Spartan Race

BarefootLifeguard

Barefooters
May 7, 2012
I'm curious how many of you have run a spartan race barefoot? And who would say its a good idea? I'm really all for it, I'm just not sure whether or not its a great idea due to unknown terrain and the possible need of some extra grip I can't get with my feet.

i've done the warrior dash bf. i ran it the year before in bikilas. i also ran two other races in the same ranch bf. the other race was definitely harder than the warrior dash.

can't help you with your decision there. i don't know how comfortable you are going bare nor the terrain. ask yourself if you ever have to slow down for gravel or do you speed up? do you enjoy it or wince in pain? if you're hesitant than put on some shoes. there's always next year.

side note. i won't be doing the spartan race. too much money. charging for spectators? come on.

Ran a similar race this weekend in Winnipeg called Dirty Donkey, basically a crazy water and mud run with obstacles. I ran it barefoot and found no issues, most of the obstacles I found I was able to get through quicker with barefoot, people with shoes were sliding all over the place and complaining about mud and water soaked shoes. Ha, check one for the no shoe approach.
I agree with Mike, if you are not sure your feet can handle the terrain, then go with shoes and look at it as a recon mission for barefoot next year.

Thanks guys! I'm confident in my feet, just looking for some veteran wisdom!
Then just go for it and have fun. The biggest thing I noticed is when the obstacle is made of wood, you will be up and over it quicker with barefeet, those shodies will be slipping and sliding all over the place. Just be careful in the really muddy areas, dig those toes in for traction and you will be fine.

if you check out my blog link i posted about the warrior dash. at the end of it i posted a video some guy made with his gopro cam. it's AWESOME! at one point one guy runs across a horizontal cargo net where everyone, including me, was on hands and knees.

Reactions: jldeleon
I'm tempted to race at least one of these type of races.
I think barefoot would be much better for stability and avoid rolling an ankle etc.
The only thing I wonder about is the need to push off and really F-ing up your feet on something like a stray battle axe or viking helmet

I think were I to do another Warrior Dash or similar race I would use water shoes. grippy, decent traction, flat, flexible...I struggled a bit with conditions barefoot in my last Warrior Dash, but the obstacles were definitely easier shoeless.

Dirty Donkey is a part of a series of events put on by one of our outdoor supply companies in Winnipeg, Dirty Donkey being a 5km mud and obstacle run, Swamp Donkey being a run, canoe, mountain bike adventure race in the Whiteshell Provincial Park (basically a whole lot of bushwacking) c/w orienteering (usually a 9 hour event min), Ice Donkey which is a run, skate and snow shoe event in February (usually it is between -25 and -35 for this event and 3 to 6 hours); and Pain in the Assiniboine, which is a canoe up the river (against the current) and then bike back to the start line (usually a 4 to 6 our event). They are all a helluva good time.

Bonus Question: What is a Swamp Donkey?

lomad, not doing the dash this year? jen and paraganek are doing it saturday morning with me. we even have the new guys chris and stjohn looking up people selling their spots. oh yeah, new girl katherine is doing it saturday also. gonna be a party!

do a couple less cheaper races and you can do the dash. ;)

I'm curious how many of you have run a spartan race barefoot? And who would say its a good idea? I'm really all for it, I'm just not sure whether or not its a great idea due to unknown terrain and the possible need of some extra grip I can't get with my feet.

One way to decide is to look on the site and they "should" have photos of all the obstacles, or videos where you can see what you are in for. The Spartan Race is probably one of the top two toughes and longest obstacle courses out there, so I would definitely wear some sort of shoe. I am going to be doing the Warrior Dash for the first time this year. I can already see a couple of obstacles where I am likely to slip and fall on my ass onto some hard metal objects -not my idea of a good time. Gotta always adhere to my number one goal - AVOID INJURY/PAIN. I am also a "bit" concerned about stabbing pieces of rogue metal through my foot -especially since climbing over rusty cars is part of the obstacle course. Probably better make sure my tetanus shot is up to date. Lol.

Reactions: NickW
I'm tempted to race at least one of these type of races.
I think barefoot would be much better for stability and avoid rolling an ankle etc.
The only thing I wonder about is the need to push off and really F-ing up your feet on something like a stray battle axe or viking helmet

Actually, on one of the groups on Facebook, for eithe Spartan or Tough Mudder, someone asked what people usually wore on their feet for these races. And surprisingly, about 20% said they did it barefoot -and these were not barefoot runners, so who knows. Maybe I am underestimating the traction of my feet.

A stray battle axe or viking helmet - hilarious!

Actually, on one of the groups on Facebook, for eithe Spartan or Tough Mudder, someone asked what people usually wore on their feet for these races. And surprisingly, about 20% said they did it barefoot -and these were not barefoot runners, so who knows. Maybe I am underestimating the traction of my feet.

A stray battle axe or viking helmet - hilarious!

I was starting to wonder if anyone noticed that comment as odd or just read right over it......lol

I was starting to wonder if anyone noticed that comment as odd or just read right over it......lol

I am fairly certain the Warrior Dash helmets are soft...Mike has a couple so he would know. I imagine he wears them around his apartment on occasion, flexing in the mirror, and yelling like a Viking. Lol.

Reactions: Zetti and NickW
I am fairly certain the Warrior Dash helmets are soft...Mike has a couple so he would know. I imagine he wears them around his apartment on occasion, flexing in the mirror, and yelling like a Viking. Lol.
Now I have this vision in my head, all oiled up, lol!!!!!!!! I can see a leather harness type thing on Mury, lol!!!! I am so cracking up Jen!!!

the dash is way to rich for my blood... I stay to the cheaper races.
This. The Dash falls into my 'rest window' this season. And I didn't feel the value at the 65 buck entry fee last time I did it. I did Cascade Lakes Relay earlier this month ($$), and I have Hood to Coast this weekend (free for me, since I picked up as an alternate for an injured runner), plus a trail half marathon in November.

I may do WD next year, but a buddy's trying to recruit me for Tough Mudder instead, so we'll see...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test