Squat for lengthening the Achilles, PF, and calf muscles for better barefoot running (with video)

Squat for lengthening the Achilles, PF, and calf muscles for better barefoot running (with video)
By Angela Hotz, a.k.a. Barefoot Angie Bee

This is a movement that can be done any time of day. Its how you see people hanging out waiting for a bus or eating a bowl of something yummy in another country. Here in the US we don't ever squat. We sit and get all tight and shortened up. The squat will lengthen the Achilles, Plantar Fascia, and calf muscles.

My spawn can sit like this all day. When they are doing something they are often found squatting atop a chair instead of sitting. We should take notes from the way they move!

Summer time is the perfect time to kick off those high heels, running shoes included, and experience the ground barefoot and lengthen and strengthen.

Some tips for the squat-
~Its fine to bounce at the bottom.
~A 7-10 degree turnout is fine.
~Keep legs about shoulder width apart.
~The key is to keep your weight over the ball of your foot towards your big toe and first metatarsal and not lean back on your heels.
~It's not as easy as it looks and took some time to get to this, so be patient and keep at it. It is really common to not be able to get your heel down so don't get discouraged. I couldn't do it at first either.
~ Booty shorts not required but appreciated by the husband.

Check out some of the other moves I learned from Lee Saxby in my Coaching course!
Here is a post with some photos from a coaching session I did. We did lots of squats to look this good!

How to squat video for Achilles, PF, and Calf health

Do you wear high heels? Not just stilettos for work but any kind of raised heel shoes, this goes for men too. Are you a runner that runs in conventional thick padded shoes? Did you start running barefoot and do too much too soon?​
We don't squat much in the states. The "campfire squat" or the "sitting squat" are done rarely and instead we sit in chairs. This video is about how and why to squat. You lower legs will appreciate it!​

Here is my Previous post on squatting.​

Kids haven't learned bad habits and haven't developed tight legs yet, so take cues from them. When you bend down to play or hug, squat instead.​

Follow my tweets @BarefootAngieB and say Hello!​
See my pics on instagram
Join the chat on Facebook
Cheers,​
Angie Bee​

I am a Bradley Childbirth teacher, artist, blogger, mother to four boy spawn, one of whom has autism, freelance writer, gardener, SciFi Geek, gear and stuff reviewer, aspiring beekeeper, and yogi.
View all 2 featured items
Funny, but while I was over in Afghanistan they all do this very squat. It was very weird for me as an American to see and try to do. By the end of my year there I was quite good at it and could do it for a long time without my legs going numb. Unfortunately being back in the States I am back to sitting in chairs and have tightened right up. May be time for me to get back to doing these again.

i can already squat like that but don't do it often. i don't own booty shorts or have a husband. so if i get the shorts do they come with a husband? i would prefer a woman otherwise i'll do without either but will try the squats more often.

By Angela Hotz, a.k.a. Barefoot Angie Bee

Actually, this is how we should bend over and do stuff. Somehow, this is lost since we do this naturally when we are little. I have trained myself to do this since it is much easier on the back and legs than bending over and will prevent lower back injuries.

Whether this stretch is necessary to stretching structures such as the calves and such brings up the discussion of stretching and if stretching has any benefit whatsoever. An article by Ian Shrier MD in 2002 that was featured in physician and sports medicine finds that stretching does little to prevent sports injuries and has a benefit of about 60 minutes if that can be considered a benefit. Perhaps, stretching cannot work because we must understand what we are stretching and why. If the myofascia is tight and inhibiting muscular function, since fascia is not stretchable in the way most of us believe (disorganized bunching of fascia will inhibit movement and affect firing patterns, causing more tightened fascia from recruitment in other parts of the body), stretching really cannot work. Stretching is still fashionable among its die hard fans however, foam rollers can actually release fascia although non specifically since most people cannot be totally objective about what they are feeling.

A number of techniques can help remold fascia, which improves firing patterns, which reduces tightness. With this in mind, perhaps we need to redirect the thought process of this conversation to one of why I am I tight or tightening rather than what do I do about the tightness. This comes back to the idea of firing patterns and the way muscles work in combination with the fascial system and your body style.

Since body style is also a determinant of how fascia forms and functions, sometimes we need to Cheat Mother Nature (incidentally, the title of my book) by doing something that creates mechanical advantage in the body so the fascia is less likely to tighten inappropriately. This is why some people need alittle help and are not ideal as barefoot or shod runners. On the other hand, sometimes, the help of an insert in the shoe (orthotic), even in a minimalist shoe can make a huge difference in running style, efficiency and reduce injuries and ankle problems such as weakness.

I can just do this flat-footed like Angie, but now I'm gonna make it a habit, tyvm :)

I know it's one of the natural positions for humans. We're made to stand and squat, and lie down. And that's about it. Chairs and sofas are like like shoes for the entire spine.

Anecdote: In 1999, I went to German classes here full-time for six months. The course was actually intended for Russian immigrants, so it was basically me and 22 Russians (three or four families, from Grandparents to Grandchildren and everything in between. We did a lot of partying and drove a few teachers batty, but didn't learn all that much German). At break time, the women would hang around in the classroom or kitchen, and the men would go outside to smoke and shoot the breeze. And they always did it squatting in a circle. It's a cultural thing.

German women, otoh, make me cringe when I see them pruning and preening their gardens. Bent over in the middle with straight legs, locked knees ... and then they b!tch and moan about back pain, duh.

I actually know a method for developing this. Just strart with the legs further apart and the feet turned outward. How far apart and how far inward will vary but the idea is to (eventually) get the feet parallel and closer together, without losing balance and falling on your third point of contact.

Oh, wait, I'm such a ditz sometimes. Angie has her feet turned outward and legs spread. That's the beginner pose, Angie! ;)

Angie, you say you sould keep your weight on the balls of your feet and your big toe? Doesn't that automatically shorten the stretch for the Achilles? I've recently started doing CrossFit and we do a LOT of squats. Every trainer will tell you to keep your weight back on your heels, though, especially when standing up again. Maybe it's just for weight lifting? We never go all the way down to a relaxed position, either, so I'm sure that's got something to do with it. One of the stretches they recommend is squatting down and then reaching forward with your arms on the inside of your legs to grab your toes. Then try to straighten up your shoulders as much as possible. Good luck doing it the first time without falling over! :p

Reactions: BFwillie_g
i can already squat like that but don't do it often. i don't own booty shorts or have a husband. so if i get the shorts do they come with a husband? i would prefer a woman otherwise i'll do without either but will try the squats more often.
If you're going to do the squats in a loincloth, just don't post any pictures on here please. :eek:

Dr. Charschan:

Can you elaborate on your comment above? Are you saying repeated "practice" with the squat, for someone who can't hold the position on their own right now, generally won't improve their ability to get into and hold that position? Or maybe that needs to be combined with myofascial work in order to enable the body to get into the position?

I've got some issues in my left foot that I think are rooted in tightness. As I've worked on stretching the whole posterior chain it has seemed to improve. And I think I can objectively see that posterior chain flexibility improving. The club where I belong has a stretching machine (maybe this is really a modern-day rack :) that has measurement guide on it and I have greater ROM now than I did 4 weeks ago, following consistent use.

Now I obviously can't prove there is a causal relationship between the increased ROM and reduced pain - but based on my personal routine and pain reduction that seems to have come following use of this machine, I think there is a correlation. And to be honest - I'm having trouble rationalizing that belief given I've read some of the things about the ineffectiveness of stretching.

Thanks.

Jim

Funny, but while I was over in Afghanistan they all do this very squat. It was very weird for me as an American to see and try to do. By the end of my year there I was quite good at it and could do it for a long time without my legs going numb. Unfortunately being back in the States I am back to sitting in chairs and have tightened right up. May be time for me to get back to doing these again.

Definitely time to get back into it! Chairs are great as they make a nice place to sit its just that we sit too much. We got rid of conventional desks in our house and have two standing desks with stools if we get tired of standing. We also have LoveSacs instead of couches. Mostly because we were sick of yelling at the four boys to quit jumping on the couch. That was a loosing battle so the couch had to go!

booty shorts are not mandatory but make squatting more fun. That fun might be a way to open a conversation for a future wife....maybe not but I would think that bringing out the booty shorts to squat in might be better after you are already married... :)

Reactions: migangelo

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts