Specialty running stores are body-shaming people

Applying pressure to foam compresses it. Feet apply pressure at varying levels and in varying places throughout each step. Midsole foam will therefore compress in different amounts, leading to different amounts of drop. The idea of "zero drop" as a flat, runner-neutral platform is therefore only other than complete and utter rubbish* when there is no midsole foam to compress, which is the case with minimalist shoes. But some people still conflate the ideas of zero drop and minimalism, with Runner's World, for example, saying "Altra's running shoes are for minimalist fiends" when some of Altra's thinnest shoes have, I believe, a 14mm midsole. (I can't verify that now because their website banned me; I don't even have permission to read their 403 error {"forbidden"} page.) If "minimal" means "of a minimum amount" (New Oxford American), and if adding foam between outsole and insole exceeds the minimum amount necessary (and none is required, see, e.g., actual minimalist shoes), then any shoe with a midsole fails to qualify as "minimalist."

Zero drop isn't even less-maximalist than traditional wedge-pillow-shoes. If you have the same amount of padding under the heel as under the toes, you'll be standing on a reverse wedge (higher under the toes) during heel-strike -- which encourages ankle dorsiflexion upon landing which, as far as I can tell, exacerbates whiplash along the anterior chain (shin splints, runner's knee, and strains leading up to the iliac crest) and its immediate counterbalance, the lower back. Also, no runner needs as much cushioning under their toes as under their heels, so that padding acts as both anchor (extra weight) and sail (to catch on things, the least of which is wind). Zero drop shoes therefore have more pillow-related problems than traditional Nike wedges.

So, I think zero-drop is a horrible idea, and I cannot imagine that anyone in good faith could call a big thick foam sheet "minimalist." I can forgive consumers for confusing the many ideas that swarm around in a big cloud called "minimalist/barefoot running", but I find it difficult to be patient with those who dance the line Tristan mentioned between making health claims that might be true but which are unsupported (like Vibram did) and making nonsense claims (which have no legal significance; they're "mere puffery") which I've seen demonstrated (in my own knees) as being substantially detrimental. Calling big puffy shoes "minimalist" to attract potential runners who understand that minimalist running might help them run without injury just smacks of malicious greed.

*If I were a gymnast, I'd be in love with zero-drop, heavily padded shoes because they more closely resemble moving across a big flat pad than anything else. In that case, zero-drop is a wonderful feature. For runners, not so much.

As a postscript: I wish running shoe companies could see barefoot running as something to embrace, not to compete against. I love unshod running, and not just because it enabled me to run in the first place. But the more I run the more I gain appreciation for different types of shoes. Traction on wet, muddy, rocky trails? I could see that being useful. Protection for when I can't see the ground? Please, yes. Warmth for when I need to stop running for a while? Great! And, recognizing that those are specialized tools, I'm willing to pay more for exactly the right product. So, if running shoe companies supported barefoot running (and otherwise encouraged people to learn to run, not just to buy shoes and get out there), there's be more runners to buy more shoes, and each might own more shoes than before. Right? I suspect the potential downside of losing a few sales due to folks not replacing their shoes every 300 miles would be more than made up for by runners who, for the first time ever, would be running more than 300 miles per year. If you disagree, that's fine. Just, please, stop co-opting our barefoot terminology to trick novice runners into buying your products.

You do have a lot to say about the subject. I appreciate your putting that well thought-out response together. I'm still on the fence about it, but I prefer barefoot-barefoot running to any other form of running, zero-drop, or otherwise.

I wish running shoe companies could see barefoot running as something to embrace, not to compete against.
I love this statement. The problem for shoes companies is they can't embrace it; they can only compete against it because they can't make money off of true barefoot running.

Do you consider Xero Shoes huaraches zero-drop? They have no cushion whatsoever.

Are you seriously banned from Altra's website? Why?

Reactions: Random
I'm still on the fence about it, but I prefer barefoot-barefoot running to any other form of running, zero-drop, or otherwise.

Running is amazing. That's my bottom line here. If someone is happiest running in combat boots or on pillow-top mattresses, I'll happily celebrate their successes and achievements. If you think zero-drop shoes might be good for you, I hope you are able to give them a try -- and report back to us on how it goes. I love learning new things, especially when it forces me to change my opinion about something. But, if you want my honest opinion, for now, I'll still try to talk you out of it. :)

I love this statement. The problem for shoes companies is they can't embrace it; they can only compete against it because they can't make money off of true barefoot running.

You're right that you can't sell shoes to people who don't wear them. Yet here's my pitch:

If your local running shoe store held a barefoot running clinic a few times a year, wouldn't you think more positively about that store? I know I would, even if I weren't a barefoot runner.

The problem I see isn't a question of market size or potential -- the number of non-runners who want to run and who would benefit from barefoot training seems huge -- but of getting people past their prejudice against barefootedness. The only way forward I see is by setting a good example, which has never been a very profitable endeavor.

Do you consider Xero Shoes huaraches zero-drop? They have no cushion whatsoever.

Yes. Zero-drop is a side-effect of minimalist footwear; most minimalist shoes (like Xero huaraches) have zero drop. What irritates me is when people invert that relationship, implying that all zero-drop footwear is minimalist.

Buy and use Xero huaraches because they offer the most feel and ventilation of any retail product (that I've seen) while also offering protection. I love my Xero 4mm huaraches. They let me run on paths that have miles of chip-seal pavement, and on other paths that have occasional pools of large-diameter crushed granite gravel, which I'm not happy running on while barefoot. And they're cheap, and if you wear the huaraches out Xero will basically send you a new pair at cost. I'm a huge fan. But don't buy them because they have zero drop.

Are you seriously banned from Altra's website? Why?
I believe I was. (The site seems to be working fine now.) I aggressively prevent my browsers from running JavaScript or loading third-party content. Most sites tolerate this. Some require adjustments -- like with this site, I enable a bunch of stuff because I want to log in and interact with folks. Some sites don't like it and refuse to display content, usually on the assumption that I'm a bot that's causing lots of traffic without any upside for the host. (This is ironic because those sites work fine with adblockers and I'm generating less traffic than that by orders of magnitude, but I'm happy to avoid those sites once identified.) This is the first time I've had problems that revealed sheer incompetence on behalf of the website, though.

Reactions: Random
What irritates me is when people invert that relationship, implying that all zero-drop footwear is minimalist.

I totally get this.

I believe I was. (The site seems to be working fine now.) I aggressively prevent my browsers from running JavaScript or loading third-party content. Most sites tolerate this. Some require adjustments -- like with this site, I enable a bunch of stuff because I want to log in and interact with folks. Some sites don't like it and refuse to display content, usually on the assumption that I'm a bot that's causing lots of traffic without any upside for the host. (This is ironic because those sites work fine with adblockers and I'm generating less traffic than that by orders of magnitude, but I'm happy to avoid those sites once identified.) This is the first time I've had problems that revealed sheer incompetence on behalf of the website, though.

Ah, so you basically banned yourself! Ha!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test