Spinoff thread, What are you listening to?

Ok, I'll say two more things

Ok, I'll say two more things about Yngwie, then I'll shut up. First of all, in senior high I was surrounded by Yngwie fanatics so I've turned bashing him into an art form. I'm trying very hard not to do that here. ;) Second, I guess my biggest problem with him is that he's such an a$$. I've friends who've gone to clinics with him and he usually leads off with something like "There are only two musicians in the history of man, JS Bach and YJ Malmsteen" and he's deadly serious. Sure, he's good at what he does but that's no excuse for that kind of behavior. I can't stand arrogant people.

Wow, Yngwie has managed to

Wow, Yngwie has managed to follow me from the Ultimate-guitar forums. BB, he and Michael Angelo Batio actually are the two fastest guitarists who can play well at all. Thier average picking speed is 14 beats per second. The guy who has the world record speed had burst up to 32 per second, but he can't really play guitar for crap, he can just pick fast. The best I've managed is about 10 beats per second, but I'm not really a speed nut anyways. Yngwie wrote some really good music, once. After that he proceeded to release pretty much the same album over and over again. He's a good player, but lacks creativity.

The real greatest player in the world is Randy Rhoads. (Quiet Riot, and Ozzy Ozbourne 1980-82. He's the guy who wrote Crazy Train.) This is him at a soundcheck just messing around and making stuff up. Fricken amazing.

Okay, whatever, I'm obviously not smart enough for this embedding buisiness, so here the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJJCNSVd-U

Don't feel bad, Danjo.  I

Don't feel bad, Danjo. I have higher powers and am able to embed videos.

I totally love Rhodes.

BB, don't make me come over

BB, don't make me come over there.

Love Slash too, Buzz-kill.

Love Slash too, Buzz-kill.

Just because I love him and

Just because I love him and people always get it wrong, its Rhoads, not Rhodes, TJ.

Yes, I recognize the

Yes, I recognize the misspelling. I misspelled in a hurry. As I have so much to do on this site, that will happen now and again. As you will see, it will happen to you too. ;-)

Enough of this speed - listen

Enough of this speed - listen to this artistry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwAj15Rjjc

When was the last time you heard a guitar sound like bagpipes?

I just about fell asleep

I just about fell asleep there, Chris. Just teasing. It's beautiful. It's ALL beautiful.

Eh, Eruption is kinda

Eh, Eruption is kinda over-rated. I mean I can play eruption. Randy's solo? Not so much. And chris, while the video I posted was mostly just speed Randy isn't one of those blazing fast people. He can play super fast, but he also brings in a lot of slower bluesy elements into his solos. Thats what makes him the best, he has technical skill and soul. Try this one, it shows off Randy's other side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UXygnCzB8

And while I've brought up over-rated stuff, if anyone posts a link to "Through the Fire and Flames" or tries to tell me that Herman Li is the best guitarist ever, I will run to your house (barefoot of course) and punch you in the face.

There's a difference between

There's a difference between being skilled and being a good musician. Yngwie and Michael Angelo Batio are skilled but that's about it. And Danjo, jsut to watch you try, Herman Li is the best guitarist EVER! :D

Animals as Leaders. A couple

Animals as Leaders. A couple of cool guitarists in that band.

(No subject)

funny-pictures-cat-asks-you-to-turn-the-music-down.jpg

*Twists the volume knob to 11

*Twists the volume knob to 11 and beyond* TJ, I can't hear you over how awesome Freddie King is. :party:

(Did I say I have a fairly varied taste in music?)

I know you're lovin' your Boy

I know you're lovin' your Boy George, BB!