Spotting other Barefooters

So I dropped my girls off at day care the other day and on the drive back I saw a man and a woman running, both wearing VFFs. I don't know anybody else in the physical world who runs bf or minimal, so my first thought was that I should pull over and introduce myself. But then I thought that might be weird, and I didn't want to disrupt their workouts, so I just kept driving.

Would you find it weird if somebody pulled over to talk to you when you were running? Has this ever happened to you, or have you pulled over?

Reactions: zapmamak
I often comment to other minimalist runners, while I'm out running. I generally ask them about their experience. They usually then ask questions about me running barefoot. Ya gotta get the conversation going and yelling "Hey Freak, what's that on your feet?" does not seem to go over well.

Before all my surgery woes, I always stopped people I saw running barefoot or walking barefoot. At first, for the first three years, where I ran there was no one but me, then finally I started seeing more and more barefooters and even more minshoe runners/walkers. I always had to stop, say hi, sometimes ask to join them on their run. And when I am at races, Mokie and I like to hand out BRS business cards to everyone we see running barefoot or in minshoes. We would see a barefooter running ahead of us, wink at one another, then run up behind them, then flank them and say something silly like, "So, I like your shoes." Hee. Although they were barefoot. They always look down at their feet, then notice we are barefoot too. Ha! I think it's fun to connect with others who like to do what I do (the #1 reason for the BRS).

At my last race I ran up behind a guy in VFFs and asked him how he liked them. He kept on running and said he liked them fine and asked if I'd ever tried them. I said "Yeah, a couple years ago. I liked them so much I didn't take them off!" And then I ran by him and he laughed when he saw my Bikilas. I did tell him that I usually ran BF, and saved the VFFs for trails and races, mostly,before I left him in my dust.

On the other side of things, I have stopped my car and run after a guy I saw running BF to ask him what his story was. He said it was actually his very first time out on the road BF and that it felst so good he was about to start his 2nd mile. I warned him about TMTS, but never saw him again.

Running alone, I would be hesitant about anyone pulling over. With somebody else, not so much. I always stop for anyone on the trail that has a question. Last Friday a gentleman followed me in the parking lot to ask about the stickers on my car (those oval distance stickers and a pair of bare feet) not a problem. I guess, it is just more comfortable to be on even footing.

I've been running bf for 2 years now, and I run 99% of the time by myself. I stop for anyone that ask questions. I wear my BRS shirt to point them in the right direction. Not a lot of willingness by shoddies to drop their shoes. Doesn't this post point to the fact that most barefoot runners are but a lone wolf. Most people view us either as freak or super natural, as they believe BFing is beyond them. I still don't see a lot of acceptance for BFing. How many of us are the lone barefooter in their region? There's always stories of a spotting but rare is it for two BFers to meet. Maybe it is too dangerous for the Universe?

i've talked with one other bf'r i saw on the trail. FB friends now but have yet to see him again. i've talked with other runners but no one that i know who has joined here nor that i ran with. i'll stop to talk to people in vff or huaraches but most keep on going.

I get comments at races all the time. Well, mostly because I was running in Tucson, AZ and people thought it was crazy to run there barefoot. I still think the oddest comment was during a half marathon. I actually got asked multiple times, "Do you train like that?" My smart ass answer was, "No. I train in shoes, but just come out barefoot for the race." But I was able to stifle that little bastard and reply with, "Train? You mean you're supposed to train for these things?" I have also had a lot of people that run in VFFs make comments. I tell them that I used to use them and found them too restrictive and expensive. I run so much that I was going through a pair every few months. Now I don't pay anything for my running equipment. hahaha.

I usually don't ask other people about it...but then again, I have seen very few other barefoot runners. In all the races that I've done with all the 10's of thousands of participants, I have only ever seen three other barefoot runners. And I was ahead of them at the end of the race, so I didn't get a chance to talk to them...hahaha.

Both my wife and a neighbor tell me there's a barefoot runner here in my neighborhood, a middle-aged guy like me. I would like to meet him, but other than bumping into him by coincidence, I don't know how. Put out an announcement in the neighborhood monthly journal? Seems a bit much. This is as close as I've gotten to meeting another actual, existing barefoot runner since I began running barefoot a second time, some 18 months ago. As far as I know, everyone on BRS is a chipmunk, so I don't count you guys. I did see someone in the gorilla shoes down by the river once, but it was before I got out of my car and I would've felt silly rushing out to run up to them. And I did have someone pull over for me, last fall. At first I ignored him, anticipating a smart remark (although I've never heard one--all comments are either surprise or admiration, so far), but he had heard about bfr and wanted to ask me about it. I gave him my little spiel about it not being as hard as it looks, how it's good for your form, etc., and directed him to BRS and BRU. I wonder if anything came of it.

Yeah, once, when I was a teenager, a van pulled over and two men tried to drag me and my friend into the van. Isn't this how female runners go missing for good? Like Sherry Arnold? The creeps came by in a car and snatched her. It scares the ever loving crap out of me when a motorist tries to get me to approach the vehicle. I run the other way, and if I can, try to snap a picture of the vehicle.

That's what I would be thinking Silly if I was a female. I saw a female bfr a few months back by my home but I was driving and I didn't want to look like a creepo so I just kept going. This is the second bfr I've seen out in the "wild". Both were females and in a 5 mile radius of my home. Not sure if either one is part of the brs but I've never seen them at the brs group runs here... Huh, brs group runs, wonder if I'm still allowed now that I am a shoddie again?

I'm not a barefoot runner, I run in VFFs. I've had numerous people come up to me to ask about the toe shoes. Most recently, a week or so ago, a guy goes to pass me on a path, notices my shoes and starts asking questions. Very educated, inquisitive questions. Things like what difference they make, form differences, etc. Come to find out, he is a physical therapist and was very interested.

I've never seen a barefoot runner in the wild.

Yeah, once, when I was a teenager, a van pulled over and two men tried to drag me and my friend into the van. Isn't this how female runners go missing for good? Like Sherry Arnold? The creeps came by in a car and snatched her. It scares the ever loving crap out of me when a motorist tries to get me to approach the vehicle. I run the other way, and if I can, try to snap a picture of the vehicle.
Ya got that right. Especially on or near a trail or not very public spot.

So I dropped my girls off at day care the other day and on the drive back I saw a man and a woman running, both wearing VFFs. I don't know anybody else in the physical world who runs bf or minimal, so my first thought was that I should pull over and introduce myself. But then I thought that might be weird, and I didn't want to disrupt their workouts, so I just kept driving.

Would you find it weird if somebody pulled over to talk to you when you were running? Has this ever happened to you, or have you pulled over?

I usually spot them with just my eyes. I have thought about using binoculars.

Yesterday at the store, I saw a guy walking around in skeletoes. I asked him, "You run in those?" (I know people who wear vibrams, but do not run and don't just assume certain shoes mean someone is a runner.) It was interesting to see the look so many shoddies must get when they ask the same question. I don't think he noticed my barefeet since I was wearing a long skirt.

Saw a guy in running in Vibrams once while driving on my side of town, but never saw him again.

No barefoot runners. I used to see a fella who would take walks (I think sometimes with his dog) barefoot. Don't recall seeing him recently. I think he walks in the evenings.

One of my retired neighbors down the street yelled across the street, "I used to run barefoot". I think he's around 70 and has health problems and usually stays inside, but I'll have to keep an eye out for him and chat him up next time.

I'm not one to generally stop and chat up people, but if I saw someone run barefoot regularly around here, I might consider it to find a running buddy. Though, I pretty much run only on asphalt and in the early mornings, so odds are probably never.

I did a 5k in the spring in my part of town, didn't see any people barefoot or even in min-shoes. I think someone's mom was wearing Vibrams, but she wasn't running. I saw a guy who was wearing water shoes afterwards (couldn't tell if he ran), but he didn't seem like he was looking for a running buddy. Though, I might join the shoddies at the local running society at some point, perhaps when the weather is cooler since they run later than I would prefer during summertime.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test