Steel Cut Oats?

Why guess?
View your coronary arteries with a $300 scan.

As far as the rolled vs steel cut debate, I prefer steel cut simply for the flavor aspect. If you don't want to pre-cook, mete out portions and such for the week (yes, i am lazy; thanks for noticing), Trader Joe's has really good frozen steel cut oats. It's in a single serving puck you pop in the micronukingmachine for a couple minutes and then shove in your piehole. It tastes great and is a time saver.

Although, I am apt to try the cook a week's worth on Sunday and refrigerate for the week. I'm cheaper than I am lazy.

Reactions: NickW
Why guess?
View your coronary arteries with a $300 scan.

When I go to get retested in 6 mos, if things aren't better, I'll chat w/the doc about that. I mean, I'm only 40 - I could not have done that much damage yet....then again, maybe I have...I know where I've been...

As far as the rolled vs steel cut debate, I prefer steel cut simply for the flavor aspect. If you don't want to pre-cook, mete out portions and such for the week (yes, i am lazy; thanks for noticing), Trader Joe's has really good frozen steel cut oats. It's in a single serving puck you pop in the micronukingmachine for a couple minutes and then shove in your piehole. It tastes great and is a time saver.

Although, I am apt to try the cook a week's worth on Sunday and refrigerate for the week. I'm cheaper than I am lazy.

Ya know I was at Trapper Joes buying steel cut oats and apple juice about an hour ago...never thought to look at piehole-ready oatmeal. Regardless, the plan is to do what you and others mentioned which is make up a batch and freeze daily portions of it and nuke as needed...

Reactions: Lomad
Steel cut, diamond cut, laser cut, oats are oats.
If your genetics are such that your coronary arteries require deposits of cholesterol plaques to become calcified in an attempt to repair the damaged vessel's walls your body will provide the ingredients whether you live on bacon double cheeseburgers or soy milk & oats.
As mentioned in previous posts, people who truly abuse their bodies CAN suffer from hypertension, coronary artery disease, and diabetes as a result, but relatively fit people with reasonable dietary habits that have bad numbers or test results despite their best efforts at a healthy lifestyle tend to only improve their long term lot through the use of meds that interfere with the process.
Splitting hairs among soluble fibres is no different than micro managing elastomeric roll bars incorporated into motion controlling boat anchors.

Reactions: Sid and Gidds
Splitting hairs among soluble fibres is no different than micro managing elastomeric roll bars incorporated into motion controlling boat anchors.

Waitaminute - now you're telling me that the elastomeric roll bar management system I just bought from West Marine is garbage? No wonder why the receipt said "No Givesis-Backsies" Dammit, this is turning into one helluva day...

Reactions: NickW
Boat anchors purchased from West Marine are useful, ESPECIALLY in a strong current.
The size 5 thru 12's commonly found at the LRS not so much.

I was into steel cut oats for a while. I think I found a cooking method that involved, right before bed, bringing a pan of them to a boil, then turning off the stove and putting on a lid and just letting them cool down (and cook) overnight. It was quite convenient.

This intrigues me enough I wish I had some in the house right now. They sound delicious.

I was into steel cut oats for a while. I think I found a cooking method that involved, right before bed, bringing a pan of them to a boil, then turning off the stove and putting on a lid and just letting them cool down (and cook) overnight. It was quite convenient.

This intrigues me enough I wish I had some in the house right now. They sound delicious.

Wow - great minds must think alike. I literally just did this about 1/2 hour ago (got the idea from the oats container). Basically, brought 4 cups of apple juice to a boil and added 1 cup of oats - now they're covered and soaking. Will whack it up into four servings tomorrow morning...

I've tried the slow cooked steel cut, but didn't like the prep involved and gave them away.
I gave these quick cook ones a try. They cook in about a minute. I like that they're freshly heated, too. Taste was similar, if not same as slow cooked.
www.amazon.com/dp/B003DMVFHY/

Then, I remembered that I don't like oatmeal so I gave them away, too.

Thanks for the link. But my question is: Who is the faceless receiver of unwanted oats and what do the think of you as a person?

Coworkers and family who were pleased to have them. Even though I'm picky, other people are less so. Plus, I don't have cholesterol problems. Perhaps, they do.

Very good. From here on out, you shall be known as St. Sid, Patron Saint of Unwanted Oats.

Reactions: scedastic and Sid
A quick follow-up: I bought some steel cut oats yesterday. I'd found a suggestion online to soak them in milk - no cooking needed - overnight. I put some in milk in a tupperware container last night and put them in the fridge. This morning = awesome. Soft but chewy.

If you're watching carbs you might be a little careful: A *dry* 1/2C of steel cut oats has 58g of carbs. I'm not sure what the expansion rate is when they absorb liquid. (i.e. how "large" does 1/4C of dry steel cut become after it has absorbed whatever liquid)

Jim

I ate oats in the morning for years. I rarely eat them regularly, now, because as I developed better eating habits, I noticed that they really messed with my blood sugar and I eventually realized it's because they are so high in carbohydrates.

I ate oats in the morning for years. I rarely eat them regularly, now, because as I developed better eating habits, I noticed that they really messed with my blood sugar and I eventually realized it's because they are so high in carbohydrates.
I think this is why I can't eat cereal for breakfast. It really messes with my blood sugar bad and I get dizzy and shaky and weak. I have no idea about the carbs, I'm not one to really count them so I really have no clue.

Thank you! I get the kind of hungry where my desk starts looking tempting if I have porridge for breakfast, yet everything I've ever read goes on about how slow release they are & how well they fill you up, glad to know it's not just me!

relatively fit people with reasonable dietary habits that have bad numbers or test results despite their best efforts at a healthy lifestyle tend to only improve their long term lot through the use of meds that interfere with the process.
Not sure if this statement is implying that pharmaceuticals are the only way to lower lipids. It seems that the addition of oats to an otherwise reasonable diet really can improve the lipid profile.

"Beta-glucan increases the excretion of bile from the gall bladder into the small intestine. This, in turn, stimulates the body to produce more bile -- pulling cholesterol out of the blood to do so."

That being said, those with unfavorable genetic conditions might not fair as well with natural remedies. Then again, it's in the best interest of the pharmaceutical industry to tout their pills and downplay any side effects and alternative remedies.

I was trying to figure out if people routinely eat some form of protein with their oats and if that would help with balancing out the carb absorption. I know a lady at work who has the oats with a protein shake on the side.

Okay, silly me. I just remembered that I have a protein bar that I usually eat, Wholly Oats. (It slipped my mind, as I've been running low and was trying to use up another bar that I had boxes and boxes of.) One oat/protein bar is usually enough to keep me going for a while in the morning. I like it because there's no prep involved. I can't say if it's doing anything for my cholesterol at all. I just like the taste and it fills me up for a while.

What I was meaning to say is this:
Someone who has developed high blood pressure because they eat too much sodium and/or are overweight or sedentary has a good shot at improving their numbers and health by altering their diet and lifestyle.
But a person with a normal body mass index, reasonable exercise habits, and fairly decent dietary habits that finds their blood pressure inching up slowly PROBABLY will not reverse the process by doing even better yet. Usually only meds will change things. Same holds true for blood lipids etc. with regard to saturated fat intake and exercise in the person who has not abused their body to all that great a degree.
Most of my friends are around 60 years of age, and the ones who exercise and eat right have about the same rate of "bad" numbers and med use as those that have bellies and sit all day.
My doctors concur, I'm their poster boy for testing and med use among the "fit".

Reactions: NickW and Sid

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS