Still struggling with form ...

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Barefoot YOW, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

I ran in Gatineau Park, Quebec on Saturday. The 16km route had about +/- 450m (1500 ft) of elevation. I found myself still struggling to handle the downhills. I found that I had to slow down quite a lot to prevent heal strike. It feels like I'm still at a loss as to best handle going downhill.

From what I have read, I should be increasing the cadence, bending my knees more, and relaxing. It just does not seem to be registering with my body. I want gravity to do the work.

Any suggestions from the group?

2. Barefoot Mary

Barefoot Mary Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Florida -...
    3. Colorado

We have a lot of hills here

We have a lot of hills here in Colorado, and I'm (finally finally finally!!) starting to enjoy them. I find it gets easier when you lean your body back a bit, leading with the mid-foot and hips. Turnover gets crazy going downhill...My cadence must be 200+ a minute. Try to take more steps than is comfortable (think: Cartoon character!) and then scale back as nesseccary.

Go slow and be careful out there,

_M.

3. inbetweenmytoes

inbetweenmytoes Barefooters
    1. Canada

I've used Jason Robillard's

I've used Jason Robillard's slalom technique with some success when the hills get really steep. Mostly I 'rag doll' it, keep as loose as possible.

4. Kittyk

Kittyk Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. Georgia
    3. Indiana

There are a couple of ways

There are a couple of ways to do this, I think it depends on the gradient.

Firstly, on lower gradients. I find skipping works. A very fast skip down will usually get a higher cadence to get you down. This should prevent heel-strike and give you some element of control.

On larger gradients, a "side-2-side" approach works. You effectively go cross-ways down the trail. This keeps the gradient lower and helps the pressure off the knees. I have tried this on high gradient downhills and it works surprisingly well.

5. Barefoot YOW

Barefoot YOW Barefooters
    1. Canada
    2. International

Right - Run like the

Right - Run like the roadrunner and head down the hill like I'm skiing.

I have been using the slalom technique for trails. Staying loose is something I need to work at.

I thought that I should lean forward, as leaning back may lead to heal strike?

Thanks for the advice all .. :)