Starchy Foods

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CharlieGreen, Jul 4, 2019.

1. CharlieGreen

CharlieGreen
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Starchy foods for running.
    Do you believe eating a lot of starchy foods like corn, potatoes and rice is good for your joints and running?
    The Tarahumara Indians who run long distance main food is corn and potatoes.
    This doctor swears by starch

What foods do you think are best for running?

2. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

And MICE! :jaw drop::(:sour::vomit:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    CharlieGreen likes this.
  3. Gordon

Gordon
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Anyone who tells you that they know the best diet for everyone is full of crap. A quick glance around the internet produces all sorts of reasonable looking "proof" that very different diets are best. We're talking the gamut from fruititarian(almost all sugary carbs), raw vegan, vegan, a half dozen different sorts of vegetarian, through the more balanced diets, and on to high-meat paleo, all-meat paleo, and keto(almost all fat). They can't all be best. Extreme diets are risky. The farther you get from eating a wide variety of unprocessed whole foods in moderation, the smaller the number of people who can thrive on that particular diet. Unless you have good evidence that you're a special snowflake, I'd be very wary.

Edit to add: Read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It's worthwhile.

#3 Gordon, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    BareFootHeath likes this.
  4. CharlieGreen

CharlieGreen
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

The mice doesn't have the growth hormones and antibiotics that the cows and chickens we eat have, so eating the mice is healthier. That is another reason I try to limit my meat intake because of the hormones and antibiotic, I can't afford to buy organic meat, organic food here in South Africa is extremely expensive.

5. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    1. Test Chapter
    2. Nomad
    3. Hidden...
    4. Hidden...

Just please don't start eating mice.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    CharlieGreen likes this.
  6. CharlieGreen

CharlieGreen
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Lol! No I won't. I want to start eating more rice, potatoes and fruit and veg in general and cut down on dairy and chicken.

My cousin a stainless steel rep here in Cape Town, South Africa has been to the chicken farms(factory farms) here and he says they pump those chickens full of growth hormones.

7. flammee

flammee
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Well, since eating rice, pasta or potatoes seem always cause some problems or are bit too much fuss to prepare, I have been looking for carbs that work better. Corn porridge seems to do just that. Corn flour + milk and microwave that, not too much fuss with cooking, works well with protein foods and plants and no stomach issues whatsoever. Taste is not great, but quite eatable anyways.:hungry:

CharlieGreen likes this.
  8. CharlieGreen

CharlieGreen
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Corn porridge here is called mielie meal, mielie is Afrikaans for maize. Maize is the stable in South Africa and Africa for the poor i.e the majority of the people.

Mielie meal started becoming more popular with the middle class. Some of the middle class here eat mielie meal(corn porridge) made in the microwave like bread to have with their braai(barbeque) meat.

I use to eat quiet a lot of mielie meal(corn porridge) but cut back now because I want to limit my dairy and mielie meal(corn porridge) doesn't taste the same with water.

A lot of the poor people here look healthier than the middle class here because the poor here are eating mielie meal(corn porridge), rice with some fruit and veg, bread and only little chicken while the middle class here are eating too much junk food(Mc Donalds etc).

#8 CharlieGreen, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  9. CharlieGreen

CharlieGreen
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Dr Campbell and his team research with their Chinese counterparts showed that when the Chinese people salaries increased and they started eating more red meat their rate of cancer went up.