zapmamak

zapmamak
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. California...

I also have a bunion and cant use the yoga toes because my feet are too small. When it gets painful I use leukotape to pull the big toe back into place (there are somegood videos on youtube that show how to tape a bunion for correction. The nice thing about Leukotape is that it is pretty stiff and waterproof. I sometimes use it to prevent hotspots while running and used it to tape my bunion on my hundred miler which didnt give me any problems at all. I too have noticed my bunion seems to bother me less the more I go barefoot and train barefoot. Strengthening the foot has really helped since I used to be a serious pronator.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Barefoot TJ and Sid like this.
  8. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

9. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

The video makes me wonder if cutting off the toes of my work socks helped. My toes are certainly able to grip the inside of the shoe better, possibly allowing the 1st met to anchor better.

Also, I've noticed that as the bunion improved that my big toe is straighter and able to lay flat on the ground.

Whereas before I had a callous on the side of the big toe, it's not as bad now. The pad of the big toe used to be baby soft, but now it's better conditoned. I think that as the bunion formed, my toe rotated. (Such as what happens when I outstretch my fingers and take the tip of the ring finger and push it towards my thumb. The ring finger rotates.) As my bunion straightened out, the toe has rotated back to the normal position.

10. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

As my left bunion continues to improve, I've noticed that I've increased the range of motion. I'm able to bend the toe dorsally, about as much as I can on the right foot, now.

I used to have a dorsal bone spur, but I can tell that it's also improved. There's no longer a painful ridge of bone along the dorsal edge of the joint. [​IMG] (not my x-ray)

I'd read about the process of bone reabsorption, but was never sure how long the process would take or if it would occur at all for me. I'd say that ridge was quite painful only a year ago, and has improved over the last 6-9 months. The range of motion has improved over the last month, as I've continued to work with strengthening and flexibility. I think it's pretty amazing how much progress I've made through straightening, strengthening, and improving flexibility.

migangelo likes this.
  11. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Interesting information on bunions from The Gait Guys.

The Origin of Bunions

Bunions
    Curse of the Bunion

12. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

paulbeales likes this.
  13. Sid

Sid
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Probably going to be the final update. RIght foot is essentially bunion free. Left foot is 85% better.

Using the methods above, my toe spacing had improved. It was only after we got a used gym model treadmill for the home, that I realized that my feet still needed strengthening and improving flexibility. This wasn't apparent until I took a break from running, and used the treadmill for walking. Treadmills are exceptionally demanding for barefooters, as every step is the same. Eventually, I was walking 5 miles daily for about 3 months. The treadmill also forced me to improve my form, as the belt was quite abrasive (even more so than pavement). All the walking strengthened the muscles of the big toes, which also help to keep the toes straight.

While on the treadmill, I tried to make sure that I was engaging the big toes.
    https://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/engaging-the-big-toes.17853/

Completely pain free now. Walking and running feel great. There's still a bit more work to be done. My right side feels essentially normal, so it's a bit more dominant. I'm working on my left side to bring it into balance. Fortunately, the hard part is done.

#13 Sid, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Barefoot TJ likes this.