Some Scenes from my local running course

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by Neil_D, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Neil_D

Neil_D Chapter Presidents
    1. Australia
    2. Presidents

I thought I'd put up a few photos of views that greet me on my regular run after I finish my work for the day.
    As you can imagine, after being cooped up in a room all day in front of a PC, hardly knowing what the weather is doing outside is not the best for a human being as we are being separated more and more from the natural world.

DSCF0926S.jpg
    Outlook from the bridge over the Torrens River Estuary looking west into the sunset. The statue of a Pelican can be seen on the post by the beach.

DSCF0927S.jpg
    The good bitumen running surface on the way towards West Beach

DSCF0930S.jpg
    Local Pelicans on the river outlet looking for a feed

DSCF0934S.jpg
    A panoramic shot of the local beach with the river swinging around before it reaches the sea. For most of the summer period the river slows to a trickle. Most water flow is during the late winter months. Adelaide has the smallest of the rivers that most Australian cities are situated on.
    The above scenes are on my 10km course that I run a couple of times each week. It is the best place to run during the winter as it gets the last of the winter sun and is a wide path that is easy to navigate in the dark.

Neil

murls, Spiderweb62, Sid and 2 others like this.
  2. Larry

Larry Barefooters
    1. Australia

Nice photos Neil. That looks like a pleasant place to run, and a great way to wind down after a day in the office. Looks like a good path for the darker months coming up.

I've always thought pelicans are hugely under-rated. You see a few of them down my way, but it is rare enough that I can't help but stop and stare whenever a few of them fly overhead.

3. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Larry,
    There are quite a few Pelicans around here, they love hanging out around any people who are fishing so that they can pick of the fish first. I remember watching a Cormorant catching a fish then a Pelican coming up behind it then stealing it from right out of it's mouth. They are pretty cheeky birds.
    They are mesmerising when in flight as they glide effortlessly overhead.
    The beach path is good to run on, especially when the tide is too high on the beach. I had a chilly 9km run today, I think it was around 11C when I went out this morning.

Neil

4. Barefoot TJ

Barefoot TJ Administrator
    1. Nomad

Thanks for sharing! Those are beautiful pictures. Did you take them? I love the pelican, but was a little bummed when you said it was a statue. I was wondering if its neck was broke though. Ha!

5. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi TJ,
    Yes, I took the photos on Sunday just before sunset. The Pelicans look like young ones as the fully grow ones are around a metre high, they are huge birds and when they fly overhead you just have to stop and watch them gliding effortlessly above you.
    There are a few Pelican statues on different beaches, they must be like local legends :)

Neil

6. paulbeales

paulbeales Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Hi Neil. I have awarded one of your photos the cover page slot on the BRS FB page :)

Neil_D likes this.
  7. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

Neil those pictures are simply STUNNING you lucky duck to have such beautiful scenery outside your window!!.
    Its very different here, different beautiful.... only problem is to get here
    28th april 2015 2514.jpg

I have to first run up here....
    28th april 2015 2507.jpg

Great thread though! More pics please :)

8. Manuwi

Manuwi Barefooters
    1. Australia

This one used to be my local. Great hills for flying down.

Attached Files:

9. kalipyjamas

kalipyjamas Barefooters
    1. Australia
    2. United Kingdom

That's so cool!!!! Where is it??? RNP???

10. Neil_D

1. Australia
    2. Presidents

Hi Kal,
    Australia is such a sharp stony place.
    New Zealand is a nice soft place, made for barefoot running.
    I would like to go back there to have a few runs again.

Neil