Soon turned out, had a shard of glass

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Sorry for the awful lyric pun, but the song is stuck in my head now thanks to my daughter's tiktok addiction. :)

Last week I was jogging along the local street with my almost two year old perched on my shoulders and felt a sting on the very tip of my big toe. I stopped to check, but apart from a small amount of blood and a little ache I couldn't find anything in there. It hung in there for a week or so, just nagging away and leaving me unsure of whether I had something in my toe or not.

This morning I went for a long run and came back with a tiny bit of bleeding and decided it was time to think about digging in, although the thought made me feel a bit queasy. Fortunately though, after a long shower I was able to push hard either side of it and had the most satisfying moment when the whole shard literally leapt out of the nick in my toe (unfortunately it didn't make a cartoony 'pop' sound, that would have been better obviously) and sat up for me to grab with tweezers. It was only about a millimetre or two long and quite thin, so I was lucky to get it.

That made me wonder, how long do you have before a cut like that would heal and keep the glass in? Is digging with pins or suchlike ever advisable, or is it better to let the body push them out with a bit of help?

I've found that even after they heal up it takes very little for them to cut you again and start hurting. Now that I know the symptoms, I just dig in with my pocket knife. If it's festering, the shard pops out with some pus and I'm done. Otherwise, when the knife hits the end of the shard, it suddenly hurts. That tells me where it is and I dig it out.

I recognise that feeling -a little bit like a bruise might feel and quite irritating when it doesn’t go away and you know you’ve picked up a passenger!..
I’ve had a couple of tiny shards in the past and I’m afraid i generally succumb to digging them out (I know medical advice would recommend doing nothing that might introduce infection-so don’t tell anyone else!;)).
Feels good when you finally liberate the offending item though doesn’t it. And they’re always really really small...

I'd get that puppy out before your skin grew over it and made it a permanent fixture. I've done this all my life and never had a problem. I just pulled a splinter out of my 18-year-old baby's foot the other day, and before he could whine, it was gone! Felt better immediately. It's odd how something so tiny could cause so much pain.

I'd get that puppy out before your skin grew over it and made it a permanent fixture. I've done this all my life and never had a problem. I just pulled a splinter out of my 18-year-old baby's foot the other day, and before he could whine, it was gone! Felt better immediately. It's odd how something so tiny could cause so much pain.

It hurts a lot more if someone else does it. I don't know why.

Reactions: Barefoot TJ
Because we are all big baby, sissy wah-wahs to a degree. :)

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts