Sprint training...to bare or not to bare?

I LOVE SPRINT TRAINING!!!

I LOVE SPRINT TRAINING!!! WOW!! That was so fun! Makes me miss playing indoor soccer!!

We did a mile warm up followed by 3x200 with 200 recovery between each, then 4x300 with 100 walk 200 job recovery between and then 2x200 with 200 recovery after each and a 400 cool down, then core.

I may need to open up my hips a bit more...one of the guys said I could open up my stride some, but I was not over striding. I focused on chest out, lead with the knees, lander under me and don't let my shins go above parallel on the back side. I also concentraited hard on keeping everything going forward...no side to side, kicking out or in and head up.

It was a blast! I found it easier to ramp up over the course of the sprint rather than setting a pace and trying to hold it, so my last 100s were pretty much alway faster than the first part...even saw some low 6m/m "speed". Heart rate hit 190 a few times, but came down surprisingly quick.

All in all, there are worse ways to wake up!!!

As far as the track goes, there were some marbles in the outside 2 lanes, but it was a nice ruber track, I went bare the whole time and may have lost a very small amount of skin in a quarter of a dime size circle on the ball of my left foot, but that's it. No blisters, no pains and it felt reaaaaally good to run that hard! I've missed it!

I'll find some time to do a little hill work next week and post up how it goes. Anyone got a good low incline up and down hill program I can play with?

Thanks for all the responses!

-Jonny

Ok...one question...how do I

Ok...one question...how do I get this black stuff off my feet! haha! Loufa and scrubbing didn't quite do the trick! Maybe the orange garage stuff I use to clean my hands after wrenching on my car??

-Jonny

Jonny00GT wrote:I LOVE

Jonny00GT said:
I LOVE SPRINT TRAINING!!! WOW!! That was so fun! Makes me miss playing indoor soccer!!

We did a mile warm up followed by 3x200 with 200 recovery between each, then 4x300 with 100 walk 200 job recovery between and then 2x200 with 200 recovery after each and a 400 cool down, then core.

I may need to open up my hips a bit more...one of the guys said I could open up my stride some, but I was not over striding. I focused on chest out, lead with the knees, lander under me and don't let my shins go above parallel on the back side. I also concentraited hard on keeping everything going forward...no side to side, kicking out or in and head up.

It was a blast! I found it easier to ramp up over the course of the sprint rather than setting a pace and trying to hold it, so my last 100s were pretty much alway faster than the first part...even saw some low 6m/m "speed". Heart rate hit 190 a few times, but came down surprisingly quick.

All in all, there are worse ways to wake up!!!

As far as the track goes, there were some marbles in the outside 2 lanes, but it was a nice ruber track, I went bare the whole time and may have lost a very small amount of skin in a quarter of a dime size circle on the ball of my left foot, but that's it. No blisters, no pains and it felt reaaaaally good to run that hard! I've missed it!

I'll find some time to do a little hill work next week and post up how it goes. Anyone got a good low incline up and down hill program I can play with?

Thanks for all the responses!

-Jonny

Nice job Jonny! I was going to reply and say just go for it barefoot, and see how it feels. Obviously you know now. It's good to push personal bounderies with barefoot running, because it just gives you more confidence, and helps you realize how much you can really achieve running barefoot.

I use a Scotch-Brite scrubber

I use a Scotch-Brite scrubber and soap. The scrubber is burgundy, not green, so maybe it's industrial? My feet are always so clean and pink looking afterwards.

Glad you enjoyed the speed workout. It would be nice to have some speed training, I guess. I just feel I'm more of a casual runner, stopping to pick up every little caterpillar crossing my path, so it doesn't get squished by the next guy.

TJ and Long, not really

TJ and Long,

not really sure. sorry but i got the book from the library and only had it a couple of weeks while i was in summer school. i was taking a condensed course of physics so i didn't get to study his book like i wanted to. hey at least i passed the course and can now move onto organic chem! yeah me!

what i remember is take off 10 beats for surgery or meds. take off 5 for injuries. add 5 if you've been running injury free for two years. i'm going to be conservative at first and take off 5 beats for my pf and hip imbalance.

i plan to start wholeheartedly next month or so. there is a race tomorrow and possibly more i will do in the next month. LB, this only aerobic base building. you are able to go faster when preparing for racing but to get the best benefit is to do the base building for three or four months of not exceeding your aerobic zone. it will be hard to do at first but you will get more efficient as time goes on. train your body to run off the fat reserves and save the aerobic runs for the last half or however long of your race. glycogen has limited stores and that's what you burn in your anaerobic zone. people running too hard in this are the ones you see crashing or hitting the wall.

now please to ask me to describe more as that's about all i can remember.

Mike

Jonny, good to read the

Jonny, good to read the sprints went well! I think you'll find that as you progress in barefoot running you'll have a lot of doubts like this, we all did and still do. You'll look at a road or a trail or a specific workout and wonder if it's doable barefoot. In most cases the answer will be yes, it may take a bit more conditioning and training but for the most part you'll be fine.

I agree with the initial suggestions of bringing along shoes but only if you give yourself time to really evaluate the situation before putting them on, just as you did with the sprints.

Also, you can get sprints in on a normal road run, I do 400's all the time running around the neighborhood or through town (it helps to have a garmin or other gps devise), it makes for better scenery then at a track. I was doing some 400's in the rain through town last week and I'm surprised no one called the cops on me, a barefoot guy sprinting in the rain through town isn't a normal sight.

Heartrate: The formulas can

Heartrate: The formulas can be very misleading.

As far as I know, the AVERAGE max. Heartrate is 220 bpm minus age. But there is pretty much individual variation. And this means, the formula applies to you only if you´re lucky. The standard values for a certain zone (aerobic e.g.) might be WAY too small or WAY too big for you. Not to speak of all the technical stuff you need to carry and monitor. Everybody who enjoys to monitor the heartrate monitor, speak up!

Form, blisters, etc.:

I tried speedwork last week for the first time since I started bf-running. I used huaraches because I was afraid of blisters.

I realized that my form improved while speeding up. There was almost no vertical movement fo the head, anymore, for example. But beyond a certain speed, it got worse. I could run faster, but the sandals made a lot of flapping-noise then. There would have been blisters, too.

The next run at normal speed was also different. Definitely better! I´m sure playing a little with speed is worth trying. I´m not so sure if this involves any particular heartrate or heartrate-zone, necessarily.

migangelo wrote: hey at least

migangelo said:
hey at least i passed the course and can now move onto organic chem! yeah me!..... train your body to run off the fat reserves and save the aerobic runs for the last half or however long of your race. glycogen has limited stores and that's what you burn in your anaerobic zone.

Who says the Krebs cycle is just a useless exercise in memorization!

Organic will be a challenge (our youngest just started Tuesday) but it is what seperates all the wannabes from the crowd.

Never in my studies did I immerse myself so thoroughly as I did with Organic Chem and lab, but it paid off.

EVEN if it means less running time and only an occasional moment in the forums, it's just a couple of semesters.

I developed a belly in those days, small price to pay.

JosephTree wrote:I'm not so

JosephTree said:
I'm not so sure about the better scenery. I see some of the university women runners at Princeton's track. Fast women!

Bwaaahahaha!!! Sounds like you did a little persistence hunting trying to run you down a doe!

The view was interesting as it was really dark and the field lights were off. I would look up amazed at the stars on my recoveries and they were bright.

My wife and I went and got pedicures. I told them I wanted to keep the skin on the bottom of my feet, but not sure how much english made it through as she scrubbed pretty good with a hash sponge thing till she got all the black off! haha! I may pay for that in my 7-8mile run tomorrow! We'll see!

-Jonny

Oh, yea, let us know.  I'm

Oh, yea, let us know. I'm curious about the pedicure treatment's effect on sin conditioning.

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 11:01 AM

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 11:01 AM GMT
Jonny00GT

Well, I put in 8.4miles, which is a life time PB and PB barefoot, all on pavement.

The pedicure...BAD IDEA!!! I can feel where she wore down the skin on the ball and big toe of my left foot and the heal of my right foot. My form must be pretty on cause I made it all the way with no new damage. I could tell the speed work the day before took it's toll cause my thighs got tired and my right calf did too.

I ran it with my friends in the McKinney Running Club and 2 of the guys did like an impromtu finish for me at the 8mile mark! Love those guys! I know I'm slowing them down, but my buddy Will kept coming back to get me and run me in. He's jumping into the Vibram world, so I will try and get him out to the Clinic next month. He's a really good guy...don't want him getting hurt! We finished in about 1:44 and stopped for water breaks 4 times, so not real fast for some, but pretty quick for me. I was at 1:03min at the 10K mark, which is 3min off my race time on Monday in spite of stopping twice, which I think was because the race course as mostly up hill. The last 3 miles were a bit uphill too.

I'll be out at the Nature Preserve tomorrow for a really slow recovery run to loosten me up.

-Jonny

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 11:29 AM

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 11:29 AM GMT
Barefoot TJ

You're making huge progress, Jonny! I'm so proud of you. You represent us well too. Thanks.

That sucks about the pedicure, but glad you and not me! Ha! I've always wanted to know. Now, I will learn through your lesson and not mine. Thanks for being our guinea pig!

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 5:00 PM

Sat, 09/10/2011 - 5:00 PM GMT
Jonny00GT

The sad thing is, it's not the first time! I've had a pedicure before a run before! Next time I'll google how to say "Don't remove any skin" in Thai! LOL

-Jonny

See Mike, I've heard that

See Mike, I've heard that too, but for me I can't seem to get my hr in those zones that I am supposed to be in. If I walk, I am to low, but if I run at a 15m/m pace I am too high, but if I run at 10m/m pace I am barely higher hr wise than when running at the 15m/m pace. I truly don't completely buy into all of this hr stuff. I typically am around 160-165bpm, which is on the higher side for a lot of people, but am able to carry on a conversation, sing too the music from my ipod. I think it depends on the person and something to do with fast twitch muscles and slow twitch. I was surprised when I got the hrm and found that my hr was so high even though I was running very easily. I can sustain 180bpm very easily over my longer runs and even over the 204 miles when I rode the Seattle to Portland bike race in 2007.

Nick, soon i will get a HR

Nick,

soon i will get a HR monitor and be able to answer any questions better. from what i understand is you have to warm up slowly. as soon as you start running you hr shoots up. it takes a while to where your hr is a bit more even. just like learning to run bf you have to be patient to see the long term benefits. since i'm slow and want to get faster i'm going to do this.

during my run today i thought i was going at an easy pace when i noticed my hr was really high. i had to walk to bring it down and i was on a flat part. i'm going to need a monitor soon as i can't do this by feel, which would be ideal.

Mike

Too bad I didn't know you a

Too bad I didn't know you a week or two ago. A running friend had told me of a Garmin that was for sale that was like a quarter of it's normal price on sale. I will look into it tonight and let you know if it is still on sale or if the sale has ended. Probably ended already but you never know. I really love my Garmin even though the model I have is bulky. I like to have all the different screens on one screen so it's easy access and I don't have to fiddle with it while running.

hiI think I am arriving a

hi

I think I am arriving a little late to this forum, but my experience is this: barefoot running on sprint distances is much harder than long distance running particularly when it comes to blisters, but in my case it has been equally helpful in both cases. In the sprint distances with only taking off my shoes I moved my 100 meters time from 13.56 seconds to 12.9 seconds, it was amazing I felt incredible light and my step was much longer without more effort. This sprint distances I train them in track, some people think the surface is to rough, but it seems fine to me. At the beginning I get terrible blisters in all my fingers and the front part of the foot, but as the time goes by my feet have come stronger and now I eventually get a blister but is not bad at all.

Now in the case of long distances the longest I have run barefoot is 4km with a time of 14:45 in contrast to my time with shoes which was 16:00, so the improvement is huge. In the case of long distance the mayor problem I found when began barefoot running was the big pain on the calf muscles, it was really painful but it disappear slowly with the proper rest after each training season.

Welcome, Juan! Someone

Welcome, Juan!

Someone answer this. At what length does a spring distance no longer become a sprint distance? Hmmmm?

In track it's the 800m.  In

In track it's the 800m. In recent years the 800 has steadily become more commonly known as the 800m sprint. For years it was the 400 but it seems to have expanded by a lap and based on times it's pretty fair to call the 800 a sprint now.

I'd say the average recreational runner wouldn't be able to sprint an 800 though. From my experience in coaching I'd say the recreational runner crosses the sprint distance around 200m. It's just too tough to maintain a sprint much further than that. The reason is they don't train to do so. They are using sprint work as a supplement for the distance ability which is far different than training for sprinting full time.

So for pros I'd say the 800m mark is where sprinting turns into distance and for the rest of us it's around 200m.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test