Starting a new diet

It wasn't just the weekend that was tough though, it was every waking moment, in my wifes case even when sleeping it was difficult because she would wake up in the middle of the night just starving.
Live and learn. Sounds like you'll figure out what's right for your body!

Nuts are good in theory and work for lots of people. It just happens to be something that I'll occasionally go cookie monster on. When I find one of my danger foods, I'll give it away or throw it out. If I really want it, I can drive 5 minutes to the store. Cookie monster doesn't show up for veggies, fruit, meat, and protein bars.

When I get the munchies at night, I go for protein like slices of low fat turkey. Then I'll top off with lots of veggies. Maybe a snack before bed. I eat a fair amount at night, so I don't go to bed hungry. I'm able to do this, because I can manage with around 600 cals until dinner time. Weekends are harder, because I don't have the distractions and structure from work. That's just what works for me, and I'm still making minor tweaks. Good luck!

Reactions: Bare Lee
I can't just eat a small handful of nuts. That just seems to make me hungrier because then I have a craving for nuts.
Yeah, same here. Nuts, nuts, then more nuts. Unless it's raw walnuts, then it's why bother with something so boring?

On the other hand, I know a guy at work, who has had the same jar of Costco almonds for months. Apparently, he really does just have a few a day.

I guess we all have our weak spots. Trial and error is key!

I can't just eat a small handful of nuts. That just seems to make me hungrier because then I have a craving for nuts. (Not in the way your thinking either Jen so don't go there)

The Dirty Twist!!! Muah-ha-ha-haaa!!!

Reactions: Alejandro 10
Yeah, same here. Nuts, nuts, then more nuts. Unless it's raw walnuts, then it's why bother with something so boring?

On the other hand, I know a guy at work, who has had the same jar of Costco almonds for months. Apparently, he really does just have a few a day.

I guess we all have our weak spots. Trial and error is key!
I have such a weakness for nuts that I will literally make myself sick because I eat way too many. Huge weakness for me. My wife gets very afraid whenever I buy nuts because she knows how I am. She will actually hide the nuts from me if they make it past one sitting with me. I have this same weakness with chips and salsa and popcorn. All things I can't buy unless I buy only small single servings.

I have such a weakness for nuts that I will literally make myself sick because I eat way too many. Huge weakness for me. My wife gets very afraid whenever I buy nuts because she knows how I am. She will actually hide the nuts from me if they make it past one sitting with me. I have this same weakness with chips and salsa and popcorn. All things I can't buy unless I buy only small single servings.

Freud would love you!!!

One thing you could do is start eating things that don't taste very good.

Once you have eating bad-tasting food for a long time, you might forget what other food tastes like, then the bad-tasting food will be all you know about and you won't want to eat as much.

Did someone say nuts? My wife bought the Costco cashews and it didn't last a week. Bad, Bad, Bad. No self control. I do much better with shelled peanuts and almonds. You eat fewer if you have to work at it.

Seeds work for me. I eat about every kind of seed possible. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are about ready out of the garden. They are high in fat, but a small handful goes a long way.

Now if Kozz is referring to healthy food tasting bad, I don't find that to be the case. The only veggies I won't eat are turnips. I've even grown fond of brussel sprouts if prepared right.

kozz,

nick and everyone here already eats bad tasting food. it's called the american diet. doh! add drum symbols.

Reactions: rickwhitelaw
Rick, I sit there even with nuts with the shell on and just plow away until I'm getting yelled at by the wifey for eating way too much. I just don't seem to have that internal stop that tells me I need to stop. I have also been banned from the costco nuts because I can go through a thing of their cashews in a day or two. Let me tell you, that actually makes you sick, in multiple ways. Not fun and I do not recommend anyone do it. You would think I would learn but I just never seem to...

kozz,

nick and everyone here already eats bad tasting food. it's called the american diet. doh! add drum symbols.
Not sure what food you're thinking I eat that tastes bad, because I really don't eat much that tastes bad. Now, if you meant unhealthy and processed, you got me, but it tastes great. :D

I really, really like the concept of rowing, since it works the whole body. Though, my body just gets bored with the repetitive motion. Same thing with stationary bikes. Though, I find running and stairmaster somewhat meditative. There's something for everyone!
Rowing on a machine is extremely boring. I took it up last fall while I was working through my top-of-the-foot-pain, and surprised myself that I was able to row fairly religiously, three times a week, 30 minutes each time, after my weights, and I even kept track of my supposed distances for each row. I had always hated any kind of aerobic exercise indoors.

But now that I'm able to run longer and at greater intensities, I don't feel the same need to do an aerobic exercise on my non-running days, that is my strength-training days. I'm also doing slightly longer strength-training sessions, trying to make a bit of a push with my deadlifts, benches, and military presses, now that my left shoulder has felt 100% for several months, and also adding in more 'core' stuff and non-weight exercises and stretching. So nowadays I only row once or twice a week, sometimes just 5-10 minutes to either warm-up before the weights or at high intensity after them, for a final blast. I can take 5-10 minutes of mental agony, especially if I'm going all out. I've thought about selling the thing, but it is a good overall exercise, a nice complement to running, and I can always listen to my field recordings. If I lived in a pleasant rural area I would probably do more cycling though, cause rowing really is really, really boring.

Just coming on this forum, sharing ideas, learning from others' experiences, all helps to keep my head in the game. Keeping it at the forefront of my mind, prevents me from slacking off. I don't know a lot of people who are into fitness, and I don't belong to a gym. So, I find this place very helpful.

Yah, I exercise alone too, so this place is my equivalent of gym-talk.

Reactions: Sid
It wasn't just the weekend that was tough though, it was every waking moment, in my wifes case even when sleeping it was difficult because she would wake up in the middle of the night just starving. If we both hadn't been starving the whole time we wouldn't have binged 3 days straight. All the weight I lost prior to the binge came right back. If I feel that hungry all the time there is no way I can stay on a "diet".
I posted this in another thread, but I find that protein helps me break a carb binge. If I'm doing strength training, I'll have a protein shake (with carbs) about 1 hour before, and chug a glass of organic grape juice right before. If I'm doing moderate intensity cardio, I usually have a carb-free protein shake.

I've noticed protein helps me just in general to feel full, or at least not hungry. I can go my longest without food after consuming a protein shake (carb free).

Came to this thread kinda late, but thought I would throw you a suggestion. I found a lot of
general guidance on nutrition from this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/

I wandered onto his site once and some of his videos are really funny, over time I watched more
and more of them... Now, I'm not really into bodybuilding AT ALL, and I've not taken anything
there 'whole hog' as it were, but he has a really honest no-nonsense approach to nutrition and
his humor may let some of it sink in... Go check it out!

LOL, maybe we can get Scooby to do some barefoot running? :)

I've noticed protein helps me just in general to feel full, or at least not hungry. I can go my longest without food after consuming a protein shake (carb free).
Proteins are more complex than carbs so it takes longer to digest them, which may be at least part of the reason it takes longer to feel hungry after eating them. I also read that you should eat proteins first so that your gut can first mobilize all the enzymes it needs for this more complicated task, and then eat your veggies or fruits or, god forbid, your starchy carbs.

Nick, how the diet coming?

I incidentally discovered that munching on a small bag of low salt pretzels, a few at a time, keeps me from having the ketotic headaches (carb flu) while dieting. I bring them to work, where I have less chance of gobbling them in one sitting. I still have the protein bars, too, during the day.

god forbid, your starchy carbs.
I don't know that starchy carbs are all that bad. They might be helpful the day before a long run. Don't the Jamaican runners talk about their yams? Food is fuel. Doesn't seem to be a problem unless one doesn't burn it off, and then it goes to the spare tire or in the boot.

I don't know that starchy carbs are all that bad. They might be helpful the day before a long run. Don't the Jamaican runners talk about their yams? Food is fuel. Doesn't seem to be a problem unless one doesn't burn it off, and then it goes to the spare tire or in the boot.
Mostly facetious there Sid, although I have been following the Paleo recommendation to avoid grains. I love my yams/sweet potatoes, especially the skins--just had some last night with my steak. I don't necessarily believe that our digestive system can't take grains, but I seem to feel a bit better without them. I certainly fart a lot less.

Reactions: migangelo

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test