Sprinting

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I have been trying to incorporate some sprinting into my weekly or biweekly routine. For most of use we just run our familiar courses and our bodies know what to expect and settle down into their conservation of energy mode reluctantly carrying out what our brains instruct it to do.
    I went to a sports field across the road from where I live to do a set of 10 x 150m sprints. The body puts up high resistance to these efforts. It's a real brain body battle.
    After a warmup lap I do a sprint then walk back to the start, do some 'Pose' drills then repeat.
    By the time I've done 5 the body wants to go home. I coax it to do the remaining five by counting down. By the time I've finished the endorphins are helping deliver the high and the legs feel tight. Tomorrow they will be sore but its a soreness I look forward to as it tells me that I have pushed myself further than before. Quality over quantity. When you see your bare feet covering the ground at high speed it is an amazing experience.

Regards

Neil

Larry, Tedlet and Barefoot TJ like this.
  2. Larry

Larry
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Australia

I have a mate who runs semi-professionally (Stawell Gift, that sort of thing) and he took me along for a sprint training session with him a few years ago. It was interesting. Only a few sets of 80-odd metres at full pace, after some warm-ups and 3-quarter efforts. He gave me a couple of tips and I'd have to say I felt wonderful to be going faster than I had in a long time.

I never did it again, but maybe I'll try to incorporate the odd sprint day to break things up.

3. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Larry,

I reckon you should get at least one session of sprinting in a month. Sometimes we get caught up in going for so many km per week for our diary and it seems like if we did some sprinting that we would miss our goal. The sprinting gives you that edge if you are trying to get to the finish line ahead of the other runners and adds a bit of flair.

Cheers

Neil

4. Neil_D

Neil_D
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I got out to the beach today to do some sprints. I had intended to put in a longer run but I changed my mind at the last minute.
    I marked out a 100m+ distance and ran 10 untimed lengths. The sand was a bit uneven so I didn't go at full pace in case I put my foot down a hole.
    After the run I could feel the tightness in the muscles so that means I've stretched them more than usual.
    How long I will be able to keep the running up before the government starts with curfews I don't know. Hopefully as we are usually solo they will leave us alone.

Neil

Barefoot TJ likes this.